Today in Madonna History

groovyguy

OnthisDay August 06, 1987 Madonna attended The "Who's that Girl" pre-release celebration held at Times Square in New York, where Madonna arrived to promote the film. A crowd of almost 10,000 people assembled to watch Madonna. As an introduction to the day, the radio jockeys from New York's WHTZ radio station played Madonna's popular songs in the Square, atop a platform created for the event. The police closed off 43rd and 44th streets, but allowing the traffic to pass through Broadway and Seventh Avenue of Manhattan. Around 6 PM, limousines started to arrive at the Square, with celebrities and the actors of the film entering the fanfare. Madonna arrived in a low-cut, low-backed sequined evening gown and the short hair she had adopted for the film. Although she was late by about an hour, the crowd number continued increasing. Asking her fans good-naturedly to "Shut up, so I can talk", Madonna thanked everybody for coming to the opening of Who's That Girl. She talked about her experience of arriving in Times Square eight years before, and said, "I was completely awestruck. Ten years later, I see all of you who have come to see me, and I'm completely awestruck. Thank you, and I hope you like the movie." Saying this Madonna departed from the platform, and walked to the National Theatre.

Posted Image

"I Want You" mv was shot on August 5th and 6th, 1995 at Empire Stages in Long Island City, New York and directed by Earle Sebastian. Directed by Earle Sebastian, produced by Joel Hinman, edited by Bruce Ashley, the video was inspired by and pays homage to A Telephone Call, a short story written by American writer, Dorothy Parker. The video was promoted to VH1 and MTV. MTV Europe did and still does air the video, especially in the late-night show "Chill Out Zone". "I Want You" received a nomination for "MTV Amour" at the MTV Europe Music Awards 1996.

Posted Image

Today in 1992 – 22 years ago – Madonna’s This Used to Be My Playground reached the no. 1 on theBillboard Hot 100. And Billboard celebrate it with a tweet and a brief article @ http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6205635/this-week-in-billboard-chart-history-guns-n-roses-celebrate

The track was written and produced by Madonna and Shep Pettibone before the Erotica recording sessions for her movie A League of Their Own. But, besides the soundtrack, Madonna’s This Used to Be My Playground was also included in the Olympics-themed 1992 album Barcelona Gold.

Posted Image

billboard ✔ @billboard

Follow

Today in 1992, @Madonna's "This Used to Be My Playground" finished first on the #Hot100: http://blbrd.cm/dPrtbA 

6:15 PM - 7 Aug 2014

#OnthisDay August 14, 1984 "Madonna" Album is certified Platinum in USA.

The album was successful on the charts, reaching number eight on the Billboard 200, and the top ten of the charts in Australia, France, Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden and the United Kingdom. It was certified five-times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), for shipment of five million copies across the United States. Worldwide the album has sold more than 10 million copies.

Posted Image

"I Want You" mv was shot on August 5th and 6th, 1995 at Empire Stages in Long Island City, New York and directed by Earle Sebastian. Directed by Earle Sebastian, produced by Joel Hinman, edited by Bruce Ashley, the video was inspired by and pays homage to A Telephone Call, a short story written by American writer, Dorothy Parker. The video was promoted to VH1 and MTV. MTV Europe did and still does air the video, especially in the late-night show "Chill Out Zone". "I Want You" received a nomination for "MTV Amour" at the MTV Europe Music Awards 1996.

Posted Image

This is the best quality available.  :polish:

Club78Boy's VHS-rip, remastered by moi

I love this video.  :hearteyes:

"Music" was released as the lead single from the album on August 21, 2000. "Music" received positive reviews from international critics, who praised the production, catchiness and club-friendly nature of the song, also comparing it with other Madonna's older songs. "Music" peaked number one in 22 other countries, including Australia, Canada, Italy, New Zealand, Norway and the United Kingdom. The song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100. "Music" also has the longest running number-one spot at Billboard Hot Dance Club Play of the decade, with spent a longevity five weeks at number one. The song was the second most successful dance single of the decade in the United States, behind "Hung Up" (2005). The song was also the last number one hit on the Canadian RPM singles chart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rve29UrjEvM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ya know...when I first heard the lyrics, I thought they were so lame. I wasn't sure on the country look too at the time, but, she killed it in all cases. That album cover is one of my faves.

