Madonna's vocal talent thread

Régine Filange

She is no Celine or Whitney.... but she has something else in her voice that makes it stand out... and that makes it very hard for people to cover her songs without falling flat and sounding boring... so technically not an outstanding vocalist... emotionally her voice is amazing though... one of the best female voices ever for me.

14 hours ago, Prayer said:

This is her power: EMOTION.

We know she never was the big vocalist. She knows that as well. But she's able to portray so many emotions with her voice and in a subconscious way. As a recording artist she's a perfect actress, she gets your attention and tells you the story of the song. Plus, she has one of that unique voices that you heard on the radio and you KNEW instantly it was her. Not many artists have that.

That's her vocal talent: emotion and uniqueness.

Exactly! You have explained it very well.

I would wager that, throughout most of her career, Madonna was a better singer than she was given credit for. In the early years, her voice - while not technically refined - had this insatiable hunger to it. She was literally attacking every lyric she sung as if her life depended on it, and the rawness and vigor more than made up for the lack of precision or finesse. Come Like a prayer, she began to stretch out vocally and attempt different interpretations, and the vulnerability she allowed herself to show in songs like "Promise to try" and "Pray for Spanish eyes" was a sign of all the good things to come. "Justify my love" signaled a shift into a more spoken-word indebted style which carried over into Erotica, and this leads into the 1993-1996 period, which I personally consider Madonna at her vocal best. "Girlie show" was amazing, "Express yourself" and "In this life" standing out in particular as stellar performances, and Bedtime stories has (unpopular opinion alert) the best recorded vocals of any M studio album: peak emotional investment and her best technique prior to vocal coaching. Her voice there was warm, sensual and yearning, but you could still trace it back directly to the person who sang "Like a virgin" and "La isla bonita". Then she trained her voice for "Evita", and while the coaching transformed her vocal and expanded her range (literally and metaphorically), I always felt that it scrubbed away the hunger and rawness I mentioned earlier. Nevertheless, I thought she sounded amazing on Evita and Ray of light, and the "Drowned world" tour showed she could transfer it into a live setting as well. At some point after that - difficult to really tell when - things went downhill for me. I think it's very clear she hasn't been looking after her voice and the consequences are evident. In my opinion, Madame X was the moment when her vocal ability deteriorated to the point that it couldn't support a studio album, to say nothing of her recent live performances.