Tracks That Could've Been Hits If Released As Singles?

Openyourheart

I don't think Physical Attraction would've charted well. It's a bit of a lull, not much happening throughout. 

Over And Over and White Heat without the movie sample might have done well with the general public. 

The singles from LAP are fine as they were, but perhaps Til Death and Spanish Eyes could've been added. Bad had so many singles after all. 

I agree that Words would have been great as a single. It's got great energy. Wouldn't choose anything further off BS, they're far too slow and mellow unless beefed up with radio mixes. 

Candy Perfume Girl and Swim could've done well given that trip hop was going strong at the time. 

A radio edit of the Paper Faces mix of Let It Will Be might have given her a bit chart hit. 

8 minutes ago, LoveSong said:

I don't think Physical Attraction would've charted well. It's a bit of a lull, not much happening throughout. 

Over And Over and White Heat without the movie sample might have done well with the general public. 

The singles from LAP are fine as they were, but perhaps Til Death and Spanish Eyes could've been added. Bad had so many singles after all. 

I agree that Words would have been great as a single. It's got great energy. Wouldn't choose anything further off BS, they're far too slow and mellow unless beefed up with radio mixes. 

Candy Perfume Girl and Swim could've done well given that trip hop was going strong at the time. 

A radio edit of the Paper Faces mix of Let It Will Be might have given her a bit chart hit. 

Agree about Physical Attraction. I think True Blue could've been like Bad in terms of singles, it still had steam going but Who's That Girl took over. The WTG would've been hits if they'd been on TB, and WTP and WH would've been if released as singles.

3 hours ago, LoveSong said:

3 hours ago, Openyourheart said:

Agree about Physical Attraction.

I don't know?  After all, it was offered as an double A-side to Burning Up (12 Inch) and got it's own promotional single release, it could have been a pretty decent hit for her.  I remember at the time, a lot of people dug that song more than some of the earlier singles.  I'm sure if it was pushed to radio and got an official single release after the success of Holiday and Lucky Star, it would have charted nicely.

21 minutes ago, tscott said:

I don't know?  After all, it was offered as an double A-side to Burning Up (12 Inch) and got it's own promotional single release, it could have been a pretty decent hit for her.  I remember at the time, a lot of people dug that song more than some of the earlier singles.  I'm sure if it was pushed to radio and got an official single release after the success of Holiday and Lucky Star, it would have charted nicely.

I think it would've performed the same as Burning Up honestly, it lulls a bit too much instrumentally for the radio to have taken to it I think. 

15 hours ago, MPowered said:

No and most definitely NO. 

OP:

From Madonna:

• Physical Attraction

From Like a Virgin:

• Over and Over
  • Love Don't Live Here Anymore

From True Blue:

• Where's the Party

From Like a Prayer:

• Till Death Do Us Part
  • Spanish Eyes

From Erotica:

• Words

From Bedtime Stories:

• Forbidden Love

From Something to Remember:

• I Want You

From Ray of Light:

• Swim
  • Sky Fits Heaven (It wasn’t allowed to become a single because of an agreement Madonna had with the writer of the poem the song was heavily lifted from)
  • Skin

From The Next Best Thing:

• Time Stood Still

From Music:

• Amazing
  • Impressive Instant

From American Life:

• Intervention

From Confessions on a Dance Floor:

• Isaac
  • Forbidden Love

From Hard Candy:

• Beat Goes On
  • Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
  • Heartbeat
  • She's Not Me

From MDNA:

• Beautiful Killer / Gang Bang (Dual Release)
  • I'm Addicted
  • Love Spent (Acoustic Radio Mix) OR Falling Free

From Rebel Heart:

• Devil Pray
  • Rebel Heart (NOT the dated-ass Avicii Version)
  • Hold Tight

From Madame X:

• Faz Gostosa
  • Crazy

This list so good apart of the (dated Avicii version) i mean it would fit as a remix for me but respect your choices

42 minutes ago, Openyourheart said:

I think it would've performed the same as Burning Up honestly, it lulls a bit too much instrumentally for the radio to have taken to it I think. 

Not the single edit.  It was perfect for radio.  But then again, in the 80's songs with an instrumentation break were popular.  I think it would have done better than Burning Up since the song was very well known to the general public.  It would have probably became a top 10 if it was released before or after Borderline. 

