Madonna 1st appearance on french tv (1984)

Roland Barthes

I was looking for the TV program of the day my boyfriend was born just to tease him, turns out there's a site dedicated to it where someone retranscribed tv programs of the past from tv magazines.

I searched for Madonna and bam ! New tv appearance i did not know about. We know about Hip Hop, Platine 45, Passeport pour la forme and Les Enfants du Rock, all recorded in june 1984 and broadcast around the same time and july. BUT turns out she did a tv appearance in France in january 1984 too. 

The tv show, Jack Spot, was a short lived one presented by Plastic Bertrand (the "Ca Plane Pour Moi" singer) it's around the same time she did The Tube in England (january 1984) so she was indeed in Europe at that time AND if i remember corretly, Christopher talks about it in his book as a miserable experience where they shot the performance inside an empty swimming pool. 

7st6.jpg

Look what i found on facebook two months ago; the photographer of the famous ID Magazine pink background session mentions she performed in Paris in October 1983 and i even posted a comment asking about that performance cause we never knew she went to Paris and performed there in 1983. So the show that aired on tv has been recorded in October 83 and aired early january 1984. We need to investigate and find info and maybe pics and who knows maybe the video of that tv show. Pic from facebook :Screenshot_20221207_002958.thumb.jpg.fdbb48cced2bf2f1b798855691f942b2.jpg

7 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Look what i found on facebook two months ago; the photographer of the famous ID Magazine pink background session mentions she performed in Paris in October 1983 and i even posted a comment asking about that performance cause we never knew she went to Paris and performed there in 1983. So the show that aired on tv has been recorded in October 83 and aired early january 1984. We need to investigate and find info and maybe pics and who knows maybe the video of that tv show. Pic from facebook :Screenshot_20221207_002958.thumb.jpg.fdbb48cced2bf2f1b798855691f942b2.jpg

She performed at Fashion Week in Paris in Oct 83 for Fiorucci but I don't think it was on television. I know she did club gigs too but I do think the Jan 84 appearance is her first. She went to France the same time as England and Italy in Oct 1983. 

1 hour ago, me1981 said:

She performed at Fashion Week in Paris in Oct 83 for Fiorucci but I don't think it was on television. I know she did club gigs too but I do think the Jan 84 appearance is her first. She went to France the same time as England and Italy in Oct 1983. 

Yeah i know but what i mean is that i think she shot the january appearance during the same trip in Paris October 1983. The tv show recording, the Fiorucci party etc... I don't think she came to Paris 3 times between October 1983 and june 1984.

Anyway we must find that performance, they perform in the bottom of an empty swimming pool and people are around the swimming pool watching them. Just knowing that it aired on french tv drives me crazy !! Now i have another obsession along with Warning Signs and Desperately seeking Susan the track.

This wouldn't be the first time an early 80's show exist and we had no clue about, remember that kids morning show where she talks about eating all the cookies ! We've found out about it just two years ago !

27 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

Ok so according to that post these pictures have been taken during her trip in Paris for the Fiorucci gig in 1983 and so she must have a similar look in the tv performance :Screenshot_20221207_141632.thumb.jpg.5e29a38712b27c6697dbd4f94315f6ad.jpgAnd so i think this could be a pic from tv the performance or the Fiorucci gig (from the hair and clothes):Candem-2.thumb.jpg.b13149c3fbf66ff081ab39ff8ab1a739.jpg

I think this is from UK - On October 13 1983, Madonna performed Burning Up, Everybody and Holiday at Camden Palace’s Thursday Party Night in London, England.

Some more photos from that night:

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2016/10/13/today-in-madonna-history-october-13-1983/

8 minutes ago, madonnaBG said:

I think this is from UK - On October 13 1983, Madonna performed Burning Up, Everybody and Holiday at Camden Palace’s Thursday Party Night in London, England.

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2016/10/13/today-in-madonna-history-october-13-1983/

Ok thank you so not from Paris but from the right time span (October 1983) so if there are pics from Paris she must have a similar style.

