Madonna & Lateness.

N3onNostalgic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh not not again, not another Yelp thread with everyone complaining about how bad they were treated by the singing saleswoman and they missed the tube back home and they filed a suit because the ticket said 8pm and they had to wait it's such a disgrace call the manager.

4 minutes ago, N3onNostalgic said:

Hi everyone so I've got my ticket for the Celebration tour, since this is my 1st Madonna tour I'm wondering how bad is her lateness and how long of a wait was it after she was ment to come on stage? Not that it's gonna stop me from seeing her it's just so I know what to expect.

We won't know until the tour starts but keeping an eye out on reports from the first shows will give some indication of how it's going to go.

And no, it's not a crazy question as every tour there are inevitably a bunch of casuals around me who are actually shocked at how late it ends up being and ask for and do get refunds, so for the actual general public, she does need to get her act together.  The GP isn't "overlooking and accepting" her lateness so much as they probably just have no clue if they don't read Ticketmaster reviews and haven't been to her shows in years.  It's good to be prepared.

13 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

We won't know until the tour starts but keeping an eye out on reports from the first shows will give some indication of how it's going to go.

And no, it's not a crazy question as every tour there are inevitably a bunch of casuals around me who are actually shocked at how late it ends up being and ask for and do get refunds, so for the actual general public, she does need to get her act together.  The GP isn't "overlooking and accepting" her lateness so much as they probably just have no clue if they don't read Ticketmaster reviews and haven't been to her shows in years.  It's good to be prepared.

Except for musicals where everything is made to fit a schedule, and festivals where stage production is lighter, I have never attended a concert that started on time and I've seen more than a few. Sometimes it's 15 minutes, sometimes it's 2 hours. Be prepared indeed, but it's worth the wait.

It's a valid question. She's had a bad reputation on that for years now and people have their own lives and jobs to attend, too.

We'll see when she starts this tour, as @stfan97 said.

The lateness was not there always in the past, it became a real problem in 2015 with the "Rebel Heart Tour", and not on every show, I remember her starting 15-30 min. late in Barcelona, that's normal and not unusual on live shows. But starting an hour or two hours late... it's not good.

On the "Madame X Tour" it became wild in most places - but then again, she was badly injured during that tour. If it was all because of her health problems, even since 2015, then it shouldn't happen now but who knows.

Let's just say it would be great if she can manage to start early or at least not more than 30 minutes late this time. That would be a true "celebration". :Madonna003::Madonna009:

27 minutes ago, N3onNostalgic said:

Hi everyone so I've got my ticket for the Celebration tour, since this is my 1st Madonna tour I'm wondering how bad is her lateness and how long of a wait was it after she was ment to come on stage? Not that it's gonna stop me from seeing her it's just so I know what to expect.

For MDNA, she came on just short of 10:50 or so in Detroit. Rebel Heart in Detroit was more like 9:15, and in Louisville was more like 11:15. 11:15ish both times I saw Madame X.

It really just depends, but I'd ensure you're there by ticket time regardless.

1 minute ago, PlayPause said:

Roses are red, concerts start late, this topic has been discussed in a zillion threads already and we don't need to rehash this again.

But concerts start late is simply not true in most cases.

Most of us here go or have gone to different concerts from different artists along the years and, while a 10-15 minutes wait can be the usual thing, 1-2 hours is not what usually happens.

7 minutes ago, Prayer said:

But concerts start late is simply not true in most cases.

Most of us here go or have gone to different concerts from different artists along the years and, while a 10-15 minutes wait can be the usual thing, 1-2 hours is not what usually happens.

From my experience, Prince and Beyoncé started way later than M.

I'd rather have someone start late and give a good show, than show up on time and leave the stage after 45 minutes because they don't feel the crowd.

3 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Roses are red, concerts start late, this topic has been discussed in a zillion threads already and we don't need to rehash this again.

Can you speak for yourself? For me it is the first time that I see a post that talks about this interesting and polarizing topic. There is no need to generalize. Not all of us have 2,000, 3,000 or 5,000 posts in this forum.

