Flower Illustration on Back Cover of Cherish

momosfantasy

2 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

Thank you!!  I wonder if there was a significance behind it?

I think that the flower was chosen deliberately because of its symbolism - probably not by Madonna, but by the designer, referring to the lyrics of the song. The primrose is often given as a message of love: give me the key to your heart - but it also symbolizes hope and optimism.

20 hours ago, Levon said:

I think that the flower was chosen deliberately because of its symbolism - probably not by Madonna, but by the designer, referring to the lyrics of the song. The primrose is often given as a message of love: give me the key to your heart - but it also symbolizes hope and optimism.

Thanks!  I'll bet that's exactly what it was.  I've read a little bit about flower symbolism, but not enough to know more than that it was once a really established thing, especially in the Victorian era.  The few things that I've read about it are pretty interesting though.

3 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

Thanks!  I'll bet that's exactly what it was.  I've read a little bit about flower symbolism, but not enough to know more than that it was once a really established thing, especially in the Victorian era.  The few things that I've read about it are pretty interesting though.

I find that very interesting too. Back then, flowers and fashion more or less served as early social networks: you could use them to "send messages" discreetly that said about as much as an Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook post does today.

1 hour ago, subversive said:

Really?? Send flowers was a message??? They were like a gif, an ancient meme or sometjing like that hahaha

Each flower/color has a symbolic meaning. If you gave someone a certain flower, you could convey sadness, love, hatred, admiration - any feeling without talking to him or her. In the same way, if you wore certain colors, you could convey your feelings or intentions.

The flower on the Cherish back cover is obviously not just a decorative element, but symbolizes the feelings expressed by the lyrics of the song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_symbolism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_symbolism

By the way: It's understandable that Madonna doesn't want to be seen with hydrangeas. Among people who know their symbolism, this gift is considered an inconspicuous insult: They symbolize frigidity and heartlessness.