"Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !

Askeroff

I really don't understand the fuss about the artwork.

Is it ugly? Yes, of course. Does it matter in 2022? No.

This is not intended for print, it won't be released commercially on CD or vinyl. Singles artwork don't matter anymore cause they will be just a few pixel on your Spotify, and you won't even see it because you'll play your music in the background while you have other apps running. Why would they waste so much money for a cheap, rushed released like this? This is just meant to get some sweet streaming numbers while the song is trending. The 16-year-olds that will stream this don't give a fuck about the artwork.

She delivered for every single of the Madame X era and every single album cover (well, maybe not Hard Candy). So bitch about it if the next album cover looks like this, not a random, meaning-less single that will be forgotten by March.

36 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

I’m now convinced that the real problem with negativity on this forum is that it is fundamentally always an expression of an inner frustration with not feeling like we older fans belong to the culture that Madonna has her finger on the pulse of.

Exactly. We got old and we think like we're still in 2000. It"s not good or bad, it's just that everything is different now and we sometimes react to things the way our parents reacted to stuff we loved back in the day. 

Now, could people on Tik Tok make ALL the Rebel Heart demos viral so she will release them and we finally can have them all in better quality ?

42 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Exactly. We got old and we think like we're still in 2000. It"s not good or bad, it's just that everything is different now and we sometimes react to things the way our parents reacted to stuff we loved back in the day. 

Now, could people on Tik Tok make ALL the Rebel Heart demos viral so she will release them and we finally can have them all in better quality ?

Also the artwork for the cover is a sign of the times. Is not that she's crazy or Aldo is shit... if people take time to look at the covers of the singles released for young generations, they are more or less in the same vein. But people here want the artwork of Human Nature or Don't tell me single, and that's not going to happen at this stage. What it was, is on the past, and now is what it is, and Madonna is still good accepting the changes and introducing them to her career. I personally love FEL cover and Back That Up To The Beat ones. 

Even if she farts and does a 'sped up version' of it, it's still better than any of Cher, Kylie or other camp acts of her generation. I prefer 200 hundred Frozen rmx or Hung Up with Tokicha, than 'Magic' 'Golden' or other camp records for Sitges rich gay men. 

I didn't like streaming at the beginning. It was weird not 'posessing' something. But now I love it, and we have also different ways of completing our collections buying phyisical or dowloading them, so new ways of discovering music and collaborating on the virality of her songs, are really welcomed. 

4 hours ago, antknee said:

This may have been covered in an earlier post, but I don’t feel like going through 30 pages of comments… Anyone else noticed that there are bootleg versions of back that up to the beat on streaming and iTunes? They are under different band names that have been there for at least a week if not more depending on the version that is there.

Report those shady versions. 

23 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

Also the artwork for the cover is a sign of the times. Is not that she's crazy or Aldo is shit... if people take time to look at the covers of the singles released for young generations, they are more or less in the same vein. But people here want the artwork of Human Nature or Don't tell me single, and that's not going to happen at this stage. What it was, is on the past, and now is what it is, and Madonna is still good accepting the changes and introducing them to her career. I personally love FEL cover and Back That Up To The Beat ones. 

Even if she farts and does a 'sped up version' of it, it's still better than any of Cher, Kylie or other camp acts of her generation. I prefer 200 hundred Frozen rmx or Hung Up with Tokicha, than 'Magic' 'Golden' or other camp records for Sitges rich gay men. 

I didn't like streaming at the beginning. It was weird not 'posessing' something. But now I love it, and we have also different ways of completing our collections buying phyisical or dowloading them, so new ways of discovering music and collaborating on the virality of her songs, are really welcomed. 

Madonna came up with a new "technology" aka music videos, she was the queen of it but when MTV happened old timers hated it and disqualified it. There's this Music Seminar panel 1984 video where she's standing up to Hall&Oates, James Brown & George Clinton on the matter. 

