Girl Gone Wild (Demo) Question

RUADJAI

9 minutes ago, Shoful said:

That demo sounds basically the same besides their voices and the one lyric change. I was expecting a bigger difference :dead:

It’s the “like a girl GONE wild! A good-girl gone WILD” vocal styling that a lot of us are referring to. Most of us played the videoclip recorded outside her home over and over and over again back in 2011 to the point where we were kinda letdown that it didn’t make the final cut. :/ 

3 minutes ago, androiduser said:

it's happening way too often at this point... it started on a large scale with Ray of Light

So many artists do it today that its become common practice. I wouldn't mind it happening if they were forced to release writing percentages. Cause yea even if you created one line you are still a songwriter which I respect but I wanna see how much she actually writes lol. I feel like the Madame X songs were written mostly by her. 

Didn't she force some guy during Erotica to only pick one song he could be credited on?

7 minutes ago, Shoful said:

Didn't she force some guy during Erotica to only pick one song he could be credited on?

That was Shep Pettibone, not her (he told Anthony Shimkin that he could only pick one song to have co-writer credit on and Shimkin picked "Deeper" cause he though it was the sure hit). But surely she knew what was happening there.

Let's admit it: the music industry is a shady business and she's a business woman too.

31 minutes ago, Shoful said:

So many artists do it today that its become common practice. I wouldn't mind it happening if they were forced to release writing percentages. Cause yea even if you created one line you are still a songwriter which I respect but I wanna see how much she actually writes lol. I feel like the Madame X songs were written mostly by her. 

yeah, I don't mind that this is how the music business works, and who am I to have a say in this, but the fact is that it's not really transparent, and big names can have their way with uknown artists. A big star like Madonna, or any of her contemporaries, can get a credit for minimum input or else the deal is off and the song is not released. In Madonna's case, she was often discovering new collaborators and got credit when they brought finished material. Note that she didn't get the production credit in any of the Timbaland tracks, because he was a huge deal and probably wouldn't agree to this.

52 minutes ago, Shoful said:

I feel like the Madame X songs were written mostly by her. 

considering the credits for this album and her overall record of lyrical contribution, i doubt it... except when it was mostly her and mirwais writing a song since he’s not a native speaker (neither am i) and his fluency in english is rather unknown.

53 minutes ago, androiduser said:

yeah, I don't mind that this is how the music business works, and who am I to have a say in this, but the fact is that it's not really transparent, and big names can have their way with uknown artists. A big star like Madonna, or any of her contemporaries, can get a credit for minimum input or else the deal is off and the song is not released. In Madonna's case, she was often discovering new collaborators and got credit when they brought finished material. Note that she didn't get the production credit in any of the Timbaland tracks, because he was a huge deal and probably wouldn't agree to this.

The deal is : I'm Madonna and I'm singing one of your songs on my album that will be a Top 10 release at least, maybe a single, and probably will go on a worldwide tour (also released on video), so you'll get big royalties and we're sharing songwriting credits since I gave my input on "this and that parts" and I'm pushing your career. If you don't agree to this, I'm not using your song and it won't get the same exposure or make the same amount of money if any.

Very common practice. Especially for someone as savvy as M, who owns most of her publishing rights. Shady? No, it's a deal. Those who don't want to play by these rules don't send demos to major companies A&R anyway.

Producer credits are another deal. You have to be in the studio working on the track. If not, you're just the singer performing it.

I mean… the idea that the ghost writers are being taken advantage of is not 100% truth. Part of what makes a Madonna song go to number 1 is the fact that it is released as a Madonna song. If a nobody released GGW it probably would have gotten minimal play. Also, when stars reach Madonna and Beyoncé status they have unrealistic expectations and there is no option for failure as there are a lot of peoples finances dependent upon their success… So having an expectation of Madonna must write every lyric and it must be the best fucking song in the world is a bit unrealistic.

So yes, writers may not get a writing credit so they are paid for eternity, but they are certainly paid a lump sum for their work and they all know that going into it I’m sure. 

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Yep, the snippet recorded outside M's home in London was the Rosette demo:

A banger, if you ask me. I've always loved GGW in all its basic bop glory.

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Wasn't that the Rosette demo? That leaked...

i guess it was this demo… 😭

It just sounded so much better and more avant-garde when the chorus was playing over and over. IMO Madonna messed the chorus up on the finished product. That part is definitely the hook, and she butchered it. She did make the Hey yeah yeah part better though. 

8 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

The deal is : I'm Madonna and I'm singing one of your songs on my album that will be a Top 10 release at least, maybe a single, and probably will go on a worldwide tour (also released on video), so you'll get big royalties and we're sharing songwriting credits since I gave my input on "this and that parts" and I'm pushing your career. If you don't agree to this, I'm not using your song and it won't get the same exposure or make the same amount of money if any.

Very common practice. Especially for someone as savvy as M, who owns most of her publishing rights. Shady? No, it's a deal. Those who don't want to play by these rules don't send demos to major companies A&R anyway.

Producer credits are another deal. You have to be in the studio working on the track. If not, you're just the singer performing it.

We were writing the same thing at the same time. 🤓

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

the idea that the ghost writers are being taken advantage of is not 100% truth

2 things here: if they're "real" ghost writers, they are professionals / artistic consultants and advisers very much aware of how it works, like ghost writers in the book industry, those who write the autobiographies or whatever bullshit recipes and life hacks from celebrities, their contracts are written accordingly and confidentiality is key (confidentiality is part of the money).

If they're young or unknown or ill-advised songwriters, they can be taken advantage of, of course, but M and her record company don't want bad publicity about this. So, when they complain, it's because they feel the deal wasn't fair. Then lawyers come into play and settle things. Probably what happened with God Control.

I'm so glad she did not write that shit song. I find solace in this whenever i'm reminded of the existence of this abomination.

It's really the shit sound of the early 10's and that awful american EDM sound. 

Seeing how MDNA is only demos written by others it really is the last nail in the coffin of that album. An album was due, she did not want to write or had time to write songs (W.E). Her involvment in that album and the whole result make it impossible for me to consider that album serisously. It's nothing more than a throaway project like Hard Candy gyms. 

47 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I'm so glad she did not write that shit song. I find solace in this whenever i'm reminded of the existence of this abomination.

It's really the shit sound of the early 10's and that awful american EDM sound. 

Seeing how MDNA is only demos written by others it really is the last nail in the coffin of that album. An album was due, she did not want to write or had time to write songs (W.E). Her involvment in that album and the whole result make it impossible for me to consider that album serisously. It's nothing more than a throaway project like Hard Candy gyms. 

Beyonce Goodbye GIF