Madonna & Lateness.

N3onNostalgic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HampusFL said:

It's Madonna, my experience say --- expect quite a long wait until she goes on... plan for it... and do not make plans that include taking a train, bus etc. 10 minutes after the concert was supposed to end...

That's all well and good if you are a stan, but the general public who don't follow her wouldn't realize that's how it goes lol

That was the biggest issue here in Australia - I think it was Brisbane, there was no public transport once she finished, people had also booked babysitters and had to go to work on the Monday morning. That's not to say it was entirely Madonna's fault - it was Live Nation - they know the locals best and could have done that here.

If she just put on the ticket, showtime 10:30pm - people who don't know that she never starts before this, can decide what they want to do. 

1 hour ago, adirondak said:

There’s late and then there’s LATE.  If she comes on within 90 mins of ticket time I can deal with that. However, if she’s 2-3 hours behind that really starts to detract from the overall experience. 

Agree - that was the issue with RH in Australia - she was often not starting till well after 11pm - the last Sydney night, she was still going at 2:20am lol

3 hours ago, HampusFL said:

It's Madonna, my experience say --- expect quite a long wait until she goes on... plan for it... and do not make plans that include taking a train, bus etc. 10 minutes after the concert was supposed to end...

I don't think it's ok to start late, i've never experienced it with Madonna ( last i saw her was Sticky and Sweet 2nd leg at Bercy after seeing all previous tours and others and she cancelled on me for Madame X) but i would have been mad if she did. And it's already difficult when you're in your own town when this happens but when you're visiting just for her and don't know the place it could be scary. On top of it all I'm pretty sure she's someone who does not like to wait and people to be late when she has an appointment with them. 

4 hours ago, Jackie said:

Yep! In my mind, she's not late and in her mind she's not late - it's her usual starting time - just needs to be communicated differently to the GP.

I don't disagree with this at all.  For us fans, it's usually expected and we plan for it.  So I can see the point that those who aren't in the know of all her antics, it can be an issue.  That said, the last three tours, I've always was surrounded by more casual fans to GP folks and most already knew she was known to come on late. 

I can't recall which tour it was, but I think it was the MDNA show that I attended where on the screens, there was a notice about public transits last runs and urged people to seek other means as the show wouldn't end until after that. 

Defending her lateness by saying "oh everyone else is too" as if that somehow makes it okay? It isn't just a Madonna problem, no, but that doesn't mean it's not still a problem of Madonna. Yes, 30-40 minutes late is to be expected with complex live shows, that's just how it is. 1.5-2 hours is not acceptable. 

18 hours ago, Jackie said:

That's all well and good if you are a stan, but the general public who don't follow her wouldn't realize that's how it goes lol

That was the biggest issue here in Australia - I think it was Brisbane, there was no public transport once she finished, people had also booked babysitters and had to go to work on the Monday morning. That's not to say it was entirely Madonna's fault - it was Live Nation - they know the locals best and could have done that here.

If she just put on the ticket, showtime 10:30pm - people who don't know that she never starts before this, can decide what they want to do. 

Yeah but in my experience she’s not consistent either. It could be 9.30, it could be 10.30, it could even be past 11. I arrived at a Madame X show at 9.45pm thinking I had plenty of time and missed the start :lol:  The next show I went to I sat for hours waiting.

I also fear if they set the time as 10.30 she’d come on at 1.30 :lol: 

I see many accuse Madonna of being unprofessional for delaying the start of the show, but I think that it is precisely because she is professional that these delays occur, since no one can deny that since the Confessions Tour, she has always been concerned with offering an impressive show in terms of technology is concerned and that it has no point of comparison with the five-cent shows offered by other artists, in which case the public's indignation at hours of delay would be totally justified.

I think that there may be extremely serious problems or setbacks that fully justify a certain delay. A failure in electronic devices or a problem with her wardrobe or with her hair and makeup could be some examples. As a fan I will always try not to get angry at these last minute inconveniences and if 4 or 5 hours of delay is the side effect of being able to see an amazing show and that I will remember until the end of my days then I will not mind at all waiting.

3 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

I see many accuse Madonna of being unprofessional for delaying the start of the show, but I think that it is precisely because she is professional that these delays occur, since no one can deny that since the Confessions Tour, she has always been concerned with offering an impressive show in terms of technology is concerned and that it has no point of comparison with the five-cent shows offered by other artists, in which case the public's indignation at hours of delay would be totally justified.

