When was "Burning Up" (3'45'') released?

Holger

It's confusing!

According to Today In Madonna History, the video was added to MTV in September 1983:

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2020/09/28/today-in-madonna-history-september-28-1983-2/

Although the Burning Up/Physical Attraction single had already been out for six months by the time a video finally surfaced, it featured a new mix of the song (which differed from both the 12″ single and from the version that appeared on original vinyl pressings of the album) and was seemingly intended to promote her debut album as a whole rather than the song itself, given that Burning Up had not been actively promoted to radio by her label.

The original 12'' Extended mix was Reggie Lucas version, while Jellybean remixed two versions: the one originally included on the album and the Video version - later used on all pressings of the album and the one on "Celebration", too.

17 minutes ago, Prayer said:

The original 12'' Extended mix was Reggie Lucas version, while Jellybean remixed two versions: the one originally included on the album and the Video version - later used on all pressings of the album and the one on "Celebration", too.

I believe the 3'45 version is also a Reggie Lucas production – Jellybean only did the 4'48 mix. Its production has heavier beats.

The first version i ever heard was the Jellybean remix 4:48, it was on my first cassette tape i bought in 1985 "The First Album"

in 1986 i bought the Madonna 1984 EP VHS that was when i heard the Jellybean remix 3:40 for the first time in the videoclip.

i always prefer that mix much more than the 4:48 version.

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

It's confusing!

According to Today In Madonna History, the video was added to MTV in September 1983:

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2020/09/28/today-in-madonna-history-september-28-1983-2/

Although the Burning Up/Physical Attraction single had already been out for six months by the time a video finally surfaced, it featured a new mix of the song (which differed from both the 12″ single and from the version that appeared on original vinyl pressings of the album) and was seemingly intended to promote her debut album as a whole rather than the song itself, given that Burning Up had not been actively promoted to radio by her label.

The first album is very confusing in terms of dates and deliveries: particularly I too never understood the exact date when Burning Up video mix appeared on the album second press...

Here in the UK as an avid Madonna Fan from the eighties, i remember reading in one of the pop magazines of the time say around 1987, they did a piece on Madonna's Discography up until then and included some info on harder to find tracks. They mentioned that the 3.45 version of Burning up which they referred to as the exclusive video version. It was only available on CD pressings of the First Album. Up until that point, the 4.48 version was available on all UK Vinyl and Cassette pressings of the Album. Needless to say that's why the 4.48 version is NOT available on CD. So whenever the first CD editions of the First Album were released, that's when the 3.45 version was released on any Format other than Video. Not sure when the first pressings of the CD were available in the eighties, 86 perhaps?

On 12/6/2022 at 1:28 PM, Holger said:

I know "Burning Up" was Madonna's second single.

But the video and the album version by Jellybean (3'45'') were released at a later point.

What was the first release that included the 3'45'' version? And when was the video done?

Thank you.

I think this story has been told many times :Madonna032:

In short, it appeared during the second printing of the first album in October 1983. This new version has appeared to promote the Burning Up video on MTV that the record company had ordered to praise the first album. :Madonna005:

On 12/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, wyrweo said:

Here in the UK as an avid Madonna Fan from the eighties, i remember reading in one of the pop magazines of the time say around 1987, they did a piece on Madonna's Discography up until then and included some info on harder to find tracks. They mentioned that the 3.45 version of Burning up which they referred to as the exclusive video version. It was only available on CD pressings of the First Album. Up until that point, the 4.48 version was available on all UK Vinyl and Cassette pressings of the Album. Needless to say that's why the 4.48 version is NOT available on CD. So whenever the first CD editions of the First Album were released, that's when the 3.45 version was released on any Format other than Video. Not sure when the first pressings of the CD were available in the eighties, 86 perhaps?

The video version was only added to the US second pressing, the rest of the world kept the 4:48 version even when they changed the first album name and cover in 1985. Then the cd version, even the first album version on cd, all had the video mix. 

9 minutes ago, Holger said:

While it says 4'48'' on "The First Album" CD, it does include the 3'45''. This was my second Madonna CD ever.

It's true I just checked I took out the archives:smile:
My first Madonna album was that too but on vinyl
I vividly remember listening to the songs one by one in front of my parents' record player speakers and instantly loving the album.
And what about the color photos in front and behind without mentioning the black and white one inside? I love this whole album......an untouchable:heart: