Madonna biopic SCRAPPED Variety reports

danbekim

Well, Well, Well, I told you so guys.

I already wrote this before.

"If new tour rumor is true then Movie is gone. or At least Madonna will hand over the job of director to someone else. I got this impression from when she asking to fan movie VS new tour question."

I can't remember exactly when but it was around Aug 2022. 

23 minutes ago, MadameX said:

"If new tour rumor is true then Movie is gone. or At least Madonna will hand over the job of director to someone else. I got this impression from when she asking to fan movie VS new tour question."

August 30th, iirc.

And yeah, these kind of projects change all the time. And a biopic movie about her life is definitely happening, with or without her on board.

49 minutes ago, vesalii said:

Thank God. She directing this would have been a disaster like WE and the awful editing of the past tours.

I like her style of directing. And everybody that was part of the project. M happens to have really 'unique' tastes, and sadly no one really cared about Wallis and King whatever lol it was beautiful on the outside but plain on the inside. Perhaps she co-directs? Is that a thing?

1 hour ago, Robertthenurse said:

I'll believe it when it comes out of M's mouth. She clearly wants a series. Seems it's "back to the drawing board." What did Mariah do? I don't know her 🤷

First released a rarities album in celebration of her 30th anniversary, then a book and now she's working on her biopic series

48 minutes ago, Robertthenurse said:

I like her style of directing. And everybody that was part of the project. M happens to have really 'unique' tastes, and sadly no one really cared about Wallis and King whatever lol it was beautiful on the outside but plain on the inside. Perhaps she co-directs? Is that a thing?

It is a thing but we all know she'd never do that. She's either the director or she doesn't do it all. And I think it's better off that she do the latter. I love her with everything I have, think she's one of the most talented people to ever exist. But I also love film, it's the field I study and work in and I can tell you just by watching all of her directorial work that her brand of genius is not suited to that medium. 

She has an eye for crafting a visual that's nice to look at, but ultimately are kind of meaningless. W/E is full of shots that are so pretty but devoid of any real purpose or depth beyond just being pretty to look at. As a screenwriter, she also seems to not be able to dig further down than the surface. It could potentially be better if someone else wrote and she directed, but even then I don't think a film under her would be that much better. 

I think to some degree she is aware of this, and the writing she did with Diablo probably showed her just how different a beast doing a big mainstream film is vs. doing something like W/E. 

10 hours ago, drivebitch said:

I was told this from somebody close to the project. Madonna at one point wanted to cast Lourdes to play her. I heard all about Julia Garner before it was announced too. Two weeks ago I was told that the film was officially shelved. My friend, who works in the industry, got to see a few pages of the script and said it was dreadful.  Bottom line, be thankful this isn’t happening. Let her write her memoir and then option it to a studio. 

Oh that 'friend' in the industry lol

I saw the Whitney movie a couple of weeks ago (not bad, not great) and I kept thinking all the time how impossible would be to do justice to Madonna on the biopic, in 2 hours. Impossible task.

So maybe it's for the best. And we're getting a tour instead, so...

She already has the script, so it can be done in the future maybe, or tuned into a TV series or a book...

5 hours ago, Robertthenurse said:

Agreed. Just a terrible story with a god awful script. The direction, acting, styling and music of WE was all wonderful.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:37 PM, MadameX said: