Madonna partners with YSL SAINT LAURENT for 'SEX BY MADONNA'

Brendanlovesu1

Never thought I would see the day that we got a reissue of the Sex book…BUT it’s very limited and ridiculously expensive.
I’m not sure what jobs she thinks we have and how on earth the fans/collectors can afford these kind of things. 
I am an artist in the middle of a recession for fucks sake! 

[quote]Now, 30 years later, the book is being reissued by Saint Laurent Rive Droite with a new edition published by Callaway.[/quote]

I don't understand it: there is a reissue by SLRD and a new edition by Callaway ? Or are the same thing ?

Maybe the 800 copies are for charity

[quote]proceeds benefiting the artist’s Raising Malawi charity via an auction in the upcoming months.[/quote]

Or only the Madonna signed are for charity ???

2 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

I am surprised she's doing it in some ways as it almost de-railed her career and when she launched the children's books she was very cagey when asked questions about her last novel! 

Those Ritchie years were her being someone she was not.  She tried hard to class it up and be what society expected of her, but that just isn't who she is.  Anyway, this is more of an artsy exhibition rather her shoving a new re-issue in the public's face.  These days it wouldn't have the same impact since it's already out there and everyone knows what she did.

Edited by tscott (see edit history)

6 hours ago, OceanBlue said:

[quote]Now, 30 years later, the book is being reissued by Saint Laurent Rive Droite with a new edition published by Callaway.[/quote]

I don't understand it: there is a reissue by SLRD and a new edition by Callaway ? Or are the same thing ?

Maybe the 800 copies are for charity

[quote]proceeds benefiting the artist’s Raising Malawi charity via an auction in the upcoming months.[/quote]

Or only the Madonna signed are for charity ???

Now, 30 years later, the book is being reissued by Saint Laurent Rive Droite with a new edition published by Callaway.

Basically it's YSL reissuing the book in collaboration with M for charity and the actual printing / publishing will be Callaway again.

18 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

I don’t think this was designed for fans. Fans can easily obtain original copies on eBay and Discogs at affordable prices. 
This is more a marketing move and the books are meant for rich people who don’t sit on eBay to score a deal and the scope is to make money for her charity.

I know, it's hard to explain I guess.  It's just...isn't it enough to be rich and in the 1%?  Do you have to get the cool, limited collectibles too?  Its mostly jealousy I suppose, but fuck...

Ok, so I've been thinking about why this really bothers me so much. 

I've been pretty much a lifelong fan.  The first cassette I ever owned was Like a Virgin (I was 7).  I got every album from them on, and then at 12 or 13, when Breathless came out, I started collecting.  From This Used to be My Playground until now, I've gotten every album on its release day, usually in multiple formats.  Same with every single.  Every magazine cover I've seen her on, every book I could find about her, etc.  When I went anywhere out of town, the first thing I would do would be to call around to every record shop to see what they had.  I go to record shows and Madonna conventions.  Because like so many of us, this is an artist that truly matters to me and has played a huge role in my life.

So now, to see her doing these super limited, super expensive collectible releases that the majority of her fanbase will never even see, much less have an opportunity to own, bothers me.  Especially when you just know that the majority of the 800 copies of this are going to go to people who will maybe flip thru it once or twice, only to never touch it again.  And yes, it's petty jealousy, but it still sucks to know that this is something that's always going to be an impossibility for me.

And I'm sure that part of this is still me being butthurt because I missed out on the FEL vinyl box.  My husband has had a lot of medical issues over the past few years, and by the time I was able to put enough aside to order it, it was sold out everywhere, and now it's going for $500 on eBay.  So I guess it just boils down to not being a fan of anything that's super limited or unattainable for a large part of the fanbase.

I wonder if they went as far as producing the metal cover too. It must be very expensive today to produce that. I wonder if they also remade the mylag bag (meaning no one will cut it open to show what's inside of it at that price). 