I think that there may be extremely serious problems or setbacks that fully justify a certain delay. A failure in electronic devices or a problem with her wardrobe or with her hair and makeup could be some examples. As a fan I will always try not to get angry at these last minute inconveniences and if 4 or 5 hours of delay is the side effect of being able to see an amazing show and that I will remember until the end of my days then I will not mind at all waiting.

The audience reaction after a 4 or 5 hours (!!!!) delay won't help to have a show to be remembered forever. At least not in a good way.

That's part of the issue, too. She can be late, but a show is also a constant exchange of energy between the artist and the audience. If the audience is left waiting for hours, they won't be as fresh and receiving, the artist will feel that and everything is a mess in the end.

The artist feeds from the audience. If the audience is tired of waiting, pissed off, etc., it's not the best situation for anyone, including the artist.

So being extremely late benefits literally no one.

PS: I've seen many of other pop shows as intricate as hers with the artist starting on time. Tech issues can happen yes, but I'd like to think her health was the reason for this problem in the last decade and it shouldn't be happening now with the new tour...

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

PS: I've seen many of other pop shows as intricate as hers with the artist starting on time. Tech issues can happen yes, but I'd like to think health was the reason for this problem in the last decade and it shouldn't be happening now with the new tour...

Unfortunately, health and technical issues can pop up unexpectedly.  She could easily injure herself anytime throughout the tour or rehearsals.  If I recall, her injuries during MX started when she was in rehearsals.  I think what leaves a bad taste for many fans is how she flaunted her lateness during the last several tours.  And arriving on stage 2 hours late is inexcusable.  I won't defend that, so I'm hoping that will be prevented all together.  Also, I hope she doesn't jump into this tour, trying to prove she's completely fit to do whatever.  While that may be impressive if she pulls it off, she really needs to realize she's not 20, 30 or 40 anymore.  I also think fans need to cut her some slack.  We shouldn't expect her to perform in the same physical capacity as with previous tours.   She'll be 65 and there aren't a lot of people at that age, I know who has the stamina, touring the globe for 65+ shows, especially if she does a lot of heavy choreography. 

5 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Are you serious? Lol.

She came on consistently at 8:30, almost on the dot, for most of the Confessions shows. You think the projector and blank stairs on Madame X had such extreme production issues each night that starting the show past midnight was a justifiable professional response? And you think that these said production and wardrobe issues are so regular that they wouldn't adjust the setup and soundcheck schedule accordingly to ensure proper checks were performed earlier in the day? No, if Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, the Rolling Stones, U2, etc etc etc. can come out before 11 PM with the productions they offer, then Madonna can do the same. 

All of these anecdotes from posters in this thread about "other artists starting just as late" are laughable -- Name ONE concert you've been to by a major artist that started past 10:30 PM. The absolute extreme I've experienced in the 100+ concerts I've been to was Mariah Carey starting at almost 10 PM, and the audience was *not* happy, myself included. 

Stop finding excuses for her. She's proven that she can come out on time if she wants to. She just doesn't. It's really not complicated.

We as fans know it likely won't change. We as fans also know that by and large, a lot of her audience may be seeing her for the first time and be upset by her lack of respect for them and their time. They will complain. We will tell them she's known for this. They will continue to complain. They have extremely reasonable reasons for doing so. They may be dependent on public transportation that will shut down. They may have early meetings in the morning and were planning to be home by midnight, as is normal for most concerts. They may have babysitters that can't stay until 3-4 AM. It won't change what Madonna does, and she'll continue to do what she feels like.

Let's accept it and move on.

With most shows in Europe scheduled to start at 8:30 as "printed" on the ticket, it's safe to assume that she'll be on at 10, I guess. Opening act starts at 8:30 and will have people entertained for an hour (personally, I'm glad it's not a DJ), followed by a 30-minute interval. 

4 hours ago, acolyte said:

With most shows in Europe scheduled to start at 8:30 as "printed" on the ticket, it's safe to assume that she'll be on at 10, I guess. Opening act starts at 8:30 and will have people entertained for an hour (personally, I'm glad it's not a DJ), followed by a 30-minute interval. 

I think it will be a max 30-minute difference between the official show start at 20.30 and the actual start of M's show.

I saw Madonna twice in Italy and both times the show started 15 minutes after the official time printed on the ticket (but the official start was after 21).

The opening act is usually performing before the officially announced start of the show, often as people are still getting to the venue