2023 Tour - How the show should start?

Dj Garrido

On 1/18/2023 at 5:58 PM, Nounours said:

Video on monitors shows someone scrolling down a list of comments on an article about the tour announcement. "She should open the show with 'Vogue'!" "Ugh, she should obviously start with 'Take a bow', duh!" "#justiceforbadgirl" and the like, the comments go on and on with no end in sight. The person scrolling is then revealed to be Madonna, looking utterly nonplussed with drink in hand. Cut to her lying on a couch at a therapist's office (in full Madame X regalia to make it all the more absurd) during a session.

"I just feel like people are pressuring me to do something, and I never respond well to that" she tells the therapist. "Why should anyone care about the opening song of my show? It's my choice."

"Open your heart", the therapist says dryly.

"I beg your pardon?" Madonna says, exasperated, tilting her head towards him.

"I said," he rolls his eyes, "the only logical choice is 'Open your heart'".

Madonna just stares at him blankly, and the awkward silence continues for a few seconds.

Fast cut to Madonna running in the streets, suddenly seeing her song titles on billboards, traffic signs, storefronts - everywhere. Voices shouting out song titles become louder and louder as she stops and presses her hands to her ears. Just as the voices turn into an incredibly loud cacophony, she shouts "No!" and they instantly disappear. The video zooms into her determined face, looking straight at the audience, as she utters "we're doing this my way".

Screen cuts to black, the whole venue is in complete darkness.

clap clap clap clap

"Madonna"

"Life is so crazy"

"You've been through a lot"

"Tell your story sometimes, you know?"

Spotlight shows up and there she is, all one, in the middle of the stage, in an outfit meant to recall the early NY days.

"Seemed like yesterday, I was a baby on the street..."

(Literally popped into my head before sleep last night, please don't judge it too harshly.)

This is it!!!!!!!! Madonna should see this!

Edited by Miki (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Miki said:

I got this idea from Stephen (The Immaculate Podcast- which they ended, unfortunately) but I endorse it. 
What if she opens with Best Night? 
‘I’ll make this the best night of your life.’

Yes! And then hopefully go into Material Gworlll before One More Chance! Excellent first act.

On 1/24/2023 at 5:15 PM, Andymad said:

While I’d absolutely die for an opener of Vogue or Express Yourself, there’s a few others that I think would work well as an opener considering the Greatest Hits theme:

-Lucky Star

-Deeper and Deeper

-Open Your Heart

-Who’s That Girl? Not a banger but it would be super cute if her to open singing “when you see her, say a prayer and kiss your heart goodbye”. Awww. Isn’t that sweet?

or maybe she’ll just fuck us all up and blast out the original Like A Prayer. Give us all the shock of her career.

This. This is the one.

I'd love if she did a very dramatic moody version of it at the beginning before it goes into an epic version of the dance / rock version during the second chorus. Think something similar in concept to the MDNA opening -- Show starts with a dark intro that uses the Vanity Fair footage and religious figures entering the stage as choir people before the intro goes into Like a Prayer with crosses burning on the stage. Followed by Into the Groove to properly get the show going. 

The song has never gotten a proper centerpiece of the show performance. It deserves something absolutely epic. She's ended her shows with it too many times -- Make it the opener and close with Vogue. Make the people think the show is over with Holiday before coming back out to "What are you looking at?". Chills.

53 minutes ago, eXtremeOccident said:

Yes! And then hopefully go into Material Gworlll before One More Chance! Excellent first act.

Best Night is so sensual and has a dark rebellious hip hop feel. It could be set to a Garden of Eden, Original Sin type of theme. Where she gets lost with reckless abandon in her passions for an Adam.
She’ll follow it up with Justify my Love. it’s all lust and pleasure till she is faced with the wrath of God. She’s expelled from Eden. In defiance she rages on with Living for Love. 

I know I've said it a million times before but the tour celebrating the 40th anniversary of her first album, should obviously open with her first single: Everybody.

Aside from that, Everybody has THE most perfect opening line and the lyrics are also perfect to kick off her show. She could mix some of the spoken ad-libs from Celebration in there, maybe some Where's the Party excerpts too.

Anywho…Everybody is the most excellent choice and it hasn't been performed regularly on tour since 1993. The song could work very well with a slightly updated production too.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:46 AM, Robertthenurse said:

She started the show with The Beast Within. Expect the unexpected. It looked good in my head anyway...even if that's where it'll stay lol

Technically, The Beast Within was never really counted as the opening. Just how Virgin Mary can't really count as the opening of MDNA.

She opened RIT with Vogue which was preceded by a video introduction that used The Beast Within.

3 hours ago, MPowered said:

Technically, The Beast Within was never really counted as the opening. Just how Virgin Mary can't really count as the opening of MDNA.

She opened RIT with Vogue which was preceded by a video introduction that used The Beast Within.

Technically yes. I remember literally self conbusting being there.

She needs to open with a hit, preferably one she hasn't opened with on a tour in the modern era (so no Vogue) and make it a grand entrance.

If she does a tour theme of a journey through her life, she could start the first section with a NYC club vibe or a 'Madonna just made it to stardom' concept and open with either Music, Material Girl, Hung Up, or Lucky Star.

Or go back even further and have a religious / church-like opening section to reflect her child life before making it to NYC and open with either Like a Prayer or Like a Virgin

There are so many songs she could start with.  Opening with a banger would be ideal, but for her to do the celebration tour without the track Celebration, seems weird - to me anyway. I say open with Celebration. Come join the party, it's a celebration. Literally sets the stage for the evening. Or maybe she could pull a DWT and open with a ballad. Or she could open with Express Yourself with the original cone bra and have us all die immediately and then she'd have to tour for another year because of it.

• 1 month later...

I would imagine a Tick-Tock Intro, long ticking clocks overwhelming the arenas with both musical and statements elements paying tribute to 40years of career. The phrase time goes by so slowly, (from the Like A Prayer album's "Love song") 

And then ... Boom Hung Up explodes.

Then tick tocks carrying on and move to 4 Minutes, and then Impressive Instant (those two songs would merge alright), and then back in time : Papa Don't Preach/Rescue Me ? Burning Up ?

• 4 weeks later...

Holiday could be the opener, after a video intro of her conquers etc etc. 

The lyrics make total sense: if we took a holiday, take some time to celebrate, just one day of our lives, it would be so nice, we’re gonna have a celebration.

and then at the end, for the last song, after we’re out of voice of screaming and yelling the songs, tired of dancing, she makes us jump one last time while she sings “everybody come on dance and sing, everybody get up and do your thing” in a retrospective of her first single ever