I'm not surprised by the 1500/3000$ price tag, it's at an art exhibit not being sent to shops around the world so this re-issue (reprint ?) is like a piece of art. It's how much a catalog from these exhibitions costs....and it's also what a regular concert tickets costs today as well ^^ (thanks Live Nation / Ticketmaster)

I doubt the book will have new pics since it would mean asking Fabien Baron to work on them too. But maybe the exhibit will have the rare ones we've seen and som unseen ones. Hopefully Noami, Baron, Meisel, Rosselini and others will attend (INGRID WILL BE DEFINITELY THERE. She's already there as we speak)...and no, not Vanilla Ice. 

I hope Madonna will make an interview about it. 

8 hours ago, tscott said:

Those Ritchie years were her being someone she was not.  She tried hard to class it up and be what society expected of her, but that just isn't who she is.

I hate it when a fan says this. She was being who she really was at the time. She was in love, enlightened and super artistic.

"What society expected of her"? You mustn't have been paying attention because she was a bad-ass throughout that time.

If you didn't like the aesthetics and sounds crafted during those years, fair enough, but don't act like you're a mind-reader.

44 minutes ago, momosfantasy said:

Ok, so I've been thinking about why this really bothers me so much. 

I've been pretty much a lifelong fan.  The first cassette I ever owned was Like a Virgin (I was 7).  I got every album from them on, and then at 12 or 13, when Breathless came out, I started collecting.  From This Used to be My Playground until now, I've gotten every album on its release day, usually in multiple formats.  Same with every single.  Every magazine cover I've seen her on, every book I could find about her, etc.  When I went anywhere out of town, the first thing I would do would be to call around to every record shop to see what they had.  I go to record shows and Madonna conventions.  Because like so many of us, this is an artist that truly matters to me and has played a huge role in my life.

So now, to see her doing these super limited, super expensive collectible releases that the majority of her fanbase will never even see, much less have an opportunity to own, bothers me.  Especially when you just know that the majority of the 800 copies of this are going to go to people who will maybe flip thru it once or twice, only to never touch it again.  And yes, it's petty jealousy, but it still sucks to know that this is something that's always going to be an impossibility for me.

And I'm sure that part of this is still me being butthurt because I missed out on the FEL vinyl box.  My husband has had a lot of medical issues over the past few years, and by the time I was able to put enough aside to order it, it was sold out everywhere, and now it's going for $500 on eBay.  So I guess it just boils down to not being a fan of anything that's super limited or unattainable for a large part of the fanbase.

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband's medical issues and I hope that he's on the road to recovery.

The book won't offer anything new aside from a likely different format/cover/edit, so I struggle to see why it's so upsetting.

I do think the obsession to collect and attain memorabilia can get pretty unhealthy, generally speaking.

2 hours ago, Vasili said:

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband's medical issues and I hope that he's on the road to recovery.

The book won't offer anything new aside from a likely different format/cover/edit, so I struggle to see why it's so upsetting.

I do think the obsession to collect and attain memorabilia can get pretty unhealthy, generally speaking.

Yeah, I agree, and I do tend to be a bit OCD about it sometimes.  I think this one stings a bit because Erotica is my era, you know?  I was 15 and discovering who I was, and with the book and the album it was just such an exciting time to be young and a fan.  I guess in a way, it's like it would be exciting to relive that feeling a bit, but getting shut out of the party, if that makes sense?  IDK, I've got a lot going on in other areas right now too, so I'm probably being silly and overemotional about unimportant stuff.

3 hours ago, Vasili said:

I hate it when a fan says this. She was being who she really was at the time. She was in love, enlightened and super artistic.

"What society expected of her"? You mustn't have been paying attention because she was a bad-ass throughout that time.

If you didn't like the aesthetics and sounds crafted during those years, fair enough, but don't act like you're a mind-reader.

I think tscott didn’t word that correctly, but I certainly don’t think she was 100% “being who she really was,” especially when she confessed otherwise in her own music.

20 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

Agreed - I feel like the new books are being sold as 'art' rather than a commercial release too, hence the high prices that price out 90% of her fan base and auctions to benefit chartity rather than release on her website. I think the target audience is art collectors.

Yeah, that’s nice but she should be targeting fans at this point. It’s gotten to be ridiculous.