Madonna partners with YSL SAINT LAURENT for 'SEX BY MADONNA'

Brendanlovesu1

6 hours ago, Vasili said:

I hate it when a fan says this. She was being who she really was at the time. She was in love, enlightened and super artistic.

"What society expected of her"? You mustn't have been paying attention because she was a bad-ass throughout that time.

If you didn't like the aesthetics and sounds crafted during those years, fair enough, but don't act like you're a mind-reader.

"A mind reader"?  LOL!  I simply am offering my perspective.  I don't claim to know Madonna personally anymore than you do.  I just know Madonna seemed to be far more reserved and followed more what society expected of her during her marriage with Guy than not.  Doesn't mean I didn't think she wasn't "enlightened" or "super artistic" at the time.  Those years she produced a lot of  really great music and still pushed some boundaries, but it was always met with some reservation.  Most unions tend to keep people more reserved than not. 

7 hours ago, deathproof said:

Were you bummed out when she handed out VHS copies of the Sex book making of to people involved in the book instead of fans?

No, but that's kind of a different thing.  Like you noted, those were given to the people who were a part of the book.  I may have felt differently if she had decided to make ultra limited copies of it to sell for thousands of dollars to an elite few.  

But again, I'm not even 100% sure myself why it doesn't sit right with me.  It's probably a combo of jealousy and frustration at working two jobs but still barely scraping by sometimes while someone like Kim Kardashian will end up with a copy and just throw it on the toilet tank in the bathroom of her guest house .

7 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

Yeah, I agree, and I do tend to be a bit OCD about it sometimes.  I think this one stings a bit because Erotica is my era, you know?  I was 15 and discovering who I was, and with the book and the album it was just such an exciting time to be young and a fan.  I guess in a way, it's like it would be exciting to relive that feeling a bit, but getting shut out of the party, if that makes sense?  IDK, I've got a lot going on in other areas right now too, so I'm probably being silly and overemotional about unimportant stuff.

Count yourself lucky, as I do, that you got to live the Erotica period in real-time. That's priceless.

Also, whatever limited edition they release will never compare to the original version of the book. Ever.

6 hours ago, tscott said:

I just know Madonna seemed to be far more reserved and followed more what society expected of her during her marriage with Guy than not.

Followed what society expected of her... by getting married to a man?

Most of what she did during the Ritchie years was directly opposed to anything that could be considered 'classy' (your word).

Or do you have a problem with the floral dresses and cardigans she sported to promote her children's books?

I reject the notion that she 'wasn't herself' which seeks to minimise this peak period in her career.

21 hours ago, Askeroff said:

does it mean they will rescan original negatives :eyes:

Really not surprising from Steven Meisel.

In a professional photographer studio, everything is archived, from negatives to unsold prints, so everything can be reproduced as on day one. That's what assistants and creative teams are for.

Plus, there was a book publisher also, which specializes in fine books, so every source has been archived in case of reprint.

https://www.callaway.com/fine-book-publishing

Funny (funny or not?) how most comments on this thread express totally wrong understanding of artwork production and manufacturing.

Not everything is a digital file stored on a iPhone, most artifacts produced before the 2000s are physical elements stored in a dedicated place for conservation. Especially a book, which is by definition a physical object, not a pdf.

5 hours ago, drivebitch said:

Yeah, that’s nice but she should be targeting fans at this point. It’s gotten to be ridiculous. 

So tired of this fanservice endless wailing. SHE DOESN'T OWE YOU ANYTHING.

She isn't the desperate person you all seem to think she is, she needn't target anyone's expectations except her and her family.

7 hours ago, deathproof said:

I think tscott didn’t word that correctly, but I certainly don’t think she was 100% “being who she really was,” especially when she confessed otherwise in her own music.

Do you think she is being her completely true self right now? I don't. It's pretty obvious that she's struggling with something.

If she wasn't her completely true self during the Ritchie years, at least the output was artistically strong and not a pile of crap.

1 hour ago, PlayPause said:

Really not surprising from Steven Meisel.

In a professional photographer studio, everything is archived, from negatives to unsold prints, so everything can be reproduced as on day one. That's what assistants and creative teams are for.

Plus, there was a book publisher also, which specializes in fine books, so every source has been archived in case of reprint.

https://www.callaway.com/fine-book-publishing

Funny (funny or not?) how most comments on this thread express totally wrong understanding of artwork production and manufacturing.

Not everything is a digital file stored on a iPhone, most artifacts produced before the 2000s are physical elements stored in a dedicated place for conservation. Especially a book, which is by definition a physical object, not a pdf.

Agreed, Callaway must have stored the book, meaning the matrice of the finish product with  creative inputs by Baron and O'Brien and not the negatives and everything pieces by pieces. The negatives must be the property of Madonna and Meisel (and Warner if they paid in advance for the rolls). Who contacted the FBI when negatives were stolen from the lab ? Callaway ?

