"SORRY" - NEW "REMIX" COLLAB WITH BLOND:ISH - COMING FEB. 10!!!!

Frank

34 minutes ago, Future Lover said:

It's so wild how mad this has gotten some people in here?? It's fine if you aren't into it but this can literally only help her. In an era where catalogue streaming is more popular than ever, the more attention that can be brought to her older songs--and make no mistake, this will bring attention to the original just as the Frozen and Bloody Mary remixes did--the better. 

Her streaming has been so poorly handled from the beginning. It's an absolute disaster right now. Like embarrassingly so. It's about time that there is some work done to make her catalogue more viable on streaming.

Her streaming variety is lame.lot of singles missing and instead we get what should have been done 15 years ago,the erotica singles on Spotify and streaming

1 hour ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Her streaming variety is lame.lot of singles missing and instead we get what should have been done 15 years ago,the erotica singles on Spotify and streaming

What are you two talking about?  15 years ago, streaming music wasn't a big thing yet. It was just getting off the ground.  I agree that a lot of her songs got a late start on streaming platforms, but the essentials are there.  Erotica is hardly the first of her music should have been feature 15 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

1 hour ago, tscott said:

What are you two talking about?  15 years ago, streaming music wasn't a big thing yet. It was just getting off the ground.  I agree that a lot of her songs got a late start on streaming platforms, but the essentials are there.  Erotica is hardly the first of her music should have been feature 15 years ago. 

To me that's not even the main issue with her streaming. It's just all a mess. 

They don't playlist album versions, they playlist the Celebration versions. They haven't connected most of the Celebration versions to the album versions so there's at minimum two different versions of each song available which is cutting the streams of the albums off at the knee. It's literally so simple to make them tagged as the same song. Instead if you stream a certain song on Celebration, the streams go to only to the Celebration album, not the studio album like most artists with compilations have it set up. They have buried her studio albums on her page between the maxi-singles and live albums. They have different editions of each album available instead of one master edition. 

It's a disaster. Her streaming figures could be so, so much better if they'd fix her fucking page. 

19 minutes ago, Future Lover said:

They don't playlist album versions, they playlist the Celebration versions. They haven't connected most of the Celebration versions to the album versions so there's at minimum two different versions of each song available which is cutting the streams of the albums off at the knee. It's literally so simple to make them tagged as the same song. Instead if you stream a certain song on Celebration, the streams go to only to the Celebration album, not the studio album like most artists with compilations have it set up. They have buried her studio albums on her page between the maxi-singles and live albums. They have different editions of each album available instead of one master edition. 

It's a disaster. Her streaming figures could be so, so much better if they'd fix her fucking page. 

You are embellishing this.  I'm sure @Prayer can probably make more sense of your condusion, but to me, it's just a fact that her music wasn't streaming on these popular platforms earlier than they should.  Still, she isn't unknown on these platforms.  Most of her music is available on Spotify and many other platforms. 

1 hour ago, Future Lover said:

You think Madonna is a mess - try Kylie lol - Her's is a HUGE MESS - some things in some countries and others not, no rhyme or reason - Madonna looks super organized in comparison.

I guess you need to ask what difference would it make if you did link the song to the album it was from - it's not like the album itself is going to chart again - she still gets streaming  revenue either way - 

18 minutes ago, Jackie said:

You think Madonna is a mess - try Kylie lol - Her's is a HUGE MESS - some things in some countries and others not, no rhyme or reason - Madonna looks super organized in comparison.

I guess you need to ask what difference would it make if you did link the song to the album it was from - it's not like the album itself is going to chart again - she still gets streaming  revenue either way - 

I guess Cos Kylie is spread over 3 different record labels. It’s a problem for lots of older artists.

I do think Madonna’s streaming and YouTube is quite a mess but we’ve seen a huge improvement in the past few years so at least they are working on it.

36 minutes ago, Jackie said:

1 hour ago, tscott said:

You are embellishing this.  I'm sure @Prayer can probably make more sense of your condusion, but to me, it's just a fact that her music wasn't streaming on these popular platforms earlier than they should.  Still, she isn't unknown on these platforms.  Most of her music is available on Spotify and many other platforms. 

It isn't about the album's charting no, but it is handicapping certain songs by having their streams split and it handicaps the albums themselves when that is where the emphasis has turned. 

Catalogue streaming is what's in right now. Rather than hits being priority, acts with a legacy are emphasizing their catalogues to great effect. The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and more have all seen a massive increase in their album''s engagement with tracks that are not just their hits finding success. 

It's just silly to be drawing attention to a compilation album rather than the album itself. 