As far as artwork is concerned, i already said that i hope she paid Aldo a minimum fee this time for his work (because work is work and work deserves a salary), but as taste goes it's not worst than the Hard Candy cover which is up there with the worst album covers ever (and not only Madonna's) and that was done "professionally" by a self proclaimed  fan (Giovanni Bianco). 

This really should come as a nice surprise, a small victory on a troubled era that M is owning back, just like she did with SEX last month. But alas, instead, too many sad people here will only focus on sharing negative reactions, bitterness and pickiness.

Name another case of a leaked demo becoming official and also a hit thanks to the listeners' will, not a marketing stunt.

What's with this disturbing obsesssion about aRtWoRk and Aldo, each time closer to outright slur and rudeness?

I really dig that silly and funky song. Maybe it's not her best, so what. M has treated us with so many interesting digital releases this year.

And Deezer is finally showing me M new releases, it's about time : )

screenshot-www.deezer.com-2022_12.30-10_36_24.png.a6deeae31af5969681dbf4d5c44d2108.png

12 hours ago, Prayer said:

It's old and tiring when the "fan who got lucky" thing has been used since 2015. It's also quite disrespectful. He's been working for her for years now and obviously she likes it. It's her choice. And he deserves credit and respect for getting her attention and still getting covers from her.

It's OK not to like it, of course. And it's OK to say you don't like it. But the personal attacks to Aldo are, in my opinion, unnecessary. He is a graphic designer working for Madonna, even if you hate the result. I don't know what could get more real than designing for her. You don't say a certain co-writer or co-producer is not a musician just because you don't like a song they did with Madonna.

I don't even know Aldo of course and don't LOVE all of his work (quite like his "Finally Enough Love" cover, though and this new one is fun), but the hate towards him is too much.

jealousy!

This really should come as a nice surprise, a small victory on a troubled era that M is owning back, just like she did with SEX last month. But alas, instead, too many sad people here will only focus on sharing negative reactions, bitterness and pickiness.

Name another case of a leaked demo becoming official and also a hit thanks to the listeners' will, not a marketing stunt.

What's with this disturbing obsesssion about aRtWoRk and Aldo, each time closer to outright slur and rudeness?

I really dig that silly and funky song. Maybe it's not her best, so what. M has treated us with so many interesting digital releases this year.

And Deezer is finally showing me M new releases, it's about time : )

screenshot-www.deezer.com-2022_12.30-10_36_24.png.f0bdeecee655207d72b3e01154ed1368.png

Sure, Aldo is an amateur. He has some talent, but he doesn't have any taste.

Another problem is the material he gets from Madonna. You really can't work with basic selfies or whatever, and expect a great work. You need professional photoshoot stuff and then a designer for a cover.  There have been some great photos of Madonna on Instagram and she could have chosen any of those. What she chose isn't for a cover at all. We shouldn't blame just Aldo, but maybe he is the one who chose that photo.

"Art is subjective excuse" is tiring. That could mean that everyone can be an artist and any crap can be art. It isn't that simple. There are still rules and principles that need to be respected. And this is coming from someone who has studied art and works in that field. There are skillful artists who draw really well, but just because their work is commercial, basic and similar to works of other people, it means it doesn't really have some value and isn't material for serious galleries and museums. Many of them think other people are jealous, but it isn't that. They have talent, but they don't think out of the box. Great art is more than a skill. There are also modern artists who are creative, and who go to extremes just to try to be original and contemporary. While I do respect them more than the basic artists, I think they work tends to be "cheap shock for the sake of it" and soulless. Anyway, we can't ignore always present kitsch in our society. 

What fascinates me the most is Madonna going from visual perfections to cheap and tacky visuals. 

Just now, moloko said:

if this was Warner Bross release, BTU would be already added in many popular playlists. :)

It's December 30th. There's not even New Music Friday playlists today - only week in the year this happens. It's good that it's out now cause it's gonna work on its own anyway and it was going down on Shazam already (it was now or never), but don't expect any big playlists placements until next week.