I think we have to be impartial when choosing a track that could've been a hit. Just because you love a song, doesn't mean that the song would do good commercially. Songs like "Physical Attraction" - I absolutely love this one - in my opinion, are not strong enough to be a hit. Here are my picks, including singles that didn't get the deserved attention.

DRESS YOU UP 
My favorite - and strongest - "Like A Virgin" single is a very underestimated song that could've had a proper video. Also, I can't deal with the fact that huge hits like "Crazy For You" and "Into The Groove" also ended up without a proper video.

SPANISH EYES
One of the most beautiful Madonna ballads! This one actually was played in Brazilian stations, but like "The Look of Love", wasn't included on "Something To Remember". Quite unfair!

RAIN
I'll never understand why "Fever" got 'hundreds' of (weird) mixes but "Rain", another beautiful ballad that could have great dance mixes, only got a radio mix similiar to the original version. Not to mention "Bad Girl"...

I LOVE NEW YORK
My favorite Confessions track. It could've been a strong fourh single, instead of "Jump".

BEAT GOES ON 
Not because I'm a fan of Pharrell's music since Britney's "I'm a Slave 4 U" (2001), but this is another super overlooked song! The best song of "Hard Candy" could've been a strong lead single. I can't believe she picked "4 minutes" (I was already tired of listening to Timbaland stuff). I like "Give It 2 Me" but it doesn't even get close to this one. By the way I'd like to add I love "Heartbeat" and thankgod she didn't release "Candy Shop". IDK why she likes this one. Maybe if the album version was the promo tour version.

ICONIC
The title says it all. I think "Rebel Heart" is the album with more songs that could be hits but if I had to choose one, I'd choose "Iconic" as the second single and leave "Ghosttown" as a the fourth. By the way I'm #TeamBitchI'mMadonna and I loved that she released this one.

FAZ GOSTOSO
Everytime two huge stars collaborate, we expect something huge. Unfortunately, the same thing that happened to "Me Against The Music" happened to "Faz Gostoso": a lost opportunity to make something incredible. In this case it was worst because the song wasn't even released, like the queen just did if just for fun. It could definitely be #1 in Brazil if they wanted. For those who don't know, Anitta is like the Brazilian Madonna.

What do you think?

I think the lack of promo videos for actual singles is more egregious than songs that should have been singles. Rescue Me, for one, shouldn’t be a forgotten hit outside of the fan base :(

But here goes…

Everybody/Burning Up (dance version) - I’d have released a double-A side in the UK when the first album singles were becoming hits as re-releases 

Crazy For You/Gambler - a double-A side for the US as Gambler wasn’t released there separately. Putting a non Madonna song on the b-side when they could have used Gambler instead was ridiculous 

Crimes of Passion - an early demo that I think was easily good enough to be not just on an early album, but a single too

Over and Over - I’m biased as this was a huge favourite as a child, but it probably wouldn’t have been as popular as Dress You Up or Angel(?)

Each Time You Break My Heart - just listening to the rough sound quality demo it’s so obviously a lost smash hit. The Nick Kamen version just doesn’t sparkle like Madonna’s 

Spotlight/Where’s The Party YCD mix - another double-A side, to promote You Can Dance. I loved Spotlight so much as a child

Till Death Do Us Part - I loved this one too. Maybe would have released Oh Father in UK after Dear Jessie, which did surprisingly well. I’d have scrapped Cherish as a single, like True Blue it’s just a bit too cute and safe for Madonna 🥱 

Words - instead of Fever. Launch the album with Deeper and Deeper (plus a better promo video) 

Thief of Hearts - with Why’s it So Hard as the b-side. I still think that Erotica is just such an amazing album 

Bedtime Story/Sanctuary - make it a double-A side. Imagine if there had been an additional, alternate edit of the Bedtime Story promo video that included Sanctuary as well. It would have been legendary. These two tracks listened to together are the album’s masterpiece 

Sky Fits Heaven - I know there’s reasons why it couldn’t have been a single. But it’s just too brilliant not to have received radio play and a promo video of its own 

Nobody Knows Me - deserved to be a single outside the US. It had remixes, but needed a promo video 

Devil Wouldn’t Recognise You - either after or instead of Miles Away 

Across the Sky - chuck in Animal as an exclusive b-track. I know there’s lots of strong unreleased songs, but this is one that I played a lot back in the day. I prefer the unreleased Hard Candy tracks, to a lot of them that made the cut e.g. Spanish Lesson or Candy Shop

