Alek Keshishian Says Madonna Asked for a Sequel

Askeroff

‘Truth or Dare’ Director Alek Keshishian Says Madonna Asked for a Sequel, but ‘We Just Didn’t See Eye to Eye’

https://variety.com/2022/film/columns/madonna-truth-or-dare-alek-keshishian-1235422298/

After the enormous success of director Alek Keshishian’s Madonna feature documentary “Truth or Dare,” it seems obvious that the two would have reunited for a sequel.

“I don’t think that’s in the cards,” Keshishian told me Wednesday night at the AFI Fest world premiere of his new doc, “Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me.” “She asked me to do ‘Truth or Dare 2’ 15 years ago but we just didn’t see eye to eye about what it should be.”

The first film, released in 1991, chronicled Madonna and her dancers during her 1990 Blond Ambition world tour.

“It was just difficult,” Keshishian said of coming up with a second film. “She had real kids. I was like, ‘What’s interesting is your relationship with your kids, but if I shoot that, it’s exploitative and if I don’t, what’s the film?’”

However, Keshishian did hint that there was plenty of “Truth or Dare” material that ended up on the cutting room floor. “If anybody could find the film footage, maybe” there could be another version of the first movie, he said.

“Truth or Dare” was distributed by Miramax. It screened out of competition at the 44th Cannes Film Festival and went on to earn $14 million internationally against a production budget of just $4.5 million. It was the highest-grossing documentary for 11 years before being topped by Michael Moore’s “Bowling for Columbine” in 2002.

Three of Madonna’s dancers reached an out-of-court settlement after they sued Madonna, her production company, Miramax and Propaganda films because they said they suffered emotional distress after intimate facts about their personal lives were unfairly depicted in the movie.

15 years ago was roughly around the Sticky & Sweet Tour. Back at that time the production team with cameras came to some of the fans in Buenos Aires's houses to shoot us talking to camera and showing our collections, it was supposed to be for a documentary she wanted Nathan Rissman to direct on the tour. Perhaps she considered Keshishian for this?

35 minutes ago, MadameX said:

I have mixed feelings about IGTTYAS. Because I didn't really like it when it came out. To be honest, it was because Madonna in kabbalah's days, who acted as if she had realized the whole truth of the universe, was too boring for me. So I only watched the documentary once and never watched it again. But looking at Madonna, who is now seems like completely broken and mentally unstable, makes me even miss those Madonna in kabbalah's days. At least Madonna looked mentally stable at that time.

Mentally unstable people don’t have a “look.”  You’re mad that she’s getting old in a way you don’t approve of. That’s not mental illness. It’s your internal issues. 

6 hours ago, adirondak said:

Mentally unstable people don’t have a “look.”  You’re mad that she’s getting old in a way you don’t approve of. That’s not mental illness. It’s your internal issues. 

I agree that it's not mental illness.

But I'm very confused right now.

Did I even say that she has mental illness?

I have mixed feelings about IGTTYAS. Because I didn't really like it when it came out. To be honest, it was because Madonna in kabbalah's days, who acted as if she had realized the whole truth of the universe, was too boring for me. So I only watched the documentary once and never watched it again. But looking at Madonna, who is now seems like completely broken and mentally unstable, makes me even miss those Madonna in kabbalah's days. At least Madonna looked mentally stable at that time.

Answer is No. You're the only one use the hateful word "mental illness" here.

I'm just surprised how my simple concern words that she seems mentally unstable can be turned into such hateful words a "mental illness" through your sneaky mouth.

And who delete my post? And why?

While the terms "mental instability" or "mentally unstable" may still be used, neither is an official diagnosis and each is highly stigmatizing and offensive. More appropriate terms include "mental health condition" and "mental health disorder."

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-does-the-term-mentally-unstable-mean-5224975

Mood swings are common but the only difference between an average person’s mood swing and a mentally unstable person is that the person with an underlying mental health issue will have no obvious reason for these constant mood swings.

https://www.australiacounselling.com.au/mentally-unstable/

Mentally Unstable

(1) Either used for someone who's mentally unstable, or as (2) a word thrown around to be used for insulting, name calling, so on, so forth.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mentally unstable

I love both Truth or Dare (despite some questionable scenes) and IGTTYAS, but really, I think Madonna's days of great concert documentaries are over. Why? Because she simply doesn't have entertaining concerts anymore. Every musical artist runs out of steam sooner or later, and it's got nothing to do with age or gender. 

With that said, I'd love to see some of the shit that ended up on the cutting room floor. As another poster mentioned, the Truth or Dare dancers back then were more iconic; the dancers, Madonna, the whole damn thing. 

2 minutes ago, Annulus Potentes said:

While the terms "mental instability" or "mentally unstable" may still be used, neither is an official diagnosis and each is highly stigmatizing and offensive. More appropriate terms include "mental health condition" and "mental health disorder."

