Favorite dub versions

Honey Little

Armand Van Helden's mix of "Ghosttown" is basically a dub. I like it as a 90's throwback.

The Johnny Vicious Dub of "Celebration" is great too. There's an almost freestyle like breakdown in the middle. It's crazy to me there was never an officially commissioned latin freestyle mix of one of her 80's singles.

21 hours ago, LoveSong said:

What a great topic 🙂

I love the dub versions, probably starting with Up Down Suite. I remember it was so strange to get a dub of a song that I didn't know the original of at the time. 

Next up is Wet Dream Dub for Bedtime Story. It was just insane and loved how the vocal was used and chopped up.  The Drumapella Dub for Frozen was brilliant and always wished they had used it in the commercial release.

Rescue Me had a great dub, but can't remember what it was called. The one with "freak. Dominate"

Like A Prayer is an obvious mention. The Dub Beats was great. I really wonder why they didn't put it on the maxi. 

Fever's Infernal Dub had all the right vibes for me. Express Yourself - great! And they did put it on the maxi, didn't they? Human Nature's I'm Not Your Bitch is classed as a dub, isn't it? 

Vogue and Deeper And Deeper were fun to have back then. As was Bye Bye Baby.

Ultimately, it's Erotica I'd choose as my favourite dub, thanks to the WO Dub. It's hypnotic and entrancing to hear even 30 years later. It's aged very well.

Songs I wished had dubs: Justify My Love, Burning Up, Skin, La Isla Bonita and Papa Don't Preach.

Not fond of Luke Slater's Super Looper of The Power of Goodbye. It's definitely a dub, but so poorly executed. Nor am I fond of Who's That Girl's Dub. The remix and the dub just went in the wrong direction for me. Shep should've done that instead.

The 80s and the 90s had the best dubs. Not really find of anything beyond that.

Fuck, I forgot the Kruder & Dorfmeister dub of Nothing Really Matters! MF masterpiece there.

21 hours ago, LoveSong said:

Fuck, I forgot the Kruder & Dorfmeister dub of Nothing Really Matters! MF masterpiece there.

Yes, I totally agree! 

Wasn't it a trip about Up Down Suite?  Before I even heard it, I was blown away when I saw that it was 12+ minutes on the CD cover.  And then finding out it was Goodbye to Innocence, which was kind of a mysterious track at the time?  

Someday I will tell about my relationship with the Erotica album, but the short version is that it came out as I was coming of age and coming out, and everything about that era was just So.Fucking.Incredible. to young me.

P.S.  I almost forgot about the LDLHA Dubs, every one of which is hott shit.

2 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

Yes, I totally agree! 

Wasn't it a trip about Up Down Suite?  Before I even heard it, I was blown away when I saw that it was 12+ minutes on the CD cover.  And then finding out it was Goodbye to Innocence, which was kind of a mysterious track at the time?  

Someday I will tell about my relationship with the Erotica album, but the short version is that it came out as I was coming of age and coming out, and everything about that era was just So.Fucking.Incredible. to young me.

P.S.  I almost forgot about the LDLHA Dubs, every one of which is hott shit.

Absolutely - back then was no way to have known about the origins of Up Down Suite - was just like "ok, so that's the dub, is there an Up Down Suite full mix then?" Kinda like the Rough Mix of Let Down Your Guard, has anyone ever heard the original mix almost 30 years later? 😮

Great question. My top 10 in no particular order:

• Open Your Heart (Dub)
  • Express yourself (Stop+Go Dubs)
  • Rescue Me (Houseboat Dub)
  • Bedtime story (Junior's Sound Factory Dub)
  • Fever (Shep's Remedy dub)
  • Erotica (Bass hit Dub) or (Masters At Work Dub)
  • Deeper and Deeper (David's Love Dub)
  • Love Don't Live Here anymore (Mark!s It's A Girl AND It's A Boy Dub)
  • I Don't Search I Find (Craig C's Found Dub)