Sam Smith covers “Human Nature”

Brendanlovesu1

5 hours ago, teammadonna said:

Some people's reaction is TRULY disgusting. That's exactly the same TRULY disgusting reaction from disgusting haters to Queen Madonna has had when she was fat. Looking at these TRULY disgusting reactions from trolls towards talented fat people, you don't know how fortunate Madonna is to be back in slim shape thanks to her TRULY famous popcorn diet.

IM CHOKING :Madonna009:

I TRULY would like the see what the critics on here TRULY look like. I TRULY hope Madonna performs this TRULY beautiful rendition on the TRULY phenomenal Celebration Tour. Madame X is TRULY A TRULY fantastic album. I TRULY love how Sam and Kim are TRULY supporting Madonna and she TRULY is in return. TRULY AMAZINGLY TRUE

(I’m sorry I couldn’t help myself :Madonna009:. None of this is sarcastic btw if you remove the word Truly😅 it reads how I actually would say)

7 hours ago, adirondak said:

There is literally not one negative comment in this thread about Sam Smith’s body, which means that you’re ascribing any negative comment about his concert presentation to his body in your own head, which kind of makes YOU the fatphobic one. 

This is bald faced lie. There are literally people using GIFS with vomiting and saying things like “oh dear,” drag queen GIFS pulling judgemental faces etc. No one has directly fat shamed him but read between the lines. They are not comfortable with what they saw.

And on Twitter I have seen truly vile comments about him from both gay and straight people.

7 hours ago, adirondak said:

There is every kind of body shape possible on social media. If you’re only seeing a certain standard of body shape on your social media, it’s because that’s what you’re seeking out. And that’s fine, it’s - human nature. 

Regardless the pressure for gay men to be gym fit and fit a certain beauty standard is enormous. That is why Sam is a very powerful role model.

1 hour ago, thegoldencalf said:

If this performance was properly executed it would be cool. But Sam Smith is a singer not a visual artist. 

He’s both now. The fact some people won’t accept him as the latter is because his performances make them feel uncomfortable. So they have to dismiss it as “not him.” It is clearly him and how he chooses to express himself as an artist now.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

This is bald faced lie. There are literally people using GIFS with vomiting and saying things like “oh dear,” drag queen GIFS pulling judgemental faces etc. No one has directly fat shamed him but read between the lines. They are not comfortable with what they saw.

And on Twitter I have seen truly vile comments about him from both gay and straight people.

Lol If you're referring to my comment "oh dear" , I would like to clarify I didn't mean to be disgusted by their body (perhaps English is not my native language or you misunderstood). I just don't like the way they executed the performance. Human Nature is an iconic song. They needed to try harder. BTW this is coming from a straight woman. I don't care whether someone's gay, queer, fat or slim. This performance is lousy imho :) 

Edited by pawn_shop_blues (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, pawn_shop_blues said:

Lol If you're referring to my comment "oh dear" , I would like to clarify I didn't mean to be disgusted by their body (perhaps English is not my native language or you misunderstood). I just don't like the way they executed the performance. Human Nature is an iconic song. They needed to try harder. BTW this is coming from a straight woman. I don't care whether someone's gay, queer, fat or slim. This performance is lousy imho :) 

Ok well maybe you didn’t mean that but the point still stands

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Regardless the pressure for gay men to be gym fit and fit a certain beauty standard is enormous. That is why Sam is a very powerful role model.

Sam wanted to provoke and not to please - respect - and gets the expected reactions for it. Artistically, it is certainly interesting, but it is up to each person whether one chooses him as a "powerful role model" - or rather not.

10 hours ago, teammadonna said:

Some people's reaction is TRULY disgusting. That's exactly the same TRULY disgusting reaction from disgusting haters to Queen Madonna has had when she was fat. Looking at these TRULY disgusting reactions from trolls towards talented fat people, you don't know how fortunate Madonna is to be back in slim shape thanks to her TRULY famous popcorn diet.

Uhm, I don't remember Madonna being fat. Ever.
She was a bit... cuddly for a while, but I love that figure. Just like Dolly Parton and many, many other women, Madonna looks amazing with a few extra pounds on her. TRULY!

10 hours ago, Mmmhum said:

I think Sam looks sexy ! I like that kind of body !

Everybody's someones type. :) And thank heavens for that! It gives us curvey guys some hope. :)

1 hour ago, Levon said:

Sam wanted to provoke and not to please - respect - and gets the expected reactions for it. Artistically, it is certainly interesting, but it is up to each person whether one chooses him as a "powerful role model" - or rather not.

Sure. Hence why I said that as that’s how I feel about him.

Many many people think Madonna is a terrible person , an embarrassment, a bad role model etc or they say they just do not like her.

Any thoughts on why that is?

5 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Many many people think Madonna is a terrible person , an embarrassment, a bad role model etc or they say they just do not like her.

There are different ways artists inspire their audiences. Some do it by simply wanting to convey good feelings, and others want to stimulate thought - either indirectly or sometimes right in the face. The audience can choose for themselves what they feel more attracted to and what they don't feel attracted to.

Personally, I don't like his performance, but Sam is young and testing his limits, that's fine. Madonna is actually doing the same sometimes. That many of these actions are not liked is part of the concept - and that much of it provokes harsh reactions as well. And it's okay to express that this or that performance or appearance is just awful.

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Anyone that doesn't fit into the cookie cutter will make people uncomfortable. 

Not trying to start anything but I will be honest

Sam's whole attitude during lockdown really made me dislike them. They have entitled written all over and I don't see anything they do as empowering but rather self indulgent. I feel like something about the way they reacted during that time really opened my eyes to who they are. I know celebs gaff quite a bit, even M did during that time, but there is something about Sam I really don't like, the attitude that isn't overly obvious but pops out here and there. 

In saying that, if this performance gives you a good feeling and makes you feel empowered than that's awesome. 

He’s both now. The fact some people won’t accept him as the latter is because his performances make them feel uncomfortable. So they have to dismiss it as “not him.” It is clearly him and how he chooses to express himself as an artist now.

Apparently these days it’s enough to say you’re something and people actually buy it. 
And if so, how come Madonna is not held up to the same low bar?

For the record Sam prefers they/them pronouns, that's how they identify, though have said they won't get angry if you use he/him.

I think if you're going to address who Sam Smith is at least respect how they identify. 

• Jackie locked this topic