1 hour ago, madonnaBG said:

I always was confused by these 2 perfromances this was also dated as October 13 1983, but i think these photo were from january 1983

as here look is very different here, right?  https://ibb.co/fpck6Yw

7 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Yeah i know but what i mean is that i think she shot the january appearance during the same trip in Paris October 1983. The tv show recording, the Fiorucci party etc... I don't think she came to Paris 3 times between October 1983 and june 1984.

Anyway we must find that performance, they perform in the bottom of an empty swimming pool and people are around the swimming pool watching them. Just knowing that it aired on french tv drives me crazy !! Now i have another obsession along with Warning Signs and Desperately seeking Susan the track.

This wouldn't be the first time an early 80's show exist and we had no clue about, remember that kids morning show where she talks about eating all the cookies ! We've found out about it just two years ago !

Hi, according to Christopher's book (posted above & again below) they went to Paris and London in january. He is very adamant about it because after that she hired de Mann and he thought Erika, Martin & him were gone...but they were asked to go back to Europe & Morcco in june 84 for a last time. 

It seems like Christopher was not part of the 1983 gigs, only Erica, Bags & Martin.

And to be even more misleading she apparently performed TWICE for Fiourucci in Paris (once in nyc) october 1983 is the date mentionned by ID (and ID was owned by Fiorucci so it was probably a joint event) and in june of 1984 as Christopher says.

qb51.jpg

7bo6.jpg

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

Hi, according to Christopher's book (posted above & again below) they went to Paris and London in january. He is very adamant about it because after that she hired de Mann and he thought Erika, Martin & him were gone...but they were asked to go back to Europe & Morcco in june 84 for a last time. 

It seems like Christopher was not part of the 1983 gigs, only Erica, Bags & Martin.

And to be even more misleading she apparently performed TWICE for Fiourucci in Paris (once in nyc) october 1983 is the date mentionned by ID (and ID was owned by Fiorucci so it was probably a joint event) and in june of 1984 as Christopher says.

qb51.jpg

7bo6.jpg

I need to get Christopher book and read it. That part from Christopher book you have posted mentions they went two times to Paris, the well know one in june 1984 but the first one could be october 1983 ? Where do you see he mentions january 1984 ?

19 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

I am pretty certain she went to Denmark on the Jan 84 trip and did the Kees Tabak photoshoot. It might seem like a March 84 visit but I think Christopher's hair is a slightly different length. So possibly she did Paris too during Jan.

In saying that maybe you are right as Jan 11 1984 being the airdate is two weeks prior to her London trip. Unless what Chris saying is they went to London, she did some print media or photoshoots and then went to Paris then back to London and she got to Europe in early Jan 84. During the first week of the month.

There is a Sounds inteview from Jan 21, 1984. So Maybe she did get to London first week of the month, do some inteviews and photoshoots and then go to France and Denmark and then back to England

4 hours ago, me1981 said:

I am pretty certain she went to Denmark on the Jan 84 trip and did the Kees Tabak photoshoot. It might seem like a March 84 visit but I think Christopher's hair is a slightly different length. So possibly she did Paris too during Jan.

In saying that maybe you are right as Jan 11 1984 being the airdate is two weeks prior to her London trip. Unless what Chris saying is they went to London, she did some print media or photoshoots and then went to Paris then back to London and she got to Europe in early Jan 84. During the first week of the month.

There is a Sounds inteview from Jan 21, 1984. So Maybe she did get to London first week of the month, do some inteviews and photoshoots and then go to France and Denmark and then back to England

Yed anyway now we know for sure she went one or two times in Paris between October 1983 and january 1984. We must find that performance. I still can't get over the fact it aired on french tv and to this day we have no clue about it, not even a pic or a bad vhs recording. I've just checked and there are a few videos from that Jack show but not the Madonna performance. According to what i've read the show aired for a few months only and it's not a show people remember very well.

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I’m not doubting what is being said however we can’t rely on Christopher’s book as a definite source as there are blatant inaccuracies in there.

Yeah you're probably right but about that Paris trip not only Christopher remembers it clearly (he mentions details) but other people too like Oliviero Toscani the photographer and now there's also that tv guide that mentions the airing of the show with Madonna in January 1983. Everything matches.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, TonyMontana said: