Rolling Stone 200 Best Singers of All Time doesn’t include Madonna anywhere - Is this what it’s come to?

Alibaba

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-singers-all-time-1234642307/rosalia-4-1234642320/

From USA Today: This time around, the list excludes powerhouses like Celine Dion, Pink, Justin Bieber, Jennifer Hudson, Janet Jackson, Tony Bennett, Madonna, Nat King Cole, Dionne Warwick and more.

"This new list was compiled by our staff and key contributors, and it encompasses 100 years of pop music as an ongoing global conversation," Rolling Stone writes, adding criteria was based on "originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy."

I am utterly speechless. I cannot believe the audacity of this generation in trying to erase Madonna and all of her accomplishments. It is truly disgusting. Rolling Stone may possess no more than a shadow of its former glory,  but to include some of the artists they did here based upon their stipulated criteria and to completely eliminate Madonna can only be taken as hostility in my opinion. 

• Alibaba changed the title to Rolling Stone 200 Best Singers of All Time doesn’t include Madonna anywhere - Is this what it’s come to?
16 minutes ago, Glassy24 said:

Who cares about Rolling Stone's lists at this point? :lol:

That was my first thought, but it's really an odd omission, when you look at who they chose and why they say they chose them.  It's not necessarily how well of a voice one has.  It's supposed to be about originality, influence, the depth of one's catalog and their music legacy. And while there seems to be many legit choices who fit their criteria, there are others who we know were deeply influenced by Madonna and even compared to Madonna on that list, yet she was omitted?  Madonna fits their criteria, but oddly left off.  It's not even about who is popular because there are some people on the list, many wouldn't even know who they are.  A number of the chosen are no longer making music or even alive anymore. 

Here is an example.  No disrespect to SZA, but what sort of influence, legacy and depth in her catalog allows her to meet the critera, but not Madonna?  SZA has only just begun her career.  Only to score her first top ten in the last couple of years.  I'm sure many people here have never heard of her or can name a hit song by her?  Even if someone can validate her influence and depth in her catalog, does it really compare to Madonna's? 

33 minutes ago, tscott said:

That was my first thought, but it's really an odd omission, when you look at who they chose and why they say they chose them.  It's not necessarily how well of a voice one has.  It's supposed to be about originality, influence, the depth of one's catalog and their music legacy. And while there seems to be many legit choices who fit their criteria, there are others who we know were deeply influenced by Madonna and even compared to Madonna on that list, yet she was omitted?  Madonna fits their criteria, but oddly left off.  It's not even about who is popular because there are some people on the list, many wouldn't even know who they are.  A number of the chosen are no longer making music or even alive anymore. 

Here is an example.  No disrespect to SZA, but what sort of influence, legacy and depth in her catalog allows her to meet the critera, but not Madonna?  SZA has only just begun her career.  Only to score her first top ten in the last couple of years.  I'm sure many people here have never heard of her or can name a hit song by her?  Even if someone can validate her influence and depth in her catalog, does it really compare to Madonna's? 

Yeah but in the end... it's just a list from a not-so-respected-anymore magazine. Everyone's talking about who's missing as if this author has any authority over anything.

33 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Of course! I agree with you. It may be meaningless to us, but the list is being quite actively scrutinized all over the internet, and mostly because of Celine Dion being absent from it. The list still counts whether or not we agree with it. 

It is, and it's getting what they want: clicks, mentions and discussions.

26 minutes ago, Glassy24 said:

Yeah but in the end... it's just a list from a not-so-respected-anymore magazine. Everyone's talking about who's missing as if this author has any authority over anything.

Not that I disagree with you, because I agree Rolling Stone isn't the publication it used to be.  Though, there were 27 people contributing to this article.  You can't tell me not one of those persons couldn't think of including Madonna?  Especially when they have included a number of artists who they have compared to Madonna and included artists who were clearly influenced by Madonna.  All the iconic artists from the 80s that were dominating the music market, who were bigger than life, all were included, but Madonna wasn't? Click bait or not, it's just a bit strange!

Omitting Madonna from the list is ridiculous, she fits all the criteria they used to make the list. And not including Celine Dion is just as ridiculous (although most readers still think the list is based on the vocals alone). I don't mean to bring down any of the people they included, but some of them barely meet the criteria the article mentions as a guideline.

22 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

Cobain there as a vocalist?

It's not a list of the best vocalists, it's about singers who are appreciated for a variety of reasons, so including Kurt Cobain seems more than justified.

Quite happy with that list. Includes many of my favourites.

Danzig

Iggy Pop

Marianne Faithful

Debbie Harry

Morrissey

Ofra Haza

François Hardy

Brenda Lee

Buddy Holly

Robert Smith

Michael Stipe

Bryan Ferry

PJ Harvey

Bono

Axl Rose

Jeff Buckley

Courtney Love

Rob Halford

Robert Johnson

Karen Carpenter

Patti Smith

Chet Baker

Chrissie Hynde

Ozzy 

Roger Daltrey

Lou Reed

Eddie Vedder

Leonard Cohen

Elton John

Chuck Berry

Stevie Nicks

Diana Ross

MJ

Johnny Cash

Lata Mangeshkar

Chris Cornell

Janis Joplin

Bruce Springsteen

Roy Orbison

Ronnie Spector

Bjork

Robert Plant

George Michael

Kate Bush

Tina Turner

Mick Jagger

Sade

Ella Fitzgerald

James Brown

Etta James

Aaliyah

Louis Armstrong

Van Morrison

Kurt Cobain

Dusty Springfield

Thom Yorke

Bowie

Nina Simone

Frank Sinatra

Elvis

Prince

Freddie

Lennon

McCartney

Billie Holiday

Ariana Grande at #43 above Michael Jackson

:lol:

Oh and they wrote THIS about MJ

"What we now know about his life makes his music harder to enjoy"

Okay I don't want to START that discussion but I disagree with drawing a conclusion like that. We do not know what he did. There is no proof and he was acquitted of all charges.

1 hour ago, tscott said:

Not that I disagree with you, because I agree Rolling Stone isn't the publication it used to be.  Though, there were 27 people contributing to this article.  You can't tell me not one of those persons couldn't think of including Madonna?  Especially when they have included a number of artists who they have compared to Madonna and included artists who were clearly influenced by Madonna.  All the iconic artists from the 80s that were dominating the music market, who were bigger than life, all were included, but Madonna wasn't? Click bait or not, it's just a bit strange!

They are trying to write Madonna out of history because they are bothered by her recent persona. Notice too they placed MJ quite low and gave some bs rant about the allegations. This is the revisionist approach of today. The current generation are rewriting history right in front of our eyes.

Do not forget these are the same people that put Harry Styles in the greatest albums of all time list. They are a joke.

2 hours ago, Glassy24 said:

Exactly - the clicks are advertising revenue so to leave out key artists is a way of attracting debate and discussion and encouraging people to see who did make the list etc they are no different to the Daily Mail these days 

Again, written by unpaid "trainees" or bloggers gathered on pop forums, hardly factual. Listicles are only clicbaits for online publicatons. Don't read too much in them. All the other articles on online versions of medias are run by people who are not paid and not qualified for the job. It's essentially personal blogs. There's as much facts and objectivity as in their astrology sections (usually written by the same person, i know it used to be my job and i used to work with people like that). These , what used to be big publications were sold to companies which fired journalists and hired bloggers instead, they make avertisements disguised as articles. Even when Madonna comes on top, it's still BS online articles.