M/M (Paris) on the “American Life” Cover

cosmic_system

56 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Maybe it was a statement? Or something completely different than what we have in mind? 

Maybe. Or she just wanted to create controversy out of nothing again. The Black Madonna cover couldn't really justify the rest of the album.

I enjoyed the little statements on her last album covers though. Her name sewn across her lips, the wires around her face, her shattered image on the broken mirror. In the 00's she always had kinda strong triumphant and liberated poses. I like that contrast to the 10's. And the albums got deeper.

2 hours ago, Ayham said:

Maybe it was a statement? Or something completely different than what we have in mind? 

It has layers of meaning, but what does any of that have to do with the actual album? I find the title and concept interesting, but let’s be honest, it doesn’t apply to any of the songs on the album.

On 3/12/2023 at 4:55 PM, Blue Prince said:

I guess it is a good idea to say no to Madonna when it comes to album covers, let's not forget what she wanted to make of the Hard Candy one. I would also have preferred the single cover instead, looks more complete to me. Having said that, this and LAP- though iconic- are her worst covers for me.

and THAT'S what's wrong now... Madonna's current team only says YES to her. People in her circle are afraid to challenger or contradict her... or also they don't know how to back up their arguments

On 3/12/2023 at 12:04 PM, Roland Barthes said:

It is some kind of confirmation that Warner did not want to foot the bill for the photoshoot (it happened in the midst of her legal battles with them regarding Maverick)

Cature.jpg

But how was this shoot so expensive, it looks like it was just a studio, a couple of printed backgrounds and a flag, I know Craig McDean is a respected fashion photographer but he can't have been the highest paid at the time? 

Would love someone to share some outtakes one day. I really want to see the images with the red spray paint background and peg letter board. 

I appreciate the thought that went into the album cover but god…that booklet was so horrible and disappointing. 😂😂😂 8 year old me was a little bummed out that there weren’t any visually appealing pictures.

Looking back, the photoshoot was gorgeous. They didn’t need to overedit it as much imo.

5 minutes ago, MPowered said:

I appreciate the thought that went into the album cover but god…that booklet was so horrible and disappointing. 😂😂😂 8 year old me was a little bummed out that there weren’t any visually appealing pictures.

Looking back, the photoshoot was gorgeous. They didn’t need to overedit it as much imo.

I have to agree that, while I loved the cover, the booklet was a disappointment for me at the time too. I didn't love the letters thing and the lack of lyrics now we're used to it, but back then was not cool and an adjustment.

But I appreciate the artwork a lot more now.

2003-american-life-box-set-69.jpg

47 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Ahead of its time. Less pictures more valuable content! 😎 

12 hours ago, deathproof said:

It has layers of meaning, but what does any of that have to do with the actual album? I find the title and concept interesting, but let’s be honest, it doesn’t apply to any of the songs on the album.

Maybe it was different project/album? I think it was concept for different album. Maybe? 🙃 Hard Candy was Give It To Me. But Black Madonna was something else. 

29 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Maybe it was different project/album? I think it was concept for different album. Maybe? 🙃 Hard Candy was Give It To Me. But Black Madonna was something else. 

No, she wanted the "Black Madonna" concept for the "Hard Candy" album cover but Guy Oseary said "bitch, no, please" and she listened (thank God). Madonna in blackface controversy? Please, no.

The album was called "Give It To Me" while the boxer photoshoot was done, that's why she had the belt done and everything. But she changed it to "Hard Candy" later so they kept the photoshoot but all the backgrounds were changed to candy images and all that.

Of all the covers of Madonna's albums, I prefer those that focus on her face and the emotions that Madonna wants to convey. The illusion of first love on the cover of True Blue, the unbridled eroticism and sensual ecstasy on the cover of Erotica, the spirituality and purity of the soul in Ray of Light, etc.

In the case of American Life, one of my favorite albums, it is the coldness, harshness and insensitivity expressed in Madonna's gaze due to living in such a violent and bloody environment as war (and where death and suffering of the human being is an everyday thing) the emotions that I manage to distinguish. That is why I love that this was the official cover of all the alternatives that there were (like the one where she is holding a weapon) because there are no other elements that distract our attention and make us lose sight of the message that Madonna originally wants to convey.

23 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

Maybe. Or she just wanted to create controversy out of nothing again. The Black Madonna cover couldn't really justify the rest of the album.

I enjoyed the little statements on her last album covers though. Her name sewn across her lips, the wires around her face, her shattered image on the broken mirror. In the 00's she always had kinda strong triumphant and liberated poses. I like that contrast to the 10's. And the albums got deeper.

The 2000s looks and covers were Kylie Minogue rip-offs (cowgirl, Patty Hearst/Che Guevara, disco queen, boxer) and it came off cartoonish. I’d rather see M as M rather than a boxer or a cowgirl. 

7 hours ago, luluthecat said:

It’s strange they say the Patty Hearst (who I’d never heard of) reference is “cliche” but then recommend going with a Che Guevara style headshot, isn’t that a cliche? 

And it's more fitting, especially with American Life the song. Patty Hearst was an heir to the Hearst fortune whom was kidnapped and then shared the revolutionary far left views of her kidnappers and joined them, questioning the values of her family and the american capitalist way of life. And then she came back to an heir again...just like Madonna bought a huge house in Beverly Hills in may 2003 and made deals with Estée Lauder and Gap.

3 hours ago, diegolcl said:

Not Kylie inventing cowgirls, boxing, Che Guevara, Patty Hearst and Disco. Sometimes I hate gays, I really do.

80S Eye Roll GIF

Yes she did. There's even a whole blog dedicated to it and run by looneys directly from the nuthouse. They have spent decades trashing Madonna and i'm convinced they are trolling this forum. Here's a cap of the header their neurotic blog :

ccc.jpg

WHO HAS A YAHOO EMAIL IN 2023 ? Looneys.

5 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

And it's more fitting, especially with American Life the song. Patty Hearst was an heir to the Hearst fortune whom was kidnapped and then shared the revolutionary far left views of her kidnappers and joined them, questioning the values of her family and the american capitalist way of life. And then she came back to an heir again...just like Madonna bought a huge house in Beverly Hills in may 2003 and made deals with Estée Lauder and Gap.

That's freakin' genius 

3 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Yes she did. There's even a whole blog dedicated to it and run by looneys directly from the nuthouse. They have spent decades trashing Madonna and i'm convinced they are trolling this forum. Here's a cap of the header their neurotic blog :

ccc.jpg

WHO HAS A YAHOO EMAIL IN 2023 ? Looneys.

:Madonna034: me sitting here with my yahoo email and adoring Madonna