The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)

Shoful

3 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

I never thought the day would have come when we'd see a Madonna greatest hits tour. A Celebration tour happening in 2023 sounds surreal. Who convinced her to do it?

I would think Warners would have a lot to do with it after her deal with them for her back catalogue releases and also Live Nation - as commercially it would be best for them than another studio album tour on a new album that probably would be a flop commercially? But still is not like she needs the money so must be up to her ultimately too.  I hope if she re-invents the hits they sound as good as they did on Re-Invention

23 minutes ago, MDNA22 said:

I would think Warners would have a lot to do with it after her deal with them for her back catalogue releases and also Live Nation - as commercially it would be best for them than another studio album tour on a new album that probably would be a flop commercially? But still is not like she needs the money so must be up to her ultimately too.  I hope if she re-invents the hits they sound as good as they did on Re-Invention

With the right production this would be amazing.

I don't get why some people are upset about the 80s hits. It was kind of obvious it would be 80s oriented even before it became news, considering most of her greatest hits are from the 80s.

Although the focus would be on the 80s, that doesn't mean it will be the 80s hits only.

It could contain:

12 hits from the 80s

8 hits from the 90s

5 hits from the 2000s

38 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Time, money and a decade of flopping.

Sorry, I love her and I love all her new stuff but playing the game for once in soooo long is going to be good for her and for us. It's about time to milk all those hits. And to bring some of the general public back on board. A celebration, indeed.

It has nothing to do with flop singles.

All Madonna's 2010s tours have been successful.

Doing a greatest hits tour is a good idea, especially for her image among general public, but that won't have any effect on her new music.

52 minutes ago, Justice said:

It has nothing to do with flop singles.

All Madonna's 2010s tours have been successful.

Doing a greatest hits tour is a good idea, especially for her image among general public, but that won't have any effect on her new music.

Not only the singles. The albums have been doing less and less on each release: "MDNA" 2 million copies sold, "Rebel Heart" 1 million, "Madame X" 500.000 copies. True that album sales are not what they used to be anymore, but still.

Also the tours: the "MDNA Tour" was a huge success (88 shows, $305,2 million) but the "Rebel Heart Tour" was half of that in box office with almost the same number of shows (82 shows, $169,9 million) and she kept repeating time after time how she wasn't making any money with the "Madame X Tour" (probably exaggerating a bit but no big money on a theatre tour anyway, box office was $51,4 million).

I love her 10s output and how she kept being creative and refused to become a legacy act. But she needs this greatest hits tour badly just like she needed the "Re-Invention Tour" in 2004 and it worked back then.

31 minutes ago, roberMDNA said:

Icon and Citybank presale on the 18th but surely there will be the Live Nation Presale User (that its not really a presale, bit its another chance for sure) on the 19? before the general on the 20?

Icon? Is that still a thing? How do you get the icon presale?

are you sure it’s Citibank presale? Does it differ by country? In Canada on Ticketmaster we always have American Express presale

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Not only the singles. The albums have been doing less and less on each release: "MDNA" 2 million copies sold, "Rebel Heart" 1 million, "Madame X" 500.000 copies. True that album sales are not what they used to be anymore, but still.

Also the tours: the "MDNA Tour" was a huge success (88 shows, 305,2 million dollars) but the "Rebel Heart Tour" was half of that in box office with almost the same number of shows (82 shows, 169,9 million dollars) and she kept repeating time after time how she wasn't making any more with the "Madame X Tour" (probably exaggerating but no big money on a theatre tour anyway, box office was 51,4 million dollars).

I love her 10s and how she kept being creative and refused to become a legacy act. But she needs this greatest hits tour badly just like she needed the "Re-Invention Tour" in 2004 and it worked back then.

