Tracks That Could've Been Hits If Released As Singles?

Openyourheart

I was thinking about tracks that deserved more recognition and could've become hits if released as singles and also just which of her singles do you think shouldn't have been? 

Can't Stop from Who's That Girl and Where's the Party (especially the You Can Dance version) easily could've been decent hits in the 80s for her in my opinion.

Another one I think of immediately is Ghosttown as the lead for Rebel Heart, or the Avicci version of the title track perhaps? 

Time Stood Still deserved to be a single more than American Pie too in my opinion, though AP commercially did well here in the UK. 

Physical Attraction - I still think that this would've been an amazing single 

Impressive Instant - If Warner didn't push for Amazing being the final single, Impressive would've been a perfect final single.

EDIT: I came up with more

Where's The Party - There were tons of single options from True Blue. Maybe it could've been a finale single before WTG or be released as a Double A-Side during the YCD era

Words - This still slaps to this day and deserves to be a single

Sky Fits Heaven - This would've been a perfect single in between the release DW and TPOG or a double A-Side with DW

Like @Openyourheart they could have released Can't Stop in the UK and it would have been top 5, same with Where's The Party Remix.  She could have issued anything 1985-1990 here in the UK and  it be a smash hit though. 

We had that quiet year before LAP (1988) when they could have padded out a few more singles. I guess it worked though as it was a huge deal when she came back with Like A Prayer. 

I always loved Swim and I think it could have been very succesful too. Also Time Stood still. I know that Nothing fails was a single, but it had no video and it suffered the backlash of the whole era, but in another situation, I think that song could have been huge.

1 hour ago, Drownedboy said:

I always loved Swim and I think it could have been very succesful too. Also Time Stood still. I know that Nothing fails was a single, but it had no video and it suffered the backlash of the whole era, but in another situation, I think that song could have been huge.

Had the same thought except the radio would have to cut or censor the "students rape their teachers" line I feel.

Also, Crazy instead of I Rise would've been a good idea I think. To prove she can still make straightforward bops when she feels like it.

Joan of Arc I could see having some radio appeal too, as a change of pace to the bangers.

Sooner or Later could've done as well as Hanky Panky too in my mind. Back in Business may have been less commercially successful than Hanky Panky or SOL but also deserved a chance to shine, as a fourth single perhaps. 

Edited by Openyourheart (see edit history)

In the golden era:

Over and Over

Where's The Party (You can dance remix)

Spanish Eyes

Words

Why's It So Hard (Using a good radio edit)

Goodbye To Innocence (Original Demo Version, not the final one available on "Just Say Roe")

(After 2012, with the proper promotion and videos)

Gang Bang (Using a Radio Edit to be shorter)

Love Spent

I'm Addicted

I'm a Sinner

Beautiful Killer

Rebel Heart (Avicii Version)

Wash All Over Me (Avicii Version)

Devil Pray

I've said it a few times on here but "Illuminati", with a Jonas Akerlund directed video referencing classic and modern conspiracy theories, would have blown up.

And "Impressive Instant" forever. I'm still surprised the "Singy singy" section isn't a Tik Tok thing...yet.

Oh and "The Look of Love". Just gorgeous.

8 minutes ago, Prayer said:

This one still hurts:

Her true LOST smash.

To push aside the best song - and even the title song of the album - because of childish issues with Avicii was simply insane. And to replace Avicii's magnificent version with a generic, boring mix was simply a hate crime.

9 minutes ago, Levon said:

To push aside the best song - and even the title song of the album - because of childish issues with Avicii was simply insane. And to replace Avicii's magnificent version with a generic, boring mix was simply a hate crime.

I think she simply came back to the original form of the song? If we listen to all the demos, both "Rebel Heart" and "Wash All Over Me" seemed to start as acoustic slow songs and then changed/remixed into the usual Avicii dance bangers, and then back to slow songs for the final versions. 

A mistake, anyway. It was... The Hit. I remember listening to it on the radio in Spain when it leaked, in November 2014, cause it was news of course, and it sounded MASSIVE.

35 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Huh?

"'My demos were better' Hear Avicii on Madonna's latest album"

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/madonna-avicii-argument-rebel-heart-17364670

"Avicii Reveals Butting Heads With Madonna in the Music Studio"

https://www.eonline.com/news/664330/avicii-reveals-butting-heads-with-madonna-in-the-music-studio-but-denies-dissing-her

"Avicii wasn't happy with the final versions of his tracks on Madonna's Rebel Heart"

https://www.digitalspy.com/music/a652006/avicii-wasnt-happy-with-the-final-versions-of-his-tracks-on-madonnas-rebel-heart/

1331695120_Screenshot2023-02-21at16-04-30RebelHeartAviciiAdmitsToClashingWithMadonnaDuringCollaboration-HypeMalaysia.thumb.png.e635080243b3e9affa765f046885c632.png

11 minutes ago, Levon said:

"'My demos were better' Hear Avicii on Madonna's latest album"

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/madonna-avicii-argument-rebel-heart-17364670

"Avicii Reveals Butting Heads With Madonna in the Music Studio"

https://www.eonline.com/news/664330/avicii-reveals-butting-heads-with-madonna-in-the-music-studio-but-denies-dissing-her

"Avicii wasn't happy with the final versions of his tracks on Madonna's Rebel Heart"

https://www.digitalspy.com/music/a652006/avicii-wasnt-happy-with-the-final-versions-of-his-tracks-on-madonnas-rebel-heart/

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 16-04-30 #RebelHeart Avicii Admits To Clashing With Madonna During Collaboration - Hype Malaysia.png

The journalist was trying to create some drama there but... obviously Avicii was going to like more his own versions of the songs than Madonna going out with them and reworking with other producers, right? Also his reply sounds relaxed and natural, not shady at all.

In her promo interviews for the album Madonna said Avicii got an illness or something like that and was in hospital and she had to find other people to keep working on the songs... then she found Diplo and they really connected with each other. Obviously she never had that kind of connection with Avicii when they worked together.

13 minutes ago, Prayer said:

The journalist was trying to create some drama there but... obviously Avicii was going to like more his own versions of the songs than Madonna going out with them and reworking with other producers, right? Also his reply was quite relaxed.

In her promo interviews for the album Madonna said Avicii got an illness or something like that and was in hospital and she had to find other people to keep working on the songs...

Of course the story is 80% tabloid drama, but it is obvious, that there was an unpleasant atmosphere in the studio, when Madonna decided to remove Avicii's successful hit formula from the album, after she had hired him to add just that. From an artistic point of view it may be understandable, from a commercial point of view less so.