Madonna biopic SCRAPPED Variety reports

danbekim

It would make much more sense to drop a book first. Was there ever anyone who released a biopic and then a memoir afterwards? 

Even tho she'd be heavily involved in the making of the movie, I still think it wouldn't do her justice. Most biopics are full of fictions & inacurracy. 

a book for the fans and a movie / tv series later for the masses pls

1 hour ago, animalinstinct said:

You guys know she’s only doing this tour so she can fund the movie herself.

This 100%. No way the movie us scrapped for good. She mentionned she is still doing it in her new Vanity Fair interview. If the interview was months ago old she would have make them delete that line. She for sure read the thing just before it's been posted online. When she asked us if we want a new tour or a movie it was more like what do you want first. She knew the result of the poll would be the tour, of course. She's a smart business woman, she knows a movie cost a lot of money (she mentionned it already), she knows with a greatest hits tour with expensive arena deats she will earn a lot, then she can fund the movie by herself and do it as she wants (maybe a serie who knows, she also mentionned it once). The movie will happen, one way or another. She knows a movie on her life will be in the making in the near future, remember she read about it and was furious. That's why she decided to make her movie, because to quote her "her story can be told only by herself". She also knows that after making a good greatest hits tour and maybe a good new album people will be into her, she will be back on top and the movie will be even more succesfull. The movie is just delayed, not scrapped. Anyway no one, nor her or someone from her team said the movie was scrapped, it's just gossip at this point.

57 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

This 100%. No way the movie us scrapped for good. She mentionned she is still doing it in her new Vanity Fair interview. If the interview was months ago old she would have make them delete that line. She for sure read the thing just before it's been posted online. When she asked us if we want a new tour or a movie it was more like what do you want first. She knew the result of the poll would be the tour, of course. She's a smart business woman, she knows a movie cost a lot of money (she mentionned it already), she knows with a greatest hits tour with expensive arena deats she will earn a lot, then she can fund the movie by herself and do it as she wants (maybe a serie who knows, she also mentionned it once). The movie will happen, one way or another. She knows a movie on her life will be in the making in the near future, remember she read about it and was furious. That's why she decided to make her movie, because to quote her "her story can be told only by herself". She also knows that after making a good greatest hits tour and maybe a good new album people will be into her, she will be back on top and the movie will be even more succesfull. The movie is just delayed, not scrapped. Anyway no one, nor her or someone from her team said the movie was scrapped, it's just gossip at this point.

Correct. M put this project on pause. Very smart of her.

5 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

You guys know she’s only doing this tour so she can fund the movie herself.

I doubt it. She already has enough money to fund the movie herself, if she's that passionate about it, and if she funded it herself, she would also reap most of the profit. And it's very very rare that one person funds the whole movie, it's the number one rule in the movie business, not to put in your own money in a movie.

38 minutes ago, androiduser said:

And it's very very rare that one person funds the whole movie, it's the number one rule in the movie business, not to put in your own money in a movie.

This is why people rely on investors to help fund a movie. The process is no different than M using the tour earnings to fund the project. 

A Madonna biopic with Madonna at the helm is the only way we will get a biopic of her that is favorable toward her. Anyone else does it and we're getting the good, the bad, and the ugly. Which, honestly, I'd prefer but I know will piss off many of her fans. I feel like she will find some way to do it because it's the only way she will be painted in a more positive light.

20 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

A Madonna biopic with Madonna at the helm is the only way we will get a biopic of her that is favorable toward her. Anyone else does it and we're getting the good, the bad, and the ugly. Which, honestly, I'd prefer but I know will piss off many of her fans. I feel like she will find some way to do it because it's the only way she will be painted in a more positive light.

she can still be a creative advisor who can veto certain ideas, or even one of the producers

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

she can still be a creative advisor who can veto certain ideas, or even one of the producers

Of course. My point is if she is involved in any capacity it becomes something different. For example, a real Whitney Houston biopic without the approval of Clive Davis and her family that told the whole true story, warts and all, with an actress that looked like Whitney would have been a smash. Most people don't want to see a whitewashed biopic. 

1 hour ago, Pootz333 said:

Of course. My point is if she is involved in any capacity it becomes something different. For example, a real Whitney Houston biopic without the approval of Clive Davis and her family that told the whole true story, warts and all, with an actress that looked like Whitney would have been a smash. Most people don't want to see a whitewashed biopic. 

