Me Against The Music on streaming with no Madonna

survivalartist

SO upon its release there were many different releases of this song with different remix version tracklistings.

Some were pretty loyal to the original while some were very different club, breakbeat, desi, french house remixes. For instance, the remix by Justice has barely any Madonna in it while the Terminalhead remix is almost all Madonna, no Britney.

As time has gone by remixes have trickled onto streaming, first the Rishi Rish on her hits, then Passengerz, Justice, and Bloodshy & Avant's remix but there is basically no Madonna on any of these remixes. The CD Maxi single had the Bloodshy & Avant Dubbie Style remix with Madonna and it was brilliant but streaming has this "Chix Remix" which ironically removes one of the most famous chicks of all time. B&A even went on to work for Madonna herself. (Sidebar its kinda cool that one of the first B&A productions is Ultra Nate's "Get It Up" totally unreleated)

It just pisses me off tbh. These two lovefest all over each other all the time but their one song together is a mess on streaming. No one is looking for a CD Maxi in 2022 except us.

It underperformed in the US (Top 40 anyway), but it was a hit in Europe: #2 in the UK, #5 in Germany, #2 in Italy, etc.

Keep in mind there was a time when Britney was not universally loved by the US radios and her label then didn't push that medium (it was all payola anyway with the big hits ahem ahem) - they didn't need too, she had MTV anyway and was a TRL queen, back when MTV still mattered.

Previously to "Me Against The Music", she had a #1 single with her debut with "...Baby One More Time", but after that she only got two Top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100.

"I'm A Slave 4 U" was #27 in the US! Even "Toxic", the MONSTER hit, was "only" #9 in the US. Similar to the "Hung Up" situation in 2005, a monster hit worldwide a #1 almost everywhere but only Top 10 in the US.

Didn’t like it at the time, but it was inescapable in Europe along with that entire Britney album campaign.

I could be wrong but I’m sure I read (or heard on that podcast) that MATM was already completed and slated as the 1st single before M was added as a feature? Pretty sure the solo version is out there, could it not be the case that remixes had already been commissioned

3 minutes ago, luluthecat said:

Didn’t like it at the time, but it was inescapable in Europe along with that entire Britney album campaign.

I could be wrong but I’m sure I read (or heard on that podcast) that MATM was already completed and slated as the 1st single before M was added as a feature? Pretty the solo version is out there, could it not be the case that remixes had already been commissioned

It's true, the song was ready to go as a solo track and Britney even debuted it live before Madonna was added to it:

Word is Britney played it for Madonna on the VMAs backstage and Madonna loved it and wanted to be part of it. That's what they both said anyway. :cute:

I love the Justice remix, it's the more "Madonna" (at the time, i mean closer to her work with Mirwais) of the bunch and i can still hear her in it. The video is even more tepid than the original version. Joseph Khan is such a Madonna loon but one he got the opportunity to work with her he came up with this French and Saunders skit (i mean F&S did not have to parody it much since it was already a parody...Madonna swinging in dead leaves ? Like the automn of her life...hello ?)