Has Ednaswap‘s Original Version of “Sanctuary” Ever Seen the Light of Day?

drivebitch

found this

Sanctuary was originally written by Anne Preven and Scott Cutler of the short-lived 90’s band, Ednaswap.

Madonna was passed a demo tape of Sanctuary by a friend of Preven and Cutler, who heard an early version of it and thought “Madonna would love this song!” Madonna’s version came out before Ednaswap had even signed a record deal, and the song deviated significantly from the demo.

Preven originally thought Madonna had ruined the song, going so far as meeting with Madonna to plead for changes. However, upon hearing the song as part of the whole album, Preven had a change of heart and “understood what [Madonna] was going for.”

The most significant change was Austin and Madonna’s interpolation of Sanctuary with an instrumental demo Austin had created which centers around a looped sample from Herbie Hancock’s Watermelon Man (the funk-based arrangement from his 1973 album, Head Hunters). Madonna also provided additional lyrical and melodic contributions.

While Austin’s instrumental demo that was worked in to Sanctuary later leaked to the internet, Ednaswap did not release their own version of the song and their original demo recording has yet to surface online.

Interestingly, Swim had a similar creative path, but the Susannah Melvoin claims she wasn't credited.

“I was on the floor [of Orbit’s studio], just putting words together, and came up with ‘Candy Perfume Girl,'” she recalls. “It was a personal track for me. At the time, I was mourning my brother [Jonathan died of a heroin overdose in 1996], and it was the allure of drug addiction. I was pretty jacked up about that record happening, and there were a couple of other songs that I had done with him there.”

But Melvoin’s publisher got a call notifying her that Orbit had offered Madonna the tracks they’d worked on: “Candy Perfume Girl” was going on the record, and Madonna wanted a third of the publishing. Melvoin maintains she also wrote the original lyrics to Ray of Light‘s “Swim,” which, she says were “changed, but not significantly,” as well as the original melodies, which she concedes were “manipulated.” Yet in this case Melvoin didn’t get credit or compensation. The songwriter emphasizes she has no beef with Madonna; she feels the superstar understood exactly what “Candy Perfume Girl” was about, and that she made a brilliant record. “But had I gotten proper publishing on Ray of Light,” Melvoin asserts, “I wouldn’t be worried about my financial life.”

15 hours ago, drivebitch said:

They wrote the song. Madonna changed it around. Has their version ever leaked? They wrote Natalie Imbruglia’s “Torn”. They had already released that one. 

http://www.madonnatribe.com/decade/2004/the-origin-of-madonnas-sanctuary/

That article. WELL.

"Evil" Natalie Imbruglia didn't steal any song from her. That woman didn't write it on her own, she did it with Phil Thornalley and Scott Cutler, another member of her band. It was Phil Thornalley, working with Natalie Imbruglia on her debut album, who offered Natalie "Torn". It was HIS song too.

Anne Preven is included as a co-writer on Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" credits SINCE DAY ONE:

image.png.b73c36fe3d86e176a64a2db07c50861a.png

So it's not true she didn't get money from it. Actually she must be MEGA-RICH in royalties thanks to "Torn". Natalie Imbruglia IS only as the performer of it and she wasn't even a co-writer, so imagine the three actual co-writers. But instead of being grateful for that she was pissed it wasn't her band's version the one that was a hit. Girl. You co-wrote one of the biggest popular songs in history. Millions of people loved it and still love it today. And it generates good money each year. Any songwriter in the world would kill for that.

Hope she feels more positive about it all now after all these years.

She was also included as a co-writer on Madonna's "Sanctuary", of course:

LTY4NDMuanBlZw.jpeg