It's probably best to expect you're going to have a "late" night with Madonna.  Plan for it, and don't let it ruin what will be a great Madonna experience otherwise.  I would think that the fact that she has Bob, The Drag Queen as an opening act,  giving her some wiggle room to take the stage sometime after 9 pm, depending how long his act is. She's been quite lucky with this new tour because people were swearing up and down, that after MX, she would have a hard time selling tickets.  Hopefully, she won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Because her next tour may not sell a well. :)

Personally I wouldn't mind if Madonna took longer than she should to start the show. On the contrary, I would take it as an anecdote. What I want to say is that the delay would make my expectation to see her increase more and more and in case I started to feel invaded by boredom, I would start talking to the people around me and share our experiences as Madonna fans. In the end, it's all about taking a positive attitude and not forgetting that we are not going to the concert of any artist with an expiration date in 10 years, we are actually going to the concert of the Greatest Artist of all Time and that is more than enough to justify possible delays.

Part of me thinks "if you're going to see Madonna you should know not to expect her before 10", but also she got SO MUCH shit for this, come on girl. You pleased the fans and the general public with the greatest hits tour, you cleared your Instagram, take us all the way and start on time. Don't give people any reasons to leave your show unhappy

Yeah lateness is very unprofessional and i don't care even if we're talking about the best performer of all time, being two hours late constantly is disrespectful. Sometimes in shows with big productions like hers, some technical problems appear etc, but i doubt this is the case for her, the show starts late cause of her. 

I could easily believe that she's backstage getting slowly dressed, while talking and gossipiing with people while the crowd is waiting for her.

58 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

From my experience, Prince and Beyoncé started way later than M.

I'd rather have someone start late and give a good show, than show up on time and leave the stage after 45 minutes because they don't feel the crowd.

Those are not the only 2 options for a performer... how about show up on time AND give a good show lol.

---

In my MDNA Tour show, I think she started over 2 hours late and the crowd was very audibly booing her multiple times (not me fwiw). It did ruin the experience a bit since you could see after 2 hours a lot of people had left the venue too and others were upset when she finally started. That's not enjoyable as a fan to see/hear.

However, for Rebel Heart Tour, she came at a reasonable time and it was a good atmosphere overall from the beginning, which was a relief. I hope she's able to get more consistent with her start times this time around.

1 hour ago, PlayPause said:

Oh not not again, not another Yelp thread with everyone complaining about how bad they were treated by the singing saleswoman and they missed the tube back home and they filed a suit because the ticket said 8pm and they had to wait it's such a disgrace call the manager.

🥴

This modern life is full of far too many complainers. All so entitled and frankly quite boring. It’s an event! It’s Madonna. Get with the program and get in the mood. Don’t plan to see a Madonna show and then complain that you weren’t rested for your conference call the next morning at the office. This is art, not bingo.

9 hours ago, PlayPause said:

they missed the tube back home and they filed a suit because the ticket said 8pm and they had to wait it's such a disgrace call the manager.

No, not all of the people complaining are Karens.
It must be nice to have enough money to pay insane surcharges to have a nice and comfy experience. However, mass transit is the only option for a lot of people. Even if everybody could afford a ride or a taxi, ever tried to call tens of thousands of them to one location at the same time?

I am not allowed to show up 1-2 hours late to my work so I expect Madonna to act the same. Be on time and do the whole thing. That's the bare minimum. She's not doing a favor to us, she's getting paid to deliever a concert. And the tickets are not cheap.

People forget but before 2012 Madonna was known to be a professional, she had never cut a song from a show before 2012. It is unfortunate that she's known to be a messy queen now. I hope she's aware that if she keep on doing this people and the media will tear this tour appart. Madonna has this thing that she think she's a queen, a super-hero that can do anything and doesn't know when to stop. I really hope she knows her limitations as a performer and cares for her reputation this time.

I suspect that through MDNA Tour she just wasn't feeling good by the end and the show demanded more than she could give so she started to cut the shows short and starting late. I don't think Rebel Heart Tour was that physically tiring so I really don't have excuses for how messy some shows were and of course, in my opinion, Madame X Tour should have been canceled completely after the injury became untenable instead of the Russian roulette that it became leaving us not knowing if the show would happen or not, complete or not, in what time etc...