4 minutes ago, Justice said:

Another problem is the material he gets from Madonna. You really can't work with basic selfies or whatever, and expect a great work. You need professional photoshoot stuff and then a designer for a cover.  There have been some great photos of Madonna on Instagram and she could have chosen any of those. What she chose isn't for a cover at all. We shouldn't blame just Aldo, but maybe he is the one who chose that photo.

"Art is subjective excuse" is tiring. That could mean that everyone can be an artist and any crap can be art. It isn't that simple. There are still rules and principles that need to be respected. And this is coming from someone who has studied art and works in that field. There are skillful artists who draw really well, but just because their work is commercial, basic and similar to works of other people, it means it doesn't really have some value and isn't material for serious galleries and museums. Many of them think other people are jealous, but it isn't that. They have talent, but they don't think out of the box. Great art is more than a skill. There are also modern artists who are creative, and who go to extremes just to try to be original and contemporary. While I do respect them more than the basic artists, I think they work tends to be "cheap shock for the sake of it" and soulless. Anyway, we can't ignore always present kitsch in our society. 

What fascinates me the most is Madonna going from visual perfections to cheap and tacky visuals. 

i4k0rzxo35i51_webp.4f68754c12d4c01e75c04956017289b0

2 minutes ago, Justice said:

But art IS 100% subjective. What's great and exciting for you can be boring and dull for me and the other way around.

Also, with all respects, having studied art and/or working on it doesn't make your view or point more valid. Besides, how do you know those who like the latest cover haven't studied art or have an artistic job outside this forum? It's easy to assume things but the reality is we never know.

About the rules and principles to be respected in art... well, Madonna broke ALL OF THEM in music, video, fashion and performances. All of them. She wouldn't be the icon she is and here today if she hadn't done that.

Plus, the big elephant in the room here, in my opinion, is...

Madonna never had AMAZING single covers. Album covers? Yes. Single covers? Not that many,

She's always been very practical about it all and maybe always saw singles for what they are: promotional and marketing material. In fact, many times she got the rights from big magazine photoshoots to later use those pictures on her artwork (smart cheap lady!).

She's given us singles covers like this before, and with big designers involved:

220px-Madonna_-_Nothing_Fails.png220px-Madonna_-_Jump_(single).png

220px-Madonna_-_Miles_Away_(single).png220px-Living_for_Love_Remixes_cover.png

And many other examples.

To sum it up: it's not that deep.

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

But art IS 100% subjective. What's great and exciting for you can be boring and dull for me and the other way around.

Also, with all respects, having studied art and/or working on it doesn't make your view or point more valid. Besides, how do you know those who like the latest cover haven't studied art or have an artistic job outside this forum? It's easy to assume things but the reality is we never know.

About the rules and principles to be respected in art... well, Madonna broke ALL OF THEM in music, video, fashion and performances. All of them. She wouldn't be the icon she is and here today if she hadn't done that.

Madonna never had AMAZING single covers. Album covers? Yes. Single covers? Not that many,

She's always been very practical about it all and maybe always saw singles for what they are: promotional and marketing material. In fact, many times she got the rights from big magazine photoshoots to later use those pictures on her artwork (smart cheap lady!).

She's given us singles covers like this before, and with big designers involved:

And many other examples.

Love your posts, as always! Thank you x 3! 

PD: Nothing Fails artwork is the worst thing ever created. 

12 minutes ago, Prayer said:

And many other examples.

Yeah the Back That Up cover is way way better than those covers posted above.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

But your own experience of something doesn't have to mean something is bad or good. It doesn't matter if we feel Mona Lisa is boring or exciting, it is the elements of the painting that needs to be analyzed. 

I don't know if my point is valid,  but there are a lot of laymen on the internet who think they know better about some subjects than people whose profession is that subject.

You approach is very shallow and you obviously have no idea what I am talking about. I was talking about fine arts (painting, graphic design...), but since you mentioned Madonna's videos. Yes, they broke rules, but they still followed the main principles of art which made them great. Why is that hard to understand? Can't you tell a difference of quality and artistic value between Like a Prayer and Turn Up The Radio?

• Enrico unfeatured this topic