Thief of Hearts in Truth Or Dare

fauxswan

10 minutes ago, androiduser said:

never noticed this... is there a story behind this? How would they have the song back then? Or was it edited in 1992 for subsequent releases?

That's what I'm wondering myself. It's just an ever so brief snippet, literally about 2 seconds. It honestly sounds like the demo version to me but I'm not quite sure.

23 minutes ago, Joan Rivers said:

That's what I'm wondering myself. It's just an ever so brief snippet, literally about 2 seconds. It honestly sounds like the demo version to me but I'm not quite sure.

It's totally unusual, I can't imagine she was working on new music back then, this was spring 1990, and with the tour rehearsals and everything it would need to be a track made in late 1989 or very early 1990. Could it be some house track that was sampled?

@diegolcl said it was dubbed... but again, how would they have the song in 1991 when the movie came out, she wasn't working on Erotica yet? Or was Thief of Hearts one of the first tracks she was working on, so it coexisted with the editing of Truth or Dare?

Thief of Hears has been registered in the copyright catalog on Feb 11 1992, and listed as created in 1991, but I would assume after Truth or Dare came out?

I checked the song credits for the Truth or Dare , Thief of Hearts is not listed.

So I watched that particular moment over and over, and while I heard a beat kick in for a split couple seconds, that isn't Thief of Hearts.  In fact, it literally could be anything, and I am assuming it's actually what was playing in the background in the arena at the time she came backstage. For those who are curious, it's the scene right when she walks backstage (in Toronto) and her brother is about to tell her the police are there threatening to arrest her. 

39 minutes ago, Drum Dub said:

Hi, I think this was discussed in the past. That snippet in the movie probably is from this 91 Shep mix for Paula. Later he used this concept for the Rain tapes "Old Music" demo for Thief Of Hearts. This is very noticeable at the begining and from 4:48 onwards.:

Oh it does sound very much like thia as well, and I see how it resembles Theif of Heart.  I believe this was a 1990 mix though as it was released then.  :)

16 hours ago, androiduser said:

never noticed this... is there a story behind this? How would they have the song back then? Or was it edited in 1992 for subsequent releases?

No. I bought the VHS when it was released, and it played the same snippet.

I even think they showed this clip in some documentary on MTV when the movie was peomoted.
Maybe in Dinner With Madonna..?

16 hours ago, Drum Dub said:

Hi, I think this was discussed in the past. That snippet in the movie probably is from this 91 Shep mix for Paula. Later he used this concept for the Rain tapes "Old Music" demo for Thief Of Hearts. This is very noticeable at the begining and from 4:48 onwards.:

Makes sense. It's not out of the ordinary for Shep to re-use elements from his mixes for other songs, like how the remix for Janet Jackson's "Miss You Much" ended up becoming the musical bed for Madonna's "Vogue," albiet in an altered form.

16 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Shut Up and Dance was THE Cassette to have. I wonder if that's why the Immaculate Collection was remixed the way that it was.  🤯

Omg, yes!

The summer of 1990 (I was 12) two cassettes never left my Walkman.

I’m Breathless and Shut Up and Dance.

Such a great remix album!

17 hours ago, Drum Dub said:

THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION TO ME!!! Thank you!!!

I knew about Miss You Much and Vogue. But not this until today. I LOVE M's vocals/ lyrics on TOH but the production was never my favorite. I thought it sounded a liiiitle dated at the time. And now this makes more sense. I hope we get a clean acapella of it one day so I can hear some insane mixes for it.