Medellín is my guilty pleasure today!

Sultrysully

I cannot get enough of Medellín today.  I think that it is a fantasticallically crafted single.  To me, it feels like Hung Up and La Isla Bonita had a baby!  Love the mix so much. I have been singing it all day long.  I have alway enjoyed Medellín.... but today.... it is life for me.  1...2... cha cha cha... What is your guilty pleasure?  

Madonna_-_Medellín.png

6 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

I wish Medellin had a catchier chorus 😩 

I think the fact that the actual chorus is held off till the halfway point is both an extra special climax and maybe a hindrance. A lot of people probably consider the “Vencomigo , let’s take a trip” as the chorus and in that context it sounds weak. But if you look at it as the pre chorus, and the actual chorus is “Si te enamoro (si me enamoras)” it’s much more impactful. 

There’s a certain tension that is released when they finally sing this part and it’s so beautiful. 

"Medellín" is not a guilty pleasure, it's a great lead single and video! There I said it.

I still maintain it's her best lead single + video combo since probably "4 Minutes"? "Give Me All Your Luvin'" had a great video but the song was not the best on the album and "Living For Love" was a great song but not an amazing first single video that she usually give us.

The "Medellín" single, while not an instant smash (it's a grower), went fully for the softer sound and voice she first tried with "Body Shop" on the "Rebel Heart" album. I like that calmer and gentle side of her, exploring new textures with her voice. After almost 40 years, her trying new and different things is always welcome.

The song itself was a risk, even getting Maluma on board was somehow a guarantee of some level in Latin countries. But a 5-minute track mixing English and Spanish in 2019? Again, maybe it was a little ahead of its time: last year Bad Bunny topped the US Billboard chart with an album in Spanish.

The video? Simply her best music video in years.

Iconic. I can tell you the toe licking thing was everywhere in Latin countries when it was released hahaha.

The live performances? Well, I'll never forget this JOY in her doing it live with him:

And the results? Far from being a huge success of course, but decent in streams. The song is now at 67M on Spotify and it's her 2nd most streamed song of the 10s after "Bitch I'm Madonna" (89M). Not that decent in proper charts: #87 in the UK and didn't enter the Billboard Hot 100 (but another US #1 Dance hit, of course).

One, two... cha cha CHA!

I remember when I heard it for the first time… I smile. I felt happy. I felt shiny and new!

I love her third verse so much, “I built a cartel just for love”. Some consider that kinda tone deaf given the city the song is named after. But I think, M was trying to convey just how badly she wanted to share her love with her lover. 

On 4/12/2023 at 12:43 AM, xavier said:

Love Medellin 

lately, GGW Justin cognito remix 

That remix is fire. 

7 hours ago, Shoful said:

A couple of my friends, who aren’t Madonna fans whatsoever, have texted me throughout the years randomly saying how much of a bop Medellin is

I think that it is "sliky smooth, lips sweet as candy".  

12 hours ago, gafuller said:

I remember when I heard it for the first time… I smile. I felt happy. I felt shiny and new!

I love her third verse so much, “I built a cartel just for love”. Some consider that kinda tone deaf given the city the song is named after. But I think, M was trying to convey just how badly she wanted to share her love with her lover. 

It was clever and poetic.