* essential watch; 'Paris Is Burning' (1990)

4 minutes ago, androiduser said:

so he is not entitled to an opinion because.. what, the opinion doesn't praise Madonna? Deep in Vogue features Willie Ninja, "the godfather of vogueing" on vocals.

Wait until some Madonna fans realize some people (especially the most marginalized, the darker tones) feel really offended by how she portrayed and acted in terms of ballroom culture. I may not totally agree with them but they're absolutely in their right.

1 minute ago, artlover said:

Wait until some Madonna fans realize some people (especially the most marginalized, the darker tones) feel really offended by how she portrayed and acted in terms of ballroom culture. I may not totally agree with them but they're absolutely in their right.

Exactly, people from the original ballroom scene from that time have every right to feel any way they feel

2 hours ago, androiduser said:

so he is not entitled to an opinion because.. what, the opinion doesn't praise Madonna? Deep in Vogue features Willie Ninja, "the godfather of vogueing" on vocals.

why do people answer something
with something else that was never said

he was explaining h o w Madonna's record became a hit
claws away dear

On 3/7/2023 at 11:42 AM, clkelley39 said:

Do yourselves a favor and watch the deleted scenes and outtakes on the Criterion Blu-Ray. There's nearly 2 hours of it and it's like watching and entirely additional movie. Chef's kiss emoji.

please rip it. There's no Criterion Blu-ray in Brazil. 

'Paris is Burning' is a great documentary, but there are also many ethical issues with it. I recommend you look at some some of the criticism around how it was shot, used, narrated and circulated etc. Director, who is a white cis woman,  exploited the people in the documentary, their life and vulnerabilities. 

Nonetheless it is a great document shedding light onto what could have remained unseen otherwise.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:44 AM, mazzona said:

'Paris is Burning' is a great documentary, but there are also many ethical issues with it. I recommend you look at some some of the criticism around how it was shot, used, narrated and circulated etc. Director, who is a white cis woman,  exploited the people in the documentary, their life and vulnerabilities. 

Nonetheless it is a great document shedding light onto what could have remained unseen otherwise.

Thank you for your answer but I don't agree with the criticisms.

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/faculty/gustafson/FILM 165A.W11/film 165A[W11] readings /hooksparis.pdf