I think it's a great way to celebrate the 30th anniversary. From what i understand it won't be inside the Art Basel fair main venue but outside, in a specially built "box" were the Erotica/Sex covers were shot (South Beach). 

The invitation MUST be the same Thierry Perez illustration as the original 1992 one for the Sex launch party !

Will be interesting what she and her entourage wears when she attends it herself   - I think will something more revealing than the little bo peep outfit she wore to the 1992 book launch maybe even topless would not surprise me. I read she was going to be topless in the Girlie show but changed her mind 

5 hours ago, Vasili said:

Count yourself lucky, as I do, that you got to live the Erotica period in real-time. That's priceless.

Also, whatever limited edition they release will never compare to the original version of the book. Ever.

That's true, and I really am lucky for having been there in real-time.  I used to babysit for the neighbor kids and their mom had a subscription to Vanity Fair.  I remember the 1992 Meisel photoshoot and the interview from that magazine practically word for word because I read it so many times.

12 hours ago, deathproof said:

I think tscott didn’t word that correctly, but I certainly don’t think she was 100% “being who she really was,” especially when she confessed otherwise in her own music.

Thanks man.  I guess I meant she seemed devoted to her husband at the time but a product of her environment.  I'm sure she was trying, but that somewhat conservated "missus" lifestyle seemed too stuffy for her.  It certainly has nothing to do with her wearing flowery dresses, etc.  She's always worn them.  At the time, it seemed like she was turning a new lead over.  These days, I think she is more like the old Madonna that first started to become famous and throughout the 80's. 

Edited by tscott (see edit history)

All Madonnas pre 2016 had in common a total professionalism and releasing iconic and recording breaking or if not, culture shaking products, Guy Ritchie or not. Not its all half baked cause she does not pay the atention needed and it´s all about pictures on instagram looking not very great and there´s not great new music.

10 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

Will be interesting what she and her entourage wears when she attends it herself   - I think will something more revealing than the little bo peep outfit she wore to the 1992 book launch maybe even topless would not surprise me. I read she was going to be topless in the Girlie show but changed her mind 

She won't be wearing Balenciaga after their latest controversy, that's for sure!

From Saint Laurent’s website

SAINT LAURENT RETURNS TO ART BASEL MIAMI BEACH WITH AN EXHIBITION PLANNED AND CURATED BY MADONNA AND ANTHONY VACCARELLO, TO CELEBRATE THE RE-EDITION BY RIVE DROITE OF MADONNA’S GROUNDBREAKING BOOK SEX. 

UPON ITS RELEASE IN 1992, MADONNA’S BOOK BECAME A CONTROVERSIAL SENSATION AROUND THE GLOBE, DUE TO ITS EROTIC CONTENT AND LIBERATED VIEWS OF SEXUAL SELF-EXPRESSION. ENVISIONED BY ONE OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL MUSICIANS OF ALL TIME, SEX CONTAINED IMAGERY BY STEVEN MEISEL AS WELL AS WRITTEN TEXT BY MADONNA. 

TO MARK THE BOOK’S LASTING IMPACT AND SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY, MADONNA AND ANTHONY VACCARELLO DECIDED TO REVIVE ITS CONTENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN THE CONTEXT OF AN EPHEMERAL EXHIBITION. THE PHOTOGRAPHS BY STEVEN MEISEL WILL BE ON VIEW IN A TEMPORARY BEACHFRONT BOX BUILT ESPECIALLY FOR THE OCCASION.

SAINT LAURENT’S BESPOKE RE-ISSUE OF THE BOOK IS LIMITED TO 800 COPIES PUBLISHED BY CALLAWAY, NEW YORK, AND WILL BE AVAILABLE STARTING NOV 29TH. 

FREE PUBLIC ACCESS, 18 YEARS OR OLDER
ADDRESS: BEACHFRONT AT 17TH STREET
HOURS: 10 AM – 7 PM”

On 11/24/2022 at 4:27 AM, deathproof said:

don't run so fast to defend your queen; after some years we finally got that one free from collectors. Those prices are ridiculous.

On 11/26/2022 at 2:29 PM, Pootz333 said:

Maybe she was trying on that breastplate in preparation for this event. I just know Helga and Olga are going to be out and about for the evening. I would be shocked if they weren't.

I actually doubt she will attend.

Standing next to full-body nudes of yourself, 30 years later?

She could do without the comparisons.

2 hours ago, HNS said:

ricardogomesinst

S E X behind the scenes re-edited by me for @yslMiami Art Basel Nov 29th Dec 4th 
With @madonna
@anthonyvaccarello

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClcRVkWjyfE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

:cry:

....re-edited by me....

giphy.gif