Frozen 25th anniversary documentary from Bitch She’s Madonna!

Blue Jean

8 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I’ll be releasing episodes of the series throughout the year to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Ray of Light. The first one is up now!

If anyone wants to contribute footage for the other episodes, please DM me! I am particularly after news reports ❤️

Your videos are always so well curated and edited, love this too.

I remember exactly the day Frozen came out, I went to HMV in Picadilly to watch the video premier in big screens. After the whole softer Bedtime/Evita Madonna, the dark Veronica shook me. I can't remember how many times I played that single on repeat until the album came out the week after. Ray of Light and Bjork's Homogenic were my emotional companion for that whole year.

2 hours ago, EgoRod said:

Your videos are always so well curated and edited, love this too.

I remember exactly the day Frozen came out, I went to HMV in Picadilly to watch the video premier in big screens. After the whole softer Bedtime/Evita Madonna, the dark Veronica shook me. I can't remember how many times I played that single on repeat until the album came out the week after. Ray of Light and Bjork's Homogenic were my emotional companion for that whole year.

I love these stories.

I literally remember waiting by the radio in the kitchen waiting to hear it for the first time, my finger on the record button so I could record it on a blank cassette.

All Saints Never Ever came out the same week and I remember that came on while I was waiting and my sisters future mother in law asked if that was Madonna and said “it sounds like her.” (It really didn’t lol.)

I also remember my Dad saying after he heard it that the song was “morbid.”

I was quite literally obsessed.

3 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

All Saints Never Ever came out the same week and I remember that came on while I was waiting and my sisters future mother in law asked if that was Madonna and said “it sounds like her.” (It really didn’t lol.)

If it was "Pure Shores"..... Smirk Smile GIF by euphoria

3 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

I also remember my Dad saying after he heard it that the song was “morbid.”

I was quite literally obsessed.

That's interesting because without the video I think is quite enchanting. Oh and I bought the tape too (once when I had cassette player) because of "Shanti'

48 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

That's interesting because without the video I think is quite enchanting.

He was a straight man so very emotionally closed off. I’m not surprised he didn’t get it. He LOVED the song Ray of Light when that came out though. And Music.

He even liked her version of American Pie 😂

48 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

If it was "Pure Shores"..... Smirk Smile GIF by euphoria

That's interesting because without the video I think is quite enchanting. Oh and I bought the tape too (once when I had cassette player) because of "Shanti'

I had the Cassingle too . I can’t remember if I got it before the album came out to hear Shanti.

And of course the cd single.

When Frozen premiered i was living in London and it was morning, i was in bed after my boyfriend left, listening to Radio 1, I can't remember who was the male DJ but the girl with him was Zoe Ball and she was making fun of Madonna (that's when she thought she was too cool because she was dating Norman Cook) she was saying she was using the crystal box of the cd as a mirror. They played it for the first time. My bf had this pic of Elvis standing on his toe from Jailhouse Rock pinned on the wall before the bed so Elvis is someho linked to Frozen for me as i was staring at him while listening for the first time. When the song ended, Zoe Ball changed her tune (though she said something like thanks to William Orbit it's good) and both were quite impatient to play it again. 

This was really fun.  Really solid.  Really good.  

I remember thinking that Frozen was the perfect lead off single.  And it was an interesting bridge from the past to present Madonna and it was neat to see her explain as much again.

I went in knowing I would  have seen all this footage before — because, really — how could I not?  I am way too Madonna Mad!  (Plus I was completer;y glued to MTV once this album hit.. But my —  was  this ever  a fun trip down memory lane! Your editing is very well done.  I like the way you assembled everything.  Never a dull moment.   You truly created a piece with great flow and pacing.  I look forward to the rest of your series.  

ROL is definitely among her most important albums.  It certainly won the most awards.  And remains one of my favorites.  She did such a 180 from tender ballads such as YOU’LL SEE.  

One thing I rarely see anybody discuss is how Orbit’s Guerilla Beach Mix of I’ll Remember so wildly foreshadowed the MUCH LATER  sound of Ray of Light many albums and many years before it all came together in the best album of the 1998.  That might be fun to explore a bit.  Seriously.  That version of I’ll Remember would have been right at home on Ray of Light.  Hell, it sounds way more ROL era / theme than Candy Perfume Girl — which is a wild track that I love.  But Orbit’s pass on I’ll Remember was simply fantastic.  From the moment I heard it upon buying the import maxi-single the day it came out … THAT was the direction and sound I wanted her to go for.  Bedtime Story was a step in that direction.  But it all came full circle on Ray Of Light.  I remember being simply stunned at the time.

1 hour ago, Markdonna said:

This was really fun.  Really solid.  Really good.  

I remember thinking that Frozen was the perfect lead off single.  And it was an interesting bridge from the past to present Madonna and it was neat to see her explain as much again.

I went in knowing I would  have seen all this footage before — because, really — how could I not?  I am way too Madonna Mad!  (Plus I was completer;y glued to MTV once this album hit.. But my —  was  this ever  a fun trip down memory lane! Your editing is very well done.  I like the way you assembled everything.  Never a dull moment.   You truly created a piece with great flow and pacing.  I look forward to the rest of your series.  

ROL is definitely among her most important albums.  It certainly won the most awards.  And remains one of my favorites.  She did such a 180 from tender ballads such as YOU’LL SEE.  

One thing I rarely see anybody discuss is how Orbit’s Guerilla Beach Mix of I’ll Remember so wildly foreshadowed the MUCH LATER  sound of Ray of Light many albums and many years before it all came together in the best album of the 1998.  That might be fun to explore a bit.  Seriously.  That version of I’ll Remember would have been right at home on Ray of Light.  Hell, it sounds way more ROL era / theme than Candy Perfume Girl — which is a wild track that I love.  But Orbit’s pass on I’ll Remember was simply fantastic.  From the moment I heard it upon buying the import maxi-single the day it came out … THAT was the direction and sound I wanted her to go for.  Bedtime Story was a step in that direction.  But it all came full circle on Ray Of Light.  I remember being simply stunned at the time.

I wonder if the backlash didn’t happen would she have gone directly into a more electronic sound earlier on? Because surely Bjork’s Debut album must have been a bigger influence on her than Boyz II Men or TLC?

1 hour ago, Drownedboy said:

i love Frozen, always have. It is a masterpiece, everything about it was perfection, it was all that good that if you think about the song, it was quite simple in its conception but everthing was on target, and her vocals wow.

I was listening to the demo awhile back and I have to say that while it was lovely and compelling William’s production really took it to another level.

I have always been surprised they didn’t go with Ray of light as the lead single. Frozen seemed very left of field and uncommercial.

Also I read that the song was inspired by a movie called The Sheltering Sky which was set in the Sahara dessert. This was why the song had all these kind of Moroccan influences in it, because she asked Pat to create something with that feel to fit her lyrical ideas which were based on the film.

21 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Also I read that the song was inspired by a movie called The Sheltering Sky which was set in the Sahara dessert. This was why the song had all these kind of Moroccan influences in it, because she asked Pat to create something with that feel to fit her lyrical ideas which were based on the film.

The Sheltering Sky is a wonderful movie directed by Bernando Bertolucci,the photography is by Vittorio Storaro (who had also taken care of it in Dick Tracy),the beautiful soundtrack is by Ryuichi Sakamoto.

61exy3YtQJL._SL1200_.jpg

• Enrico unfeatured this topic