The reason for the (apparently) slower sales of Like a Prayer?

androiduser

8 hours ago, Dj Garrido said:

In Rolling Stone, reviewer J. D. Considine wrote that with Like a Prayer Madonna was asking, successfully, to be taken seriously; "Daring in its lyrics, ambitious in its sonics, this is far and away the most self-consciously serious album she's made. There are no punches pulled, anywhere". Considine concluded his review by hailing the album "as close to art as pop music gets ... proof not only that Madonna should be taken seriously as an artist but that hers is one of the most compelling voices of the Eighties".

LAP was the first big watershed in Madonna´s carrer, when she turned from pop sensation into an artist to be taken seriously. Though the sales were not as big as its predecessors, it has an giant importance in her legacy. 

her first big watershed was True Blue and if we are technical about it, her debut was a watershed that changed music forever. Do not pretend Like A Prayer was when her importance began, and to this day True Blue remains her biggest seller and rightly so.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Don't forget something important. Many classic fans (specially macho men) started to hate Madonna with "Like A Prayer" (too gay friendly for them?)

Again might depend on where you live... I never heard a word about it here... everyone loved the album... Our local towns radio even tested non-singles like "Promise to try" on their listeners hit-list...reaching number 1...

15 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

I think the lap video controversy hurt the sales of the album and musically it was a radical departure from true blue - this was also the year when Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson had much bigger hits than Madonna so they probably took away some of her success mainly in the USA - Madonna only had 1 number one single whereas they had 3 or 4 I think ( hard to believe Paula Abdul sold more but there you go ) 

In all fairness, Forever Your Girl was an absolute masterpiece and the singles from that album were incredible. LAP has some brilliant singles, but Paula was fresh at the time and probably the best dancer of any female pop soloist. 

Wasn't there a worldwide slump in record sales in 1989-90?

I remember reading this somewhere. Probably something to do with a confused market place and consumers waiting to find out what would become the dominant format especially when people already had titles from a by then established artists in vinyl only format. 

1989-90 is really when the CD properly took flight as the new format. I remember plenty of times thinking.

"Should I get this on CD or is it a fad?2 Plus CD's were hella expensive, double the price of a vinyl which was about £7.99.

Lots of CD's were between £12.;99 and £16.99 for back catalogue titles. Sometimes as much as £21.99. People had probably just forked out a load of money on new CD players too so.

I remember reading New Kids On The Blocks Hangin Tough was the lowest selling number 1 of all time.

It was also a time where rave and hip hop were really starting to come though. Pirate copies and white labels started to filter through to sides of the market for the first time. Much of these would not have hit the neilson soundscan radar. 

But like others had said.

The huge drought of 1988: where other pop starlets took her bandwidth. (lets not forget she did not take her foot off our necks for five years prior to that it was an onslaught).

One single before the album dropped: True Blue had beniffited from having both Live To Tell & Papa Dont preach out when the album dropped. 

The sporadic singles run after Cherish: also Express Yourself didn't really seem to do the numbers I expected it to.  Even as a hardcore fan I could not work out what was going on. Oh Father was on Americas Top Ten Countdown that was screened here but not released and then suddenly the Animated and highly niche Dear Jessie was released, Then no Keep It Together. It was scatty as hell and whiplash inducing. Like A Prayer album felt abandoned half way and like it had run out of steam. I hated the album on first listen and i mean hated. I was so upset with her I thought she'd lost it. lol. It was a challenging listen for a 13 year old. I think it's the point where she started to lose a lot of fans too. Compared to her titan singles run and flawless campaign from True Blue.

Suddenly out of nowhere "Vogue": Closely followed by I'm Breathless & The Immaculate Collection.

25 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Wasn't there a worldwide slump in record sales in 1989-90?

I remember reading this somewhere. Probably something to do with a confused market place and consumers waiting to find out what would become the dominant format especially when people already had titles from a by then established artists in vinyl only format. 

1989-90 is really when the CD properly took flight as the new format. I remember plenty of times thinking.

"Should I get this on CD or is it a fad?2 Plus CD's were hella expensive, double the price of a vinyl which was about £7.99.

Lots of CD's were between £12.;99 and £16.99 for back catalogue titles. Sometimes as much as £21.99. People had probably just forked out a load of money on new CD players too so.

I remember reading New Kids On The Blocks Hangin Tough was the lowest selling number 1 of all time.

It was also a time where rave and hip hop were really starting to come though. Pirate copies and white labels started to filter through to sides of the market for the first time. Much of these would not have hit the neilson soundscan radar. 

