Guardian article

Semtex1

I thought this would be the article, based on the thread title

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jan/27/madonna-64-work-choices-other-women-menopause-protections

But the one you found is much more focused on M, delivering a thoughtful and nuanced analysis, that will (of course) be instantly dismissed by some of her angry male fans, who know much better than women how they should present themselves to the world in their 60s.

1 hour ago, Semtex1 said:

"I’ve come to see that whatever she’s being criticized for, that’s what she’s asking us to examine"

https://www.theguardian.com/music/commentisfree/2023/jan/29/madonna-celebration-tour-sexism-ageism-female-artists

Great article. Madonna is doing now what she was already doing in high school, almost exactly, changing her appearance to look scary to test how far she can go. She talks about it in an interview to promote the Secret Project and how when she complained to her father about how people at school were treating her he told her she brought it on herself by going very far to alienate them (not shaving etc...) and if you look at her whole career she has alternated periods of being pleasing with periods challenging. It's like she's seeking for unconditional love no matter what she does, she's testing the limits of people's acceptance of her and of the themes she exposes. Because it's her, it seems more extreme than it release is but at the same time she's opening the overtone window of what is publicly accepable. By exposing LGBT content in the public eye, for example, being quite extreme about for the time, like a gay kiss, showing gays as sexual beings in the mainstream media when there were very few and their sexual dimension was totally erased, now it's almost ok because society is slowly being used to it. 

It's nice to read there are still quite a few people who get that Madonna hasn't actually ever really changed and that she is always out to confront societ with it's own conservatism. I applaud her for it, while at the same time feel uncomfortable that sometimes I feel I don't develop as quick and as naturally anymore, though ultimately she keeps being a major inspiration when it comes to facing your own prejudices

Great article - my only issue, if she is so against ageism why is she filtering her pics to make herself look 20 - if you were truly against agism you'd not worry about filtering your pics - you'd be like, fuck you , this is me, I'm 64, with my tits out and I'm having the best time of my life - (and I'm living for it) that's the fuck you attitude that is missing here.

55 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Great article - my only issue, if she is so against ageism why is she filtering her pics to make herself look 20 - if you were truly against agism you'd not worry about filtering your pics - you'd be like, fuck you , this is me, I'm 64, with my tits out and I'm having the best time of my life - (and I'm living for it) that's the fuck you attitude that is missing here.

I think she truly does it for the reactions it gets just like that grotesque V Magazine photoshoot, they purposedly went overboard with Klein (i mean the terrible work on the sunglasses melted with the face is a conscious joke). It's like the eyebrows, she knows it looks weird and not flattering. She posts overdone pics and at the same time she posts scary close ups with no filtrers on vids on Tik Tok. Just like the pics of her ass, SHE KNOWS and in traditional Madonna fashion it's "Oh, you don't want it ? Well, then, you're gonna get it BIG TIME in your face over and over !"

7 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I think she truly does it for the reactions it gets just like that grotesque V Magazine photoshoot, they purposedly went overboard with Klein (i mean the terrible work on the sunglasses melted with the face is a conscious joke). It's like the eyebrows, she knows it looks weird and not flattering. She posts overdone pics and at the same time she posts scary close ups with no filtrers on vids on Tik Tok. Just like the pics of her ass, SHE KNOWS and in traditional Madonna fashion it's "Oh, you don't want it ? Well, then, you're gonna get it BIG TIME in your face over and over !"

This is true also!