Medellín is my guilty pleasure today!

Sultrysully

On 4/12/2023 at 9:44 PM, LongIslandTea said:

Weak single.

Nah....  Madame X is brilliant .  Medellin was a great lead single.  It sets the tone for the entire rest of the world music infused album.  For me, it is in her top three albums and Medellin is the best lead single since Hung Up.  

2 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

Nah....  Madame X is brilliant .  Medellin was a great lead single.  It sets the tone for the entire rest of the world music infused album.  For me, it is in her top three albums and Medellin is the best lead single since Hung Up.  

Good for you.

But to me, it's still one of her weak singles.

3 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

I love Medellín, it's one of my favourites. Love the DJLW & John Christian mix too. The A-side of Madame X - Medellín, Dark Ballet, God Control is just sublime. 

4 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

For me to, if Madonna had sung the title line of 4 minutes instead of Justin maybe then not so, but since she didn’t I have the same opinion as you. 

16 hours ago, Pedro Beltran said:

For me to, if Madonna had sung the title line of 4 minutes instead of Justin maybe then not so, but since she didn’t I have the same opinion as you. 

That is an interesting idea.  I never really thought if it that way.  Very insightful actually.  4 Minutes was an adjustment for me.  I liked it from first listen but it always felt a bit like a hijacked Madonna song.  

21 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I never liked this song. It did grow on me a bit but probably only because it’s Madonna though.

The Offer Nissam in the Sphincter remix is the best version, that made me enjoy the song more. If she has to perform it again Id enjoy that version.

The remixes were a nice add but many of them have Maluma singing too fast.  I understand that they tried to speed it up for the dancefloor but it feels like his vocals are faster than Madonna's.  Obviously, he us singing more words in his bits but it is hard to sing along when it is sped up.  Same thing with the Levitating remix that included Madonna.  The lyrics feel too fast.  

How I know that I hate a Madonna song? When her parts are the ones that I enjoy the least. The writing on this song, in particular the verses are painfully forced. Her contribution to this song absolutely does not work. It’s not catchy and very very cheesy. The beat is a very amateurish attempt at a reggaeton beat.

Listening to this song the first time was a painful experience. It was even worse than my expectations and they were already pretty low.

On 4/12/2023 at 3:02 AM, RUADJAI said:

I think the fact that the actual chorus is held off till the halfway point is both an extra special climax and maybe a hindrance. A lot of people probably consider the “Vencomigo , let’s take a trip” as the chorus and in that context it sounds weak. But if you look at it as the pre chorus, and the actual chorus is “Si te enamoro (si me enamoras)” it’s much more impactful. 

There’s a certain tension that is released when they finally sing this part and it’s so beautiful. 

Agree. I think it’s the best song on Madame X. I love her unconventional stuff.

22 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I never liked this song. It did grow on me a bit but probably only because it’s Madonna though.

The Offer Nissam in the Sphincter remix is the best version, that made me enjoy the song more. If she has to perform it again Id enjoy that version.

I don't hate the song, but I remember when hearing it for the first time, it was quite underwhelming to me.  I am not fond of the vocal effect she has on her voice either.  The song has grown on me since, and I agree the remixes allowed me to like the song even more, especially the Offer Nissam mixes. 

I did have a delusional moment regarding this becoming at least a minor hit for her.  I thought how the "cha cha cha" parts were going viral on social media with many making videos to it, that it was going to help that song gain some traction in becoming a top 40 hit.  Unfortunately, radio airplay plays a huge part in chart success still.