Generally speaking, I don't buy into this because almost any Biopic has someone involved who is related or close to the person who it's about..., or it's based off a book, diaries, notes from either the person it's about or someone close to them.  Other than that, some could do research and still only come up with a lot of hearsay or rumors.

Madonna just wants to share her own personal life story from her own perspective.  It is no different than her writing her autobiography with the exception that it's being written specifically for a film. I'm pretty baffled by anyone who has been a fan of hers for at least ten years or more, who would think she would "whitewash" her own life story, to save face when she's spent the majority of her career doing outrageous things which hasn't necessarily portrayed her in a positive light. Truth or Dare didn't necessarily paint Madonna as a saint, and she had much control over that output.  Someone who has no connections to her or doesn't have her blessing, chances are the story will be full of sensationalist nonsense that never happened or hasn't been factually proven or have a beef with her. Just because someone not related or close to her provides the "warts and all", doesn't mean it's going to be anymore accurate. 

12 hours ago, Rebel Hugo said:

IMG-20230124-WA0054.jpg

Thank you~

I bet Universal studio had already decided to drop making the film and notified Madonna at that time. So Madonna voted for her fans to make excuses as if she couldn't do a movie because of the tour. 

I mean there was a reason for not officially announcing that the main actress was decided.

15 minutes ago, tscott said:

Generally speaking, I don't buy into this because almost any Biopic has someone involved who is related or close to the person who it's about..., or it's based off a book, diaries, notes from either the person it's about or someone close to them.  Other than that, some could do research and still only come up with a lot of hearsay or rumors.

Madonna just wants to share her own personal life story from her own perspective.  It is no different than her writing her autobiography with the exception that it's being written specifically for a film. I'm pretty baffled by anyone who has been a fan of hers for at least ten years or more, who would think she would "whitewash" her own life story, to save face when she's spent the majority of her career doing outrageous things which hasn't necessarily portrayed her in a positive light. Truth or Dare didn't necessarily paint Madonna as a saint, and she had much control over that output.  Someone who has no connections to her or doesn't have her blessing, chances are the story will be full of sensationalist nonsense that never happened or hasn't been factually proven or have a beef with her. Just because someone not related or close to her provides the "warts and all", doesn't mean it's going to be anymore accurate. 

I don't need anyone to buy into it. We have different opinions and that's ok.

Remember 2016 when the Blonde Ambition screenplay by Elyse Hollander was the top-ranked script on the so called Black List (a list of highly lauded but unproduced screenplays)?  At the time Madonna said: “Nobody knows what I know and what I have seen. Only I can tell my story. Anyone else who tries is a charlatan and a fool looking for instant gratification without doing the work. This is a disease in our society.” But a script that tops the Black List must have something good about it, right? I don't know whether Madonna has actually read this script. Supposedly the script paints a picture of Madonna as ruthless and cold. But didn't she have to be ruthless in order to become the queen of pop? Does she want to be in control (writing, producing, directing) to paint herself in a more flattering way? I still would love to see the Elyse Hollander script being filmed. With David Fincher as a director. He is an excellent director and he knows Madonna.

16 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Well she did the interview in October and she also mentioned on the FEL questions video that she had problems with the screenplay, they basically wanted her to cut lots of stuff and she didn’t want to do it. 

2 hours ago, Fontainebleau said:

Remember 2016 when the Blonde Ambition screenplay by Elyse Hollander was the top-ranked script on the so called Black List (a list of highly lauded but unproduced screenplays)?  At the time Madonna said: “Nobody knows what I know and what I have seen. Only I can tell my story. Anyone else who tries is a charlatan and a fool looking for instant gratification without doing the work. This is a disease in our society.” But a script that tops the Black List must have something good about it, right? I don't know whether Madonna has actually read this script. Supposedly the script paints a picture of Madonna as ruthless and cold. But didn't she have to be ruthless in order to become the queen of pop? Does she want to be in control (writing, producing, directing) to paint herself in a more flattering way? I still would love to see the Elyse Hollander script being filmed. With David Fincher as a director. He is an excellent director and he knows Madonna.

The script leaked and it was shit.