Joan of Arc - with Heartbreak City as a b-side. I’m not sure what should have been the lead single for Rebel Heart, but Living For Love wasn’t it

Unapologetic Bitch - if M wanted a defiant ‘bitch’ single, this is so much preferable to the cringe of BiM 

Beautiful Killer - instead of bland forgettable Turn Up the Radio. My favourite song on MDNA by far. A remix of Gang Bang on b-side. I’d pick this over Gimme All Your Luvin, which felt a bit juvenile, as a lead single 

Edited by MadonnaDave (see edit history)

On 2/22/2023 at 1:27 AM, Openyourheart said:

I feel like Has To Be is too slow to be a single, and Trust No Bitch would've been straight up embarrassing for her and I'm saying that as a fan of the song (it's camp). 

I love some of your out of the box answers though

If the 90s M is doing the RH album, she would've named the album "Bitches"! :bubblebitch:

1st single: Bitch, I'm Madonna

2nd single: Unapologetic Bitch

3rd single: Trust No Bitch

4th single: 2 Steps Behind Me (Bitch Remix)

There’s really obvious ones like

Physical Attraction

Over & Over

Where’s The Party

And more than anything else 

SPOTLIGHT proper 

but I think 

Stay / Love Don’tLive Here Anymore 

Would have done really well

White Heat would have smashed 

It hasn't aged well but Love Makes The World Go Round would have been a hit too.

It’s very tropi-bop with a social conscience which was big at the time. That Miami Sound Machine sound was huge. 
I’m convinced Madonna wrote in spite for not being included on Live Aid. 

Can’t Stop would have worked and I wish The Look Of Love was an international single it’s honestly achingly beautiful. 

Promise To Try would have done better than Oh Father especially after Cherish. I think it would have been a Huge 80’s ballad. 

Sooner Or Later not being a single was a real WTF moment. 

I too thought Words sounded like a single at the time but Erotica did pretty well. 

Inside Of Me was the ONE on Bedtime Story. So lush and mid 90’s. 
Dont Stop would have worked as a cute double A with Inside Of Me

Sky Fits Heaven. 

Time Stood Still

Nobody Knows Me (remix)

Mother & Father (would have smashed in UK)

Gone

Forbidden Love 05

Beat Goes On

Lovespent

Im A Sinner

Avcici Heart 

God Control

10 hours ago, tscott said:

Physical Attraction half filled the dancefloor on the rare occassions back then I heard it played.
Nile Rodgers said he got a 'better' cut as Producer 'coz the label weren't expecting the $ALE$ they got.
Remix Albums for such a new artist them aeons ago is the label belatedly cashing in on demand.
"All killer, no filler."
U have to think in vinyl up until the mid '90's.
:dance:

On 2/22/2023 at 11:04 AM, TonyMontana said:

The following tracks would have been her biggest classics if released as singles : I know it, Jimmy Jimmy, Birthday song. Period.

There's no doubt these are super catchy songs that with the right airplay would be the most popular.   I've always said  this.

Just look B day song in Spotify.  And I can tell in my school everybody was singing Jimmy Jimmy!

19 hours ago, DickTracy said:

Rebel Heart album version is so silly sounding, I almost wish I never heard the Avicii version so I would like it more. Idk to me the final beat is hokey/corny for an album title track.

The released Rebel Heart is so much majestic and classy. The slower melody makes it so much powerful and emotional, such a hymn.

The  poppy version is only better for poppy people. (It's great too, of course, but the album needed the serious one)

38 minutes ago, poodle said:

Don't Stop is *the* song that could have been a radio hit. :hearteyes::suffer: 

Did you know that "Don't Stop" was played a lot in Brazil? At least by the station I used to listen to.

Fun fact is they also used to play it after the breaks (maybe to kill time?) outside the programs.

Into The Groove (US)
Where's The Party
I Want You
Skin 
Amazing/Impressive Instant
Nobody Knows Me
Forbidden Love or Let It Will Be
Beat Goes On
I'm Addicted/Gang Bang (with the video)
Devil Pray/Rebel Heart (remixed with elements of the famous demo)

Madame X I'm still confused what/what wasn't a single.
I suppose proper God Control mixes, but single wise not sure what else could have been released. Maybe Faz Gostoso?