The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)

Shoful

9 hours ago, Honey Little said:

I think the blond ambition performance was the best for like a payer.

(EDITED)

Yeah, absoluteluy agree: in term of theatrics and arrangement the Blond Ambition was unparalleled, at the same time the Reinvention version is the best for me in terms of fun and comunion with her audience.

The Sticky and sweet one was a betrayal imo (the start and the closing part are unbelievably strong and interesting, but the rest of the song just didn't find the right match with the sampled track).

The MDNA, Rebel Heart and Madame X versions are a slow descent to the sloppiness I was talking about in my previous post (yeah, MDNA too, sorry, better than the others but still sluggish in terms of interpretation for me).

15 minutes ago, stefo said:

Also agree, I loved her pretrained voice. Madly. Her best tour in terms of vocals is the Grilie Show imo :thumbsup:

She had training for her voice prior to Blond Ambition when she was involved in Dick Tracy in '89.  Not to say, she applied that training when singing live on tour in 1990, but I'm sure the training came in handy.  :smile:

I think what the difference is that on Blond Ambition, she didn't sing along with a backing track, which in these more recent performances of the song, she was singing along with a backing track.  Though I think she sang the song without backing tracks when she chose to sing it on Rebel Heart Tour.  Or at least, you can distinctly hear and see her singing it live.

2 hours ago, stefo said:

(EDITED)

Yeah, absoluteluy agree: in term of theatrics and arrangement the Blond Ambition was unparalleled, at the same time the Reinvention version is the best for me in terms of fun and comunion with her audience.

The Sticky and sweet one was a betrayal imo (the start and the closing part are unbelievably strong and interesting, but the rest of the song just didn't find the right match with the sampled track).

The MDNA, Rebel Heart and Madame X versions are a slow descent to the sloppiness I was talking about in my previous post (yeah, MDNA too, sorry, better than the others but still sluggish in terms of interpretation for me).

I think Mdna´s one was not bad. 2003, 2004 2005 were good I agree. I think the 1990 was pretty cold, like more the dancing and the theatricality, but not the joy of the song. 

I think in Blonde Ambition her vocal technique is very bad. She sounds super hoarse and deep and throaty.

4 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

She sounded dreadful during the BAT.

Nothing tops her live vocals from 2001-2015.

We are talking about the song like a prayer live. 

I think her girlie show live vocals were the best, followed by Who’s that girl tour and a Virgin tour and blond ambition. I didn’t care for her vocals as much starting with drowned world onward. 

5 minutes ago, Honey Little said:

We are talking about the song like a prayer live. 

I think her girlie show live vocals were the best, followed by Who’s that girl tour and a Virgin tour and blond ambition. I didn’t care for her vocals as much starting with drowned world onward. 

Same, I felt her earlier tours she sung in her natural octave (lower key) - the more recent tour apart from RH - I think the reason it sounded off in some parts (other than dancing her tits off) was singing in a register that isn't necessarily her native register.

Imo Like a Prayer is too long and always brings this weird cult-like atmosphere to the concert. Not to mention we have to witness someone failing miserably trying to mimic/recreate/reinvent Niki's adlibs. I really wish she would make it more enjoyable by cutting a few verses or changing it up a bit - not like that awful S&S version tho.

19 minutes ago, Mden said:

I only saw the video, but there were no horrible vocals in Rebel Heart Tour to my recollection. 

Well, for a lot of the performances, she relies a lot on pre-recorded backing tracks.  Of course, there are moments throughout the show we do get her pure live vocals.  For instance, I believe True Blue is completely live vocals and La Vie En Rose as well.  The latter was definitely a vocal highlight of the show.  While other performances such as Rebel Heart, she's singing right over a pre-recorded track. 

For me, her last best vocals on tour was Confessions Tour, but I believe a lot of that was her singing along with backing tracks, but for the most part, it's very well mixed, unlike her follow up tours. 

I'm not bothered when she doesn't sing well, but that's because I rather hear her live than singing along with a backing track where the backing track seems to take the lead.  This is when we have horriblly screaming vocals over backing tracks on some songs (Sticky and Sweet's Borderline, anyone?).  Just sing it live the best you can. If I want to hear a recording, I'll pull out the album. 

I have noticed with her last several tours, many of her pre-recorded vocals are purposely not sung well, so it gives the illusion of live vocals, but the problem is, she still sings over them and it's usually horribly mixed. 

As for "Like A Prayer", I think the coldest and worst is Madame X.  Everything before that, you can hear much more feeling and emotion put into it.  The few times she performed it on Rebel Heart, it sounded far more genuine and full of emotion than anything I heard since Blond Ambition. I still think Blond Ambition is probably her best live vocal of it, while RIT her vocals do sound better, but that version lacks the punch and energy the song deserves. It still was a nice re-edition though. 

41 minutes ago, tscott said:

I have noticed with her last several tours, many of her pre-recorded vocals are purposely not sung well, so it gives the illusion of live vocals 

That's a good option. Girl Gone Wild :lol:  I would love if she pre-records like 15 different versions of each one so they can switch from show to show :heart:

1 hour ago, Drum Dub said:

That's a good option. Girl Gone Wild :lol:  I would love if she pre-records like 15 different versions of each one so they can switch from show to show :heart:

Or just sing it live.  I will say, that is a good example of her relying on a pre-recorded vocal.  I have no doubt she was singing along with the track, but you could only hear that horrible recorded vocal instead.  I saw this one B-Roll Pro Shot footage, where about 2:59 in the song, you can hear what sounded like her live vocals (which were actually better than the pre-recording).  She still was relying some on backing track, but at least it sounded like she was singing live at that point.  Then the last minute, you only hear the pre-recording again.

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • meeshell featured this topic