The Queer Lives She Has Changed: Why Madonna Still Matters to LGBTQ+ People

Brendanlovesu1

3 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

God help me for writing it, but Madonna is a metaphorical load-bearing wall for more people than you know. When you tear her down, we feel it. We know she is not perfect, but she gives us strength, and if we react viscerally to your demolition efforts, it’s because we know there are cracks in the wall, but we’re so very tired of waking up to the wrecking ball every day.

Incredibly well said. I'd never thought about it like that before.

amen . Madonna bullying in the LGBTGI+ community hurts my heart.  We dont speak that badly of our enemies.  We could count on one hand the public figures supporting us back then. It was a career move.  It was career suicide to be associated with us then. I just dont get it.  You may not like her or what is is doing but sheesh show some respect.

I think its bullshit that the Oscar's don't award the performer of Best Song if they didn't write it. Yes, the writer should win but so should the performer. And I'm not just saying this as a Madonna stan. Celine Dion should have an Oscar for "My Heart Will Go On". Who else on earth could have made that song what it was but her? M should have two Best Song Oscars on her mantle (AND nominations for several others!).

With that said, she did not deserve a Best Actress Oscar for Evita. A nomination would have been awesome. But, no.

Also, the rainbow is so vast these days and always has been. There's always been gay men who worshipped M. But there has always been gay men who loathe her. Same with Gaga, Britney, Beyonce, etc. The community is not a monolith.

Do people really dismiss others for their age and like new ones just because they're young? Because IT IS NONSENSE!!! Has Madonna history been erased just because she is over 60? Not only LGBTQ but every single person. That's so ridiculous! Diana Ross is still better than Taylor Swift, that's it. 

33 minutes ago, amscity said:

Do people really dismiss others for their age and like new ones just because they're young? Because IT IS NONSENSE!!! Has Madonna history been erased just because she is over 60? Not only LGBTQ but every single person. That's so ridiculous! Diana Ross is still better than Taylor Swift, that's it. 

It’s less about her age and more to do with how she behaves at said age. It’s about what is socially acceptable in society. That’s why her being a woman is also an aspect. Madonna challenges all those conventions.

I bet she’s going to push everyone’s buttons with this in the show and people will be talking about it more than ever because it won’t just be on social media but everywhere in the media. The show is selling really well so she will come out on top of any negative opinions and really prove a point.