"Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !

Askeroff

This surprise hit might pay off in giving a new, wider hype for other M demos & unreleased tracks, as the reissues are going to start #soon and, so far, only fans are aware of them for real.

Conspiracy theory me wants to believe that this is the greatest UGC campaign/guerrilla marketing/social hack ever made.

5 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

This surprise hit might pay off in giving a new, wider hype for other M demos & unreleased tracks, as the reissues are going to start #soon and, so far, only fans are aware of them for real.

Conspiracy theory me wants to believe that this is the greatest UGC campaign/guerrilla marketing/social hack ever made.

It won't. Madonna getting a demo "hit" won’t mean shit to her. If anything it will lead to her making more music like this and I personally think that is a horrible outlook.

28 minutes ago, MPowered said:

It won't. Madonna getting a demo "hit" won’t mean shit to her. If anything it will lead to her making more music like this and I personally think that is a horrible outlook.

I'm taking about old demos, not "new music".

I'm saying BTUTTB could make people curious about former eras when the reissues happen with those gems in her unreleased discography (some we know and others we have probably never heard of).

Oh, and how come something that "means no shit to her" would "lead to her making" more, anyway? This doesn't make any sense.

On the one hand I totally get why fans care so much about charts and what that means for her standing in the current music scene. And what it means for future releases of unreleased and new material.

On the other hand...it's all usually just so that Stan War/ Queen of the Universe/ "Her Title can never be taken!" crowd can gloat or prove something when it's time to talk about "Lady Caca", "Mooriah", or "Janitor Jackson".

Happy it's doing well. Happy if people pay for it or don't. If it brings her some good will, new fans, or brings some old ones back into the fold. Hooray for everybody.

Worldwide iTunes Song Chart - 2022/12/30

#2 (+154) Madonna - Back That Up To The Beat

European iTunes Song Chart - 2022/12/30

1 (NEW) Madonna - Back That Up To The Beat

Back That Up To The Beat on Spotify *early debut from AU/NZ*

DEMO VERSION - 3,111

SPED UP VERSION - 2,405

P.S.: For comparison, Frozen (Sickick Remix) did 3,595 and went on to have a debut with full Friday's numbers of 181,592.

3 hours ago, androiduser said:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but iTunes sales are so low that being #1 even for a few days amounts to really low sales... right now the #1 song on UK itunes amounts to 430 downloads.... in Belgium it's 50 downloads

But that would apply to all artists.  So even if it may add up to low sales to get to #1, it would mean other artists aren't selling much either.  So in reality, she's selling just as much as other artists in the top 10.  Also, she would gross more money from digital sales than streaming.  

6 minutes ago, tscott said:

But that would apply to all artists.  So even if it may add up to low sales to get to #1, it would mean other artists aren't selling much either.  So in reality, she's selling just as much as other artists in the top 10.  Also, she would gross more money from digital sales than streaming.  

of course, but the others are doing much better on streaming, and that's the true test of popularity nowadays. Doing well on the least important platform is meaningless if she doesn't do well elsewhere.

3 hours ago, vesalii said:

It's kinda cute that you guys keep thinking that iTunes is something nowadays, streaming guys, let's stream that song.

Right? iTunes hasn't been relevant since the late 2010s. Nowadays topping iTunes is the equivalent of receiving a participation award for coming in last place in a race lol.

This trend of pop stars releasing old songs as singles just because said songs went viral on TikTok for a few days is so weird to me. Not only is TikTok extremely fickle and therefore not a good way to judge the longevity of a single, but I also imagine that it must take a lot of  time, effort and money to promote a single like this, which doesn't seem worth it if it'll only chart in a very European countries and the US Dance chart at most. 

1 minute ago, Nahual said:

TikTok extremely fickle and therefore not a good way to judge the longevity of a single, but I also imagine that it must take a lot of  time, effort and money to promote a single like this

actually, I think it's really easy, somebody else did all the work, they just have to make the right version available on the streaming platforms. They get some success for minimal effort.

3 minutes ago, androiduser said:

of course, but the others are doing much better on streaming, and that's the true test of popularity nowadays. Doing well on the least important platform is meaningless if she doesn't do well elsewhere.

Yes streaming is the way - iTunes is cool for people who want to own digital copies of the music but that audience is significantly smaller than the audience that streams. 

3 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Sure.  But it doesn't mean we should dismiss the chart.  She still able to keep up with those other artists who may be more popular at streaming by selling just as much digital copes if not more, depending where she charts.  As I stated, she makes more money from the digital sales versus the streaming anyway.  So its a win for her, while those popular with streaming have to be streamed far more before they can make as much money.  

14 minutes ago, Nahual said:

Right? iTunes hasn't been relevant since the late 2010s. Nowadays topping iTunes is the equivalent of receiving a participation award for coming in last place in a race lol.

This trend of pop stars releasing old songs as singles just because said songs went viral on TikTok for a few days is so weird to me. Not only is TikTok extremely fickle and therefore not a good way to judge the longevity of a single, but I also imagine that it must take a lot of  time, effort and money to promote a single like this, which doesn't seem worth it if it'll only chart in a very European countries and the US Dance chart at most. 

Madonna hasn’t had a proper chart hit in so long now I really don’t think that is the goal anymore for her/her team label. It’s about keeping her name out there and introducing her to the next generation. Fickle as it may be the next generation are all avid users of tik tok. That’s one of the main places they are likely to discover music. So of course she’s going to want to expand her profile on there and take advantage of any song gaining attention through that platform. It’s kind of a no brainer.

I don't know WHAT they did to the release on streaming but it sounds really terrible compared to the old leak.

It's almost as if they made the sped up version and then the other version is slowed back down. You hear it right away, the song usually started with the same cut sound 4 times but on the streaming one they sound all off and uneven...

3 minutes ago, bertrand said:

I don't know WHAT they did to the release on streaming but it sounds really terrible compared to the old leak.

It's almost as if they made the sped up version and then the other version is slowed back down. You hear it right away, the song usually started with the same cut sound 4 times but on the streaming one they sound all off and uneven...

Perhaps they don’t even have the original files or an uncompressed version anymore? The leak to me sounded pretty rough and unfinished so maybe it was just discarded back then.

12 minutes ago, tscott said:

Sure.  But it doesn't mean we should dismiss the chart.  She still able to keep up with those other artists who may be more popular at streaming by selling just as much digital copes if not more, depending where she charts.  As I stated, she makes more money from the digital sales versus the streaming anyway.  So its a win for her, while those popular with streaming have to be streamed far more before they can make as much money.  

you do realize that all these other artists have also had their #1? being #1 for a day or two doesn't mean she's selling more than the others did

• Enrico unfeatured this topic