For example, Material Girl on Celebration has 314,507,744 streams--it's one of her most popular songs on the platform. But the Material Girl that's on Like a Virgin--the exact same song with no remixing or edits--only has 44,857,570 streams which means that when people listen to the song, they're not being taken to the album but rather Celebration. If they combined the two versions into one tag, then a song that gets a massive amount of engagement will in turn shine a light onto it's parent album, not a slapped together singles collection. 

Warner has made it clear that they want to reemphasize her discography, not just her singles. If that is their goal, then it's dumb to be actively pulling attention away from the album and instead giving it to a compilation album. It's showing that her team is out of touch with what the trends are for legacy acts right now and they're causing her to miss out on a lot of the benefits that other acts are receiving by choosing to emphasize their actual discography. 

It doesn't help when there's different versions of many of the albums that are on there sitting right alongside maxi singles. Her page is clogged with a lot of superfluous things that don't serve much purpose (there is no need for both versions of Erotica to be on there for example). For those who're just discovering her, there is no sense to be made of where you're meant to begin, what's what, and where to find what you're looking for. 

18 hours ago, tscott said:

Sounds pretty dope to me. I know some are melting down over the pitched vocals, but like @TonyMontanastated, it's what makes the mix.  

Exactly, just like that track that has been really successful and a real hit these past months and that use the famous Akon track "Belly Dancer"  with pitched down vocals :

9 hours ago, Future Lover said:

Thanks @tscottfor bringing this to my attention!

Warner were really messy with Madonna's digital catalogue for years (also pre-streaming, during the iTunes glory years) but they started to take it more seriously when she got back with them in 2020. But the messy things we have now all come from back in the day (2005? 2006?) when they started to make her albums available on digital.

Also, Warner were VERY protective of their catalogue on digital for some reason, they even included some black borders with their logo on the covers in the beginning on some digital stores:

71TvwChRHKL._SY355_.jpg

MESSY. Apple didn't allow them to do this on iTunes.

Basically their approach to digital was to generally not repeat the same version of a song on more that one release. That means, if the Album Version of "Holiday" was used on "Celebration", then an edit of it would be use on the digital version of the "Madonna" album, etc. etc. No idea why is that but I suspect it was about being easier later for collecting/separating royalties and stuff?

Back in 2015 even "What It Feels Like For A Girl" on the "GHV2" digital album was tagged as "GHV2 Version" (and it's of course the album version).

The issue with "Celebration" are the versions used back in 2009 when the compilation was originally put together. Some of them are simply not the album versions or they did subtle changes that make them different from their parent album versions. "4 Minutes" in "Celebration" is a shorter edit so of course it can't and shouldn't be merged in numbers with the longer original "Hard Candy" album version.

This happens with "The Immaculate Collection" too: the songs are different enough to the original album versions to be counted as the same versions. And it's right in my opinion: the streams of "Like A Prayer" or "Express Yourself" on TIC shouldn't be merged with the original album versions. They're not the same, TIC are basically remixes.

There are only two songs on "Celebration" that are not merged and should be: "Material Girl" (on "Celebration" they switched the left and right stereo channels for some reason and that makes the algorithm to think it's a different song) and "Like A Prayer" (slower than the original album version, so same issue). Those both should be merged and I guess they will eventually: they did it with "Papa Don't Preach" when they released "True Blue 35th" (they fixed the Extended Version on the album on Spotify, changed it to the proper Album Version and combined the streams with the "Celebration" version).

Apart from that, I guess it makes sense that "Celebration" is her most streamed album. It just screams "greatest hits" album and it's, indeed, full of hits. For the general public on the streaming era is the compilation to go, just like "The Immaculate Collection" was for years in the 90s and 00s for the physical buyers.

Right now what Warner should do is:

- Updating the dates on all the latest old digital singles: "Bad Girl", "Deeper", "Gambler", etc... they were released as 2022 singles to take advantage of Release Radar BUT they should have their original year dates by now.

- Merge "Material Girl" and "Like A Prayer" on "Celebration" with their original parent album versions.

- Maybe release an updated digital version of "Celebration", with the excuse of the tour, with some fixes ("Music" still sounds bad there) and even more songs included.

14 hours ago, Jackie said:

True ! But also - same - impossible remixes had been available to stream for years Aus - but only recently got released in other countries - same with impossible princess the album - it’s a mess lol

1 hour ago, f78k said:

Hope that the "i don't wanna hear" part that repeats get changed a bit,and hopefully non pitched vocals in final product,but again,this sounds nice and it makes me happy that this doesn't seem to be only that word like Frozen Remix

21 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Hope that the "i don't wanna hear" part that repeats get changed a bit,and hopefully non pitched vocals in final product,but again,this sounds nice and it makes me happy that this doesn't seem to be only that word like Frozen Remix

but it is the final mix it wont change lol

by the way it sound the same to me like it was sound in blondish sets before in 2022

• Enrico unfeatured this topic