But like others had said.

The huge drought of 1988: where other pop starlets took her bandwidth. (lets not forget she did not take her foot off our necks for five years prior to that it was an onslaught).

One single before the album dropped: True Blue had beniffited from having both Live To Tell & Papa Dont preach out when the album dropped. 

The sporadic singles run after Cherish: also Express Yourself didn't really seem to do the numbers I expected it to.  Even as a hardcore fan I could not work out what was going on. Oh Father was on Americas Top Ten Countdown that was screened here but not released and then suddenly the Animated and highly niche Dear Jessie was released, Then no Keep It Together. It was scatty as hell and whiplash inducing. Like A Prayer album felt abandoned half way and like it had run out of steam. I hated the album on first listen and i mean hated. I was so upset with her I thought she'd lost it. lol. It was a challenging listen for a 13 year old. I think it's the point where she started to lose a lot of fans too. Compared to her titan singles run and flawless campaign from True Blue.

Suddenly out of nowhere "Vogue": Closely followed by I'm Breathless & The Immaculate Collection.

I thought for years it was a fillers album, now I appreciate it but it took many years.

Even though Express Yourself and Cherish got good reviews on release neither were big sellers. Both singles sales were way behind the sales of most of Like a Virgin and True Blue singles.

Did the fact that CD's were becoming more prominent in the late 80's mean that many who have purchased the earlier albums on vinyl or cassette and then bought again on CD but bought Like a Prayer just once on CD only.

Into The Groove wasn't released as a single because the label thought it would eat away from the sales of Like A Virgin the album and LAV itself was delayed to allow her first album to sell more, I thought that was a stupid argument but I guess it's a true phenomenon and I'm Breathless and The Immaculate Collection ate away at its sales and momentum. Also she changed her look before the album came out, went and did Dick Tracy, did the Blond Ambition Tour, not the Like A Prayer tour, all the singles post Like A Prayer like Express Yourself and the rest almost feel like a separate thing from the album.

I think some have pegged why Like A Prayer had lower sales than her prior two albums.  It's a combination of many things, but for the most part, we have to keep in mind True Blue sales was something extraordinary at the time.  Still, she had a mix of her wannabee fans, female fans and started gaining a lot of fans from the LGBTQ community.   But by the time, LAP was released, she lost a lot of fans between female and wannabe fans.  Also, she had less straight male fans by then.  Many fans grew out of her while she was taking a more serious approach with the LAP album.  I think initially the lead single LAP probably managed to win over the public more than the album.  But with the controversy with the video and Pepsi, and having the Pope condemn her, I'm sure it didn't do any favors for the album.  Still, over 15 million World wide isn't something to sneeze at.  I also agree, there were a lot more huge female acts emerging which she was competing with.  The album probably could have had better sales if the Pepsi deal wasn't cancelled because if I recall, there was supposed to be campaigns for the follow up singles as well.  And since she went into filming Dick Tracy, she had a harder time promoting the album more herself.  Though, she didn't really do much promotion herself with True Blue.  The music and videos pretty much spoke for themselves.  She did very few interviews and no promotional performances for True Blue.  Like a Virgin album had very few promotional interviews and performances too. MTV played a huge part in promoting her music.  By the time LAP was released, they even had weekends dedicated to her. 

True Blue's numbers are CRAZY!!! I never would have guessed it would be the top Album in sales let alone by so much. Maybe I have a mental block on this album but I consider it one of my least favorites... I feel like I may have found this album AFTER the Immaculate Collection too and since 4 of the main singles were already known to me, True Blue and Where's the Party were the only songs that were fresh. 

It´s interesting that Express Yourself according to some of you was not such a big seller. Neither Cherish, but both were almost number one and had amazing, iconic videos, specially Express yourself. I think Express Yourself has become as iconic as LAP, LAV, Papa or Vogue, but maybe it was not such at the start and gained more iconic status as time went by?

Also interesting her image and persona for this album were cut before the album came out, only really used for the pictures and the first video clip. It would have been very interesting to think how it would have been had she not been playing Breathless Mahoney literallly as the album came. Talking about bad timing. Although I think her image for Express Yourself was perfect and iconic.

I also want to say that True Blue might not be such a great album in the way LAP is, as an stamente of her maturity or artistry, but I think the execution of its promotion, clips and singles related, seems now like it was perfect. I mean, the right songs, the perfect clips, one hit after another, without strange moves as in other albums of hers. It lacked maybe the release of Where´s the party as the last single and it could have sold even better? But I´m sure by the time she had new singles to release, she was so busy at the time. True Blue is a great pop record, she consolidated her position, and I think in a way it´s more cohesive than LAP, even though not greater at the end.

