The best version/mix of Open Your Heart

Openyourheart

39 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

They did some questionable voice effects in those 80s extended mixes. But I think that stuttering over the synth in OYH is amazing and really dramatic 

You don't live in Spain, so I suppose you don't know the famous "Max Mix" saga. They overused the voice effect in every spanish Maxi-Single since 1984. I was tired of the fucking voice effects. I really hate it. 

An example (1986) (includes "Holiday Rap"):

On 2/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, Openyourheart said:

I don't think fans always have that much faith in Madonna's taste in her own songs from what I've seen. For example, I know Express Yourself is a song where people generally prefer the Shep Pettibone 7' version

These are the dance, simple pop oriented fans, while others just care for the album version saying it's the best with its live drums, organic sound.... Both are great, it's all about tastes.   The best we can do is never trust in general opinions that can be so wrong, and just believe in our own point of view. And it's very fair to have faith in Madonna's taste, that is what made her music what it is.

So the best Open Your Heart is what you like the best,  I'd personally say the extended version is top of 80's remixes, and the Immaculate version is not as strong as the original, but it's another alternative we have to enjoy.  Let's not be reductive.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, Aiwa08 said:

This is a nonsense. Her picked many 7'' versions too (months later after the album versions were released) and many times the 7'' versions are enhanced album versions, like "Open Your Heart", "Like A Prayer" or "Express Yourself".

Sometimes even the "Album Edits" are better than the album versions. 

That's true. I love how the 7" Edits from the Like A Prayer era sound compared to the album versions. The best Album Edits in my opinion are Deeper And Deeper and Take A Bow because their album versions are too damn long :eyes:

1 hour ago, like a light said:

These are the dance, simple pop oriented fans, while others just care for the album version saying it's the best with its live drums, organic sound.... Both are great, it's all about tastes.   The best we can do is never trust in general opinions that can be so wrong, and just believe in our own point of view. And it's very fair to have faith in Madonna's taste, that is what made her music what it is.

So the best Open Your Heart is what you like the best,  I'd personally say the extended version is top of 80's remixes, and the Immaculate version is not as strong as the original, but it's another alternative we have to enjoy.  Let's not be reductive.

Isn't it obvious that there's no objective best and it's just personal taste? It was just a simple way of asking people what they felt the definitive version of the song was and which they felt is best.

Madonna is allowed to have her own taste, I'm just saying that her taste often goes against the grain of the majority fan opinion. Have as much or as little faith in her as you want.

Wasn't trying to be reductive, I was just born this way...

20 hours ago, Openyourheart said:

Isn't it obvious that there's no objective best and it's just personal taste? It was just a simple way of asking people what they felt the definitive version of the song was and which they felt is best.

Madonna is allowed to have her own taste, I'm just saying that her taste often goes against the grain of the majority fan opinion. Have as much or as little faith in her as you want.

:heart:Open your heart to me, darling. I'll give you love if you, you turn the key...

Don't take it personally. When I said  "let's not be reductive"  I was talking about ALL of us.  We have to admit we all  tend to forget sometimes that our opinions are personal and subjective,  obvious as it is.  It's also obvious that the definitive version is the album one, with the video version being the same with longer intro. 

About the faith in her taste against the majority of fans,  good for her not being too dependant of that, or her art would  not be so great and fans would always cut her wings, as poor Kylie and many others.

:heart:

13 minutes ago, like a light said:

It's also obvious that the definitive version is the album one. 

No. It's just the original version, not the definitive version. The same happens with "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Keep it Together", "Fever" and many more.  If you prefer the album version, good for you.

21 hours ago, Openyourheart said:

I think in some cases a specific version objectively becomes the main version of that song (Vogue TIC, Borderline 7” Edit). But of course we all have our preferences…

I think for OYH there is no definitive version. Nor is it clear which one Madonna prefers.

To me the best version is the video edit. The bells intro is the perfect way to start a perfect song 

25 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I think in some cases a specific version objectively becomes the main version of that song (Vogue TIC, Borderline 7” Edit). But of course we all have our preferences…

I think for OYH there is no definitive version. Nor is it clear which one Madonna prefers.