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-does-the-term-mentally-unstable-mean-5224975

Mentally Unstable

(1) Either used for someone who's mentally unstable, or as (2) a word thrown around to be used for insulting, name calling, so on, so forth.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mentally unstable

More appropriate terms include "mental health condition" and "mental health disorder."

Huh? 

Are you suggesting that we should use the word she has mental health condition or she has mental health disorder?

Seriously? 

And according to your own research it is simply used for someone who'ts mentally unstable. So. what't the point?

15 minutes ago, MadameX said:

I'm very confused right now.

Did I even say that she has mental illness? Answer is No.

I'm just surprised how my simple concern words that she seems mentally unstable can be turned into hateful words a "mental illness" through your mouth.

Actually, the term "mental illness" is not offensive or hateful. You're showing your own discriminatory point of view by coining it as being "hateful" when really it's just a disease like any other disease: AIDS, Cancer, Diabetes, etc.

1 minute ago, MadameX said:

More appropriate terms include "mental health condition" and "mental health disorder."

Huh? 

Are you suggesting that we should use the word she has mental health condition or she has mental health disorder?

Seriously? 

And according to your own research it is simply used for someone who'ts mentally unstable. So. what't the point?

Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

7 minutes ago, Musica said:

Actually, the term "mental illness" is not offensive or hateful. You're showing your own discriminatory point of view by coining it as being "hateful" when really it's just a disease like any other disease: AIDS, Cancer, Diabetes, etc.

"Mentally unstable people don't have a "look"....

"Mentally unstable people don't have a "look"....

I agree with you. That sentence shows a very unpleasant, repulsive and very discriminatory view towards mentally unstable people.

A second one wouldn't work and it did not with IAGTTYAS because Truth or Dare was not just about Madonna, it was the dynamic between her and the dancers that made it work. Keshishian is right, the same dynamic could be witnessed with Rocco and Lourdes in IAGTTYAS and these are the only memorable parts of that dud but is it worth exploiting the kids for that ? They are already very much so on Insta. 

I wonder if they still are very close like they used to, it was him & Ingrid in the 90's. They reunited for W.E. but it looks like they don't hang out much, Klein is her new handbag now. 

Madonna was too boring, too uptight for a documentary in the 2000s. She wore the same freakin tracksuit day after day, did yoga, went to Kabbalah classes, and sat around bored while Guy played the banjo. :Madonna002: 

No one wanted to release that documentary which is why it ended up the way that it did. I’m sure she was expecting another huge theatrical extravaganza. 
:Madonna021:

16 hours ago, drivebitch said:

Madonna was too boring, too uptight for a documentary in the 2000s. She wore the same freakin tracksuit day after day, did yoga, went to Kabbalah classes, and sat around bored while Guy played the banjo. :Madonna002: 

No one wanted to release that documentary which is why it ended up the way that it did. I’m sure she was expecting another huge theatrical extravaganza. 
:Madonna021:

You are harsh but I suppose its true. It was great seeing all the behind the scenes stuff putting the show together etc but there was no real story outside of that. Just a BTS thing for us hardcore fans.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:29 AM, Askeroff said:

‘Truth or Dare’ Director Alek Keshishian Says Madonna Asked for a Sequel, but ‘We Just Didn’t See Eye to Eye’

https://variety.com/2022/film/columns/madonna-truth-or-dare-alek-keshishian-1235422298/

After the enormous success of director Alek Keshishian’s Madonna feature documentary “Truth or Dare,” it seems obvious that the two would have reunited for a sequel.

“I don’t think that’s in the cards,” Keshishian told me Wednesday night at the AFI Fest world premiere of his new doc, “Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me.” “She asked me to do ‘Truth or Dare 2’ 15 years ago but we just didn’t see eye to eye about what it should be.”

The first film, released in 1991, chronicled Madonna and her dancers during her 1990 Blond Ambition world tour.

“It was just difficult,” Keshishian said of coming up with a second film. “She had real kids. I was like, ‘What’s interesting is your relationship with your kids, but if I shoot that, it’s exploitative and if I don’t, what’s the film?’”

However, Keshishian did hint that there was plenty of “Truth or Dare” material that ended up on the cutting room floor. “If anybody could find the film footage, maybe” there could be another version of the first movie, he said.

“Truth or Dare” was distributed by Miramax. It screened out of competition at the 44th Cannes Film Festival and went on to earn $14 million internationally against a production budget of just $4.5 million. It was the highest-grossing documentary for 11 years before being topped by Michael Moore’s “Bowling for Columbine” in 2002.

Three of Madonna’s dancers reached an out-of-court settlement after they sued Madonna, her production company, Miramax and Propaganda films because they said they suffered emotional distress after intimate facts about their personal lives were unfairly depicted in the movie.

There was this rumour where Alek was selling footage of ToD under the table - 200 hrs or so of more truths more dares more more more! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 1:00 AM, Ryder said:

There was this rumour where Alek was selling footage of ToD under the table - 200 hrs or so of more truths more dares more more more! 

When was that rumour? I feel like if it were true we’d have seen some of it by now. Or at least know about it being in collectors hands.