Pretty much agree here.  And a "Greatest Hits" styled show will go over very well.  She will grab the general public's interest and make a lot more money this way.  She can still be very creative with the show and arrange songs in a way that seem new to her, as long as the songs sound familiar to the audience.  She's catered to her ego long enough. Time to let go and just put on a fun show, performing her best hits.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Also the tours: the "MDNA Tour" was a huge success (88 shows, $305,2 million) but the "Rebel Heart Tour" was half of that in box office with almost the same number of shows (82 shows, $169,9 million) and she kept repeating time after time how she wasn't making any money with the "Madame X Tour" (probably exaggerating a bit but no big money on a theatre tour anyway, box office was $51,4 million).

I love her 10s output and how she kept being creative and refused to become a legacy act. But she needs this greatest hits tour badly just like she needed the "Re-Invention Tour" in 2004 and it worked back then.

We can't compare Madame X tour to other others, because it was  a theater tour and it was successful. I agree that RHT could have done better, but it certainly wasn't a flop. 

MDNA album did well. Her peers didn't sold that much and many younger artists were selling the same amount. The MDNA era could have been even more successful if she promoted and invested more time. We can't expect big numbers from an artist who started a career in 1982, so RH and Madame X album sales were understandable.

She and her team didn't adapt well to streaming era during the 2010s. Plus, there were weird strategies and she sabotaged herself a lot. And her antics didn't help. It was the 2010s when she should have started with reissues, done special concerts with hits and embraced her legacy. That could have translated to success of her new works. 

A greatest hits tour at this point is welcomed and that could make her closer to people again. It could have an effect on reissues and maybe improve streaming of her hits, but don't expect it will impact the success of her next album.

I'm prepared to get ripped apart but when we talk about the general public getting back on board, I'm not sure that "the greatest hits" is as enticing now as it would have been post Superbowl, a decade ago. I will be very happy to be proven wrong. I have no doubt she will do well, I am in no way calling her a flop or hoping for anything negative. The GP is  just very fickle so I am very curious to see. And wish her the best.and everyone a great time.

A rotating setlist would be awesome. And so would the meltdowns when people go on a night she replaces "Angel" with "4 Minutes". Looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, tscott said:

And a "Greatest Hits" styled show will go over very well.  She will grab the general public's interest and make a lot more money this way.  

It would be good if the setlist is revealed in advance. I know that is impossible and should be a surprise, but people should get what is promised. 

Nobody is for Candy Shop, Back That Up or the latest weird remixes. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who won't buy tickets because they know she will make a setlist for herself, not to mention her tardiness. 

39 minutes ago, Justice said:

Nobody is for Candy Shop, Back That Up or the latest weird remixes. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who won't buy tickets because they know she will make a setlist for herself, not to mention her tardiness. 

Nobody?  I'm open for those songs or versions to be performed.  Let's  not confuse our own preferences and opinions here with what we think what is actually 'expected'.  I've learned with Madonna never "expect".  You'll only find yourself disappointed. 

I will agree if she's going to do a "Greatest Hits", then she should cover what is familiar, but that shouldn't stop her from mixing it up some, by using varied mixes for some songs.  In fact, I believe she will incorprate Sickick's Frozen mix somehow in the show whether it's in an interlude or somehow mixed in with something close to the original.  I can also see her performing the new Hung Up mix.  She is notorious for performing varied versions of her classic hits.

4 minutes ago, tscott said:

Nobody?  I'm open for those songs or versions to be performed.  Let's  not confuse our own preferences and opinions here with what we think what is actually 'expected'.  I've learned with Madonna never "expect".  You'll only find yourself disappointed. 

I will agree if she's going to do a "Greatest Hits", then she should cover what is familiar, but that shouldn't stop her from mixing it up some, by using varied mixes for some songs.  In fact, I believe she will incorprate Sickick's Frozen mix somehow in the show whether it's in an interlude or somehow mixed in with something close to the original.  I can also see her performing the new Hung Up mix.  She is notorious for performing varied versions of her classic hits.

I am talking about general public. They want hits, not obscure stuff.

Of course, I want her to reinvent her hit songs, but I wouldn't  like the latest remixes (Hung Up, Material Girl), which sound more like some artist featuring Madonna.

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)
  • RUADJAI pinned this topic
  • Enrico locked this topic
  • Jackie unlocked this topic
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • meeshell featured this topic