I've always thought that she loves the extended version because it's the one she used on the blond ambition tour (obviously edited)

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

No. It's just the original version, not the definitive version. The same happens with "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Keep it Together", "Fever" and many more.  If you prefer the album version, good for you.

Well,  album versions are supossed to be the standard, original, normal versions, so they are definitive, even tough there are reworked  single versions, that are definitive too.  Both album and single versions are  definitive and standard   That's the case of Open your heart, La isla, Deeper and deeper, Bad girl,  Like a prayer, Express yourself.  In the case of  Keep it together and Fever these are  remixes,  album version remains the only standard.  If some people likes the remix better, ok, but they are not "the definitive" , they're remixes.  And the main version of Vogue will always be the album and single ones,  Immaculate is all remixes.  Let's call the things by their name.

9 minutes ago, like a light said:

Well,  album versions are supossed to be the standard, original, normal versions, so they are definitive, even tough there are reworked  single versions, that are definitive too.  Both album and single versions are  definitive and standard   That's the case of Open your heart, La isla, Deeper and deeper, Bad girl,  Like a prayer, Express yourself.  In the case of  Keep it together and Fever these are  remixes,  album version remains the only standard.  If some people likes the remix better, ok, but they are not "the definitive" , they're remixes.  And the main version of Vogue will always be the album and single ones,  Immaculate is all remixes.  Let's call the things by their name.

And that is your mistake. A remix can be considered "definitive" over the album version. Like A Prayer (7'' version) , Express Yourself, Fever, Keep It together, What It Feels Like For A Girl remixes are the definitive version for many fans and no fans. 

Many album versions (I'm not talking only about Madonna) have failed as singles and later its remixed versions were a incredible hit. I only consider the album versions as "original versions" but not always the "definitive versions".

12 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

And that is your mistake. A remix can be considered "definitive" over the album version. Like A Prayer (7'' version) , Express Yourself, Fever, Keep It together, What It Feels Like For A Girl remixes are the definitive version for many fans and no fans. 

Many album versions (I'm not talking only about Madonna) have failed as singles and later its remixed versions were a incredible hit. I only consider the album versions as "original versions" but not always the "definitive versions".

Ok, you're talking about the definitive popularity of the song.  For example, it's obvious the remix of Missing by Everything but the girl is the only version that's known,  and you can call it definitive,  but  I'm saying  original album versions will always be the song in its purest form, definitive too, and remixes popularity won't  change that.

Express yourself  in Like a prayer record will never be less definitive than Pettibone's remix, no matter most of the people knows it better because of the video.  And no way WIFLFAG remix is definitive over the whole  song in Music.

3 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

For fans, maybe. For non-fans the remix is really the definitive version thanks to the video-clip. The single with the Album version wasn't a worldwide hit.

You're  using the  word  "definitive"   when you mean  "the most popular version" , as if popularity makes a version definitive..

The WIFLFAG remix may be the most popular for those who just know the video, but  album version is the definitive standard song.   A hit is the song in itself,  and the cd single contained album version, single edit and remixes ,  and it was a worldwide hit, sounding all over.

And I'm  DEFINITIVEly tired of this discussion,  amigo.

On 2/20/2023 at 5:08 PM, madgefan said:

That's true. I love how the 7" Edits from the Like A Prayer era sound compared to the album versions. The best Album Edits in my opinion are Deeper And Deeper and Take A Bow because their album versions are too damn long :eyes:

There isn't a version of Deeper and Deeper that could possibly be considered too long! :)

8 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

This is exactly what I came to say!  One of her best songs, extended to 10+ minutes?  No comparison!  Lol

For me, OPY Extended Remix introduced me to Madonna remixes.  Before the 12 Inch Maxi was released, I had no idea of her remixes.  At this time, most remixes were just extended versions of the original.  But over the next few years, her and few other artists took remixes to the next level.  I'm always partial to the extended remixes of the 80's songs.  They never strayed from the original and always was a nice extension to the original.