Musical director and band

nito84bcn

Kevin Antunes is very hit-or-miss. But in the end it's her the one that chooses the new versions, etc.

This is a greatest hits tour so the new versions shouldn't be THAT different from the originals, right? I mean she can't do "Hung Up" rock version or people will be pissed off and rightfully so.

So it should be an easy job...

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Kevin Antunes is very hit-or-miss. But in the end it's her the one that chooses the new versions, etc.

This is a greatest hits tour so the new versions shouldn't be THAT different from the originals, right? I mean she can't do "Hung Up" rock version or people will be pissed off and rightfully so.

Yep... but a cool update for the tracks would be amazing, like Stuart did. Kevin literally puts on play on her instrumentals, or does cheap Soundcloud mash-ups. I think that part of her lost of reputation live is because of him... and yes, she's the one hiring him and having the last word. 

After hearing the beautiful live arrangements Kevin Antunes did for Justin Timberlake, I tend to believe that it's non really his fault but it's Madonna that wants this: backing tracks and songs identical to the album versions. This is also what he told us during the backstage tour at MXT: "she wants the songs to sound exactly like the album". After all, she had great musicians and vocalists for MXT but they were not playing live or at least their sound was generally drowned under the backing tracks.

5 hours ago, luluthecat said:

It's Kevin Antunes

Thought M liked to switch things up, but she seem unable to ditch Kevin, he's stuck around for 15 YEARS now!!! 

You sure about that? This is the worst possible news for me, it means that we're going to have flat, uninspired, unexplorative arrangements (does "unexplorative" exist in English? ... well hope so: no time to check now sorry :lol:). I mean, even when he tries, most of the time, it's like "... really? is that all we can get from a new idea?" (Open your heart/Sagara Jo or Like a Virgin waltz from MDNA, like True blue or Music from the RHT).

Tell me you're not sure, leave some hope

4 hours ago, Enrico said:

After hearing the beautiful live arrangements Kevin Antunes did for Justin Timberlake, I tend to believe that it's non really his fault but it's Madonna that wants this: backing tracks and songs identical to the album versions. This is also what he told us during the backstage tour at MXT: "she wants the songs to sound exactly like the album". After all, she had great musicians and vocalists for MXT but they were not playing live or at least their sound was generally drowned under the backing tracks.

Oh ok, sorry ... I did not read this when I wrote my previous post

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

I swear to god, if this tour is a slew of pitched down album versions I’m selling my tickets lol. 

2 hours ago, stefo said:

You sure about that? This is the worst possible news for me, it means that we're going to have flat, uninspired, unexplorative arrangements (does "unexplorative" exist in English? ... well hope so: no time to check now sorry :lol:). I mean, even when he tries, most of the time, it's like "... really? is that all we can get from a new idea?" (Open your heart/Sagara Jo or Like a Virgin waltz from MDNA, like True blue or Music from the RHT).

Tell me you're not sure, leave some hope

I'd say I'm 99% sure, he directed her pride show, and he's posted a lot about this tour on his instagram, also his profile reads "Musical Director @madonna" - it's happening :stare:

I don't think he's all that bad, it's always a great. It just means I don't listen back to the live albums as it's mostly just the album version with some autotune and a crowd noise. I listen to Drowned World, ReInvention and Confessions all the time, I'd say some of those productions sound superior to the album versions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...