31 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

It´s interesting that Express Yourself according to some of you was not such a big seller. Neither Cherish, but both were almost number one and had amazing, iconic videos, specially Express yourself. I think Express Yourself has become as iconic as LAP, LAV, Papa or Vogue, but maybe it was not such at the start and gained more iconic status as time went by?

Also interesting her image and persona for this album were cut before the album came out, only really used for the pictures and the first video clip. It would have been very interesting to think how it would have been had she not been playing Breathless Mahoney literallly as the album came. Talking about bad timing. Although I think her image for Express Yourself was perfect and iconic.

I also want to say that True Blue might not be such a great album in the way LAP is, as an stamente of her maturity or artistry, but I think the execution of its promotion, clips and singles related, seems now like it was perfect. I mean, the right songs, the perfect clips, one hit after another, without strange moves as in other albums of hers. It lacked maybe the release of Where´s the party as the last single and it could have sold even better? But I´m sure by the time she had new singles to release, she was so busy at the time. True Blue is a great pop record, she consolidated her position, and I think in a way it´s more cohesive than LAP, even though not greater at the end.

I think True Blue is as great as Like A Prayer, as a matter of fact I think her first four albums are all perfect and equally great, I don't understand critics that dismiss "Madonna" as fluff or less evolved like she stupidly said once, it is flawless.

57 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

Even though it’s not one of her biggest hits it feels like one of her signature songs. When you watch interviews and segments from the 90s and 2000’s this is a song that is often featured.

True Blue and Like A Prayer are sister albums. Both sides of the Sean story. 
I’ve always seen them as such.

True Blues iconic sex head back marital sexual ecstasy cover. 
Like A Prayers post divorce navel gazing cover. 
Both albums core subject matters are her issues with the patriarchy. 

3 minutes ago, steady75 said:

YES!!! For me the two albums are one. TB is the young/happy side, and LAP is the adult/sad side of the same story. 

15 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

EY was iconic thanks to the remix and the videoclip (and thanks to the blond ambition tour) but I remember how I hated that the single wasn't #1 in many countries. I couldn't believe it. People loved the video-clip, but not the single (maybe because it was too similar to the album version?).

4 hours ago, steady75 said:

yikes.

18 hours ago, ramonjurado said:

her first big watershed was True Blue and if we are technical about it, her debut was a watershed that changed music forever. Do not pretend Like A Prayer was when her importance began, and to this day True Blue remains her biggest seller and rightly so.

I always thought that Like a Virgin was the biggest seller, although it is my least favorite of all of her albums from Madonna through Madame X.  I still love LAV but it is number 15 out of 15 for me.  (And yes.... I'm Breatless will always count as a studio album for me).  Haha. True Blue was my first M album and it is platinum gold.  

Other one I´m always surprised it did not sold even better, although it sold great, it is ROL. I mean, everybody know what a masterpiece is, fans or not, and 16 millions of such a universally acclaimed gem seems like it should have sold above 20, specially after people like Adele sold so much when physical sales were already destroyed. I mean, ROL along with the bodyguard soundtrack, or 21 or Inmaculate collection is for sure one of the most iconic albums recorded by a woman ever.

In a way, the same happens with LAP. It is soo iconic you would guess it has sold more than 20 million and 15 felts short.

5 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

Other one I´m always surprised it did not sold even better, although it sold great, it is ROL. I mean, everybody know what a masterpiece is, fans or not, and 16 millions of such a universally acclaimed gem seems like it should have sold above 20, specially after people like Adele sold so much when physical sales were already destroyed. I mean, ROL along with the bodyguard soundtrack, or 21 or Inmaculate collection is for sure one of the most iconic albums recorded by a woman ever.

In a way, the same happens with LAP. It is soo iconic you would guess it has sold more than 20 million and 15 felts short.

True, but while "Ray Of Light" benefited from the huge CD market in 1998 and 1999, it also had Napster around the corner... in 2000. Without that huge change in the industry she probably had sold some more millions just in back catalog sales in the next few years? "Music" was another blockbuster album and it already went down to 11M, so...

I was checking this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_by_women

Impressive. For reference, Madonna albums:

"The Immaculate Collection": 30M

"True Blue": 25M

"Like A Virgin": 21M

"Ray Of Light": 16M

"Like A Prayer": 15M

"Music": 11M

"Madonna": 10M

"Something To Remember": 10M -> what? Didn't know that

"Confessions On A Dance Floor": 10M