The best version/mix of Open Your Heart

Openyourheart

I'm relatively new as a hardcore M fan and I'm still exploring the various mixes of her songs for the most part and so I was wondering which version of OYH (my favourite song) is considered definitive. And also what people's favourite mix is?

I was presuming it's either the album or the video version that's considered definitive 

12 minutes ago, Openyourheart said:

I'm relatively new as a hardcore M fan and I'm still exploring the various mixes of her songs for the most part and so I was wondering which version of OYH (my favourite song) is considered definitive. And also what people's favourite mix is?

I was presuming it's either the album or the video version that's considered definitive 

Always the album version. It's the one Madonna picked as the definitive version

2 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

I don't think fans always have that much faith in Madonna's taste in her own songs from what I've seen. For example, I know Express Yourself is a song where people generally prefer the Shep Pettibone 7' version

39 minutes ago, Openyourheart said:

The European 7'' (Remix Edit A.K.A. Edit of Extended Version)

On 2/19/2023 at 2:30 PM, Fabiolous said:

This is a nonsense. She picked many 7'' versions too (months later after the album versions were released) and many times the 7'' versions are enhanced album versions, like "Open Your Heart", "Like A Prayer" or "Express Yourself".

Sometimes even the "Album Edits" are better than the album versions. 

19 minutes ago, Openyourheart said:

Thanks for all the responses. The 7' isn't available on streaming is it? 

It's not even released on CD. It's one of  her "holy grails": the European 7'' on CD or streaming from a digital source. 

Anyway there would be a better choice, but it remains unreleased: "Straight Pass #2". It's basically the 7'' Remix but includes the full ending (the commercial 7'' fades out too early). Sadly we have this version in a very low quality.

38 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

It's not even released on CD. It's one of  her "holy grails": the European 7'' on CD or streaming from a digital source. 

Anyway there would be a better choice, but it remains unreleased: "Straight Pass #2". It's basically the 7'' Remix but includes the full ending (the commercial 7'' fades out too early). Sadly we have this version in a very low quality.

So on streaming is the album version > FEL version in your opinion?

Edited by Openyourheart (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Openyourheart said:

What makes it atrocious? I've not heard it on particularly good speakers 

The bass and the treble is too high, and her voice is lowered too much (in a good stereo system sounds awful). If you wanna hear the FEL version with the best sound quality on streaming, then play the original video version on youtube:

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Mike Dean did nothing. It's just the Video Version with an atrocious remaster. 

exactly - i sold my CD of FEL as i think the mastering was awful on it - im so glad i kept all the original promo cd rips - i dont trust any of his "mastering" - i think him and M were smoking weed and downing champagne rose when they were "curating" this project - i really hope he isnt involved in any other mastering - she needs Bernie Grundman - his remastering on Tango In the Night and Sign O The Times is amazing :))

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

This is a nonsense. Her picked many 7'' versions too (months later after the album versions were released) and many times the 7'' versions are enhanced album versions, like "Open Your Heart", "Like A Prayer" or "Express Yourself".

Sometimes even the "Album Edits" are better than the album versions. 

Most of the time these are just butcherings, always go for the album version 

8 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

Most of the time these are just butcherings, always go for the album version 

Nah, many times the edits are better than the album version because a few album versions are too long and repetitive.

I'm not saying that all the album edits are better than the album versions, but I find many album edits better than the album versions, and I love when they add new elements not present in the albums.

11 hours ago, tscott said:

It's all about the Extended Version for me.  Love the ad libs and it's just too good to settle for an edited version.

The Extended version has the best intro. It's a blast. But I hate the typical noises made with her voice (present in almost every extended remix created in the 80s) and it's too long. 

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

The Extended version has the best intro. It's a blast. But I hate the typical noises made with her voice (present in almost every extended remix created in the 80s) and it's too long. 

They did some questionable voice effects in those 80s extended mixes. But I think that stuttering over the synth in OYH is amazing and really dramatic