Oh Madonna, what you do us all  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:

Exactly, she made the right decision working with Mirwais, it was something totally different from the stuff the radio would play at that time and I remember the singles from the album received a lot of rotation... Actually this is something it wouldn't repeat afterwards with few exceptions like Hung Up, 4 Minutes and Give it 2 Me. Music was the first album I ever bought and created my fascination for Madonna and, of course, it encouraged my curiosity in knowing who she was and her past records. I'm not sure if she should play the song more often, didn't she already play it over and over? lol Anyway, its production did not sound old at the Super Bowl and that's a great feeling! :smile:

Today in 1987, @Madonna's "Who's That Girl" hit No. 1 on the @Billboard Hot 100 chart

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6229105/madonna-song-whos-that-girl-no-1

Flashback Friday: Madonna's 'Who's That Girl' Hit No. 1

Posted Image

'That girl' is Madonna. Duh.

"Who's that girl?" wasn't a question anyone was asking about Madonna by the time 1987 rolled around -- but it was a question on the mind of every pop lover on Aug. 22, 1987, the day that Madonna's tune "Who's That Girl," hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The soundtrack to the film of the same name, in which the song was featured, debuted July 21, 1987, with the film's theatrical release following on Aug. 7. The track became her sixth No. 1 single.

For today's Flashback Friday, take a look at Madonna performing the song in concert on the Who's That Girl world tour. Historical note: Madge hasn't performed the tune live since the Who's That Girl tour closed on Sept. 6, 1987.

Reminisce with us below.

#OnThisDay in 2008, Madonna kicked off her her record-breaking "Sticky & Sweet Tour" at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff Wales, UK!

The Sticky & Sweet Tour broke many records in terms of its ticket sales, commercial gross and audience attendance. After the first leg, it became the highest grossing tour by a solo artist, earning US $282 million ($308.89 in 2014 dollars), breaking the previous record Madonna herself held with her Confessions Tour. Overall, Madonna performed to over 3.5 million fans in 32 countries, grossing a total of US $408 million ($448.5 in 2014 dollars), making it the then-second highest-grossing tour of all time, behind only The Rolling Stones's A Bigger Bang Tour. It still remains the highest-grossing tour by a female artist and the fifth highest-grossing tour of all time. At the 2009 Billboard Touring Awards, the Sticky & Sweet Tour won the Top Tour and Top Draw prizes, which acknowledge the highest-grossing and highest-attended tours of the year, respectively.

Posted Image

Drowned World / Substitute For Love single released Aug 24, 1998

"Drowned World/Substitute for Love" received positive reviews from music critics, who noted its restrained and mature out bring from the album and enjoyed the song as an opener to the album. Commercially, the song had generally modest success, peaking in the top ten in countries including Spain, Japan, Italy and the United Kingdom. Although the song was not released in North America, resulting it not to chart, the B-side single "Sky Fits Heaven" managed to chart at number 41 on the US Hot Dance Club Songs.

An accompanying music video was released for the song, featuring Madonna running away from the paparazzi until she arrives at home. The video received controversy due to the scenes that feature Madonna being chased by paparazzi on motor-bikes, a scenario similar to Diana, Princess of Wales's death in 1997. The song was performed in two of Madonna's tours, these being the Drowned World Tour (2001) and the Confessions Tour (2006).

Posted Image

TODAY IN MADONNA HISTORY: AUGUST 25, 1987

Posted Image

On August 25 1987, “Causing a Commotion†was released as the second single from the soundtrack album “Who’s That Girl“, by Sire Records. “Causing a Commotion†was written and produced by Madonna and Stephen Bray, the song was inspired by Madonna’s relationship with then husband Sean Penn, and his abusive and violent nature.

Was it really inspired by that? its such a humorous-fun song...

http://themadgestycollection.blogspot.com/2014/07/for-recordcausing-commotion.html

For the Record...Causing a Commotion

...The song was written and produced by Madonna and long-term co-writer Stephen Bray and was inspired by her then husband Sean Penn and their often-tumultuous relationship. Madonna felt that her marriage to Penn was on the verge of breaking-up, due to Penn's abusive and violent nature. That translated as the inspiration behind the song. In a Rolling Stone article dated September 10, 1987, Madonna spoke about Penn's impact on her life and the song,

"I don't like violence. I never condone hitting anyone, and I never thought that any violence should have taken place. But on the other hand, I understood Sean's anger and believe me, I have wanted to hit him many times. I never would, you know, because I realize that it would just make things worse. I felt like he was 'Causing a Commotion' to purposefully distract me. I wrote this song and vented my frustration in it."