Madonna biopic SCRAPPED Variety reports

danbekim

One thing I don't get is how some fans say she shouldn't (co-)direct it or shouldn't have much to say in the making of the movie.

I would never watch this movie if she's not heavily involved in it. Who else could tell her story if not herself. I want accuracy, not overdramatized made up stories / scenes. 

Last biopic I watched was the one about 2Pac and it was an absolute mess. They didn't care about his mothers disapproval and a lot of scenes weren't true at all. I want the movie about her life being done right.

5 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

Well she did the interview in October and she also mentioned on the FEL questions video that she had problems with the screenplay, they basically wanted her to cut lots of stuff and she didn’t want to do it. 

Yes but i believe she would have deleted that line from the interview before it was posted online. Anyway we have no official statement it's been scrapped and i'm sure it's just delayed, no scrapped. I believe she realised a movie is not long enough for telling her story and life and that we will get a mini serie. She mentionned it during the lives that she was having a hard time telling all she wants to tell in one movie. I totally see her making a mini serie on Netflix in 2024 or 2025. The project will take another form, mark my words.

I want to see something made about her but I don't want her to write it. If she wants to write an autobiography, that's one thing, but doing a film is something else entirely. It just isn't in her skillset which is completely okay, she has so many other skills that she excels at beyond what almost anyone else is capable of. 

But really, genuinely, the artist themselves should have very limited involvement in a biopic. Nothing more than consultant. We've seen what happens when artists get overly involved in their own movie...you get a nightmare like Bohemian Rhapsody. She can of course provide her insight but there is no need for her to be writing or directing it whatsoever. 

I don't see why there would be so many dancers involved with rigorous routines at such an early stage, it's not like they were making a musical with 3 hours of dance numbers. Sure, I'd expect a lot of dance scenes and dancer characters in the movie, but I doubt they were rehearsing dance scenes at that stage of the pre-production.

16 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I don't see why there would be so many dancers involved with rigorous routines at such an early stage, it's not like they were making a musical with 3 hours of dance numbers. Sure, I'd expect a lot of dance scenes and dancer characters in the movie, but I doubt they were rehearsing dance scenes at that stage of the pre-production.

True but she was holding casting sessions and doing location scouting (complete with instagram photoshoots of her.) It all seemed a bit much for where things were at to me.

9 hours ago, deathproof said:

0B11B680-153A-4B63-A67D-61639E1BD59B.thumb.jpeg.b92cdfc7f8e04c8af9cef3e4b27ddc72.jpeg

Looks fake, he says she didn't want to portray anything bad about her in the movie but on the few exerpts we've seen when she made that video with the notes on the dashboard there were one where she mentionned doing coke with Debbie. Also he was casted to dance on the movie or train other dancers for the movie he wouldnt had been given the full script so how can he know the full storyline ??! I don't buy it at all.

Obviously when she made a poll asking what we want "Movie or tour" she was implying what do you want first. In the Vanity fair interview she clearly says she's doing both :

“I’m very excited about the challenges that come my way. I’m about to create another live show, and I’ve been working for several years on the screenplay about my life.”

So it's never been one OR the other. Of course she could have decided to scrap the movie since the interview but at least it kills the argument that she scrapped it because we chose the tour on the poll. 

That said i'm certain the movie isn't scrapped. It's just gossips since she announced she's gonnna do a world tour + the poll asking what we want (first). Then two months after the end of the tour you will see those same websites making headlines about "Madonna changed her mind and is finally making her biopic"... No surprise here.

The biopic is definitely happening down the line.

A representative for the "Material Girl" singer, 64, confirmed to ABC News that the film is no longer going forward at Universal Studios as she is focused on her new tour. However, her representatives said she'll still make a movie about her life "at some point."

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/madonna-biopic-moving-forward-rep-film-happen-point/story?id=96660636