Immaculate Collection in Dolby Atmos!

RUADJAI

Lucky Star was the best mix made by Pettibone/Shimkin/Hotoda on IC (along Vogue). I remember Reggie Lucas saying in a later interview that Madonna did not want a guitar on Lucky Star because she had a beef with a guitarist on stage once blah blah blah, Pettibone/Shimkin/Hotoda made the guitar more prominent in their mix so maybe that's why she does not like it. Shame.

What i've always hated on IC is the best part of Cherish (the vocal break with the background singers) was cut making the song bland  and not worthy anymore of being on IC

30 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

What i've always hated on IC is the best part of Cherish (the vocal break with the background singers) was cut making the song bland  and not worthy anymore of being on IC

My god, YES. I can't fathom why would they butcher the best part of the song, the final edit is so rushed it doesn't even make sense.

And I also hate how they cut OYH short at the end, there was no need for that.

But I've never had a problem with the omissions on IC. They were right on choosing the ones that would stand the test of time.

This is whole release is weird, listening to the backing tracks most of those indeed using stems and are done properly, but like 1/3 of the album (Lucky Star, Borderline, Into the Groove, LAP, Vogue) seems to be just playing around with the whole tracks, not significantly separating anything, like they didn’t have the source material. Messy…

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

Yep, but maybe they don't have the stems for them, only the final mixed master tapes?

I don't think so. It's been almost 15 years with the wrong versions on streaming. Like it or not (I don't like it) this is how Madonna (or Warner) wants The Immaculate Collection, with the original Borderline and Lucky Star (IC versions) erased on streaming. 

19 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I don't think so. It's been almost 15 years with the wrong versions on streaming. Like it or not (I don't like it) this is how Madonna (or Warner) wants The Immaculate Collection, with the original Borderline and Lucky Star (IC versions) erased on streaming. 

But it is possible that something happened with the original "Immaculate" multitracks of "Lucky Star" and "Borderline", or even with the final master tapes, in my opinion?

I mean, not only we had the wrong versions on the "Immaculate" digital album since day 1, but also in 2009 plenty of "Immaculate" mixes were used in "Celebration", but only those two were alternate Q-Sound mixes and not the originals. That can't be just a coincidence?

Who knows. It is what it is, anyway. I don't even mind that much having the US Mix and the Album Version, to be honest!

44 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I mean, not only we had the wrong versions on the "Immaculate" digital album since day 1, but also in 2009 plenty of "Immaculate" mixes were used in "Celebration", but only those two were alternate Q-Sound mixes and not the originals. That can't be just a coincidence?

With Celebration, a regular 44100 Hz 16-bit wav file would have been enough. And they were available on the original TIC CD. With the Dolby Atmos is another story. They need the original stems...

We'll never know the real reason to change Borderline and Lucky Star.

9 hours ago, Harry X said:

I don't have Dolby Atmos ear/headphones but I found a way to listen some of it on VLC by just changing the audio into stereo. XD

Does the drums sound like synth effects most of the time?

I have VLC, but how would one go about doing this since the files are only streaming?  And how do you change the audio to stereo in VLC?

10 minutes ago, SalvoPK said:

now on Spotify all the songs in it have a new canvas promoting TIC, except lucky star and borderline :eyes:

Thanks for the finding! True, most them have an official TIC canvas except for those two and "Like A Virgin", "Vogue" and some others.

Gotta say that this new official love, care and attention for "The Immaculate Collection", after being neglected for years in favor of the much inferior "Celebration" compilation feels RIGHT.

Iconic.

9 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Thanks for the finding! True, most them have an official TIC canvas except for those two and "Like A Virgin", "Vogue" and some others.

Gotta say that this new official love, care and attention for "The Immaculate Collection", after being neglected for years in favor of the much inferior "Celebration" compilation feels RIGHT.

Iconic.

yeah but at this point or they're trolling us excluding only those two or they're fixing it... LS+B OGs have their own canvas, like LAV or Vogue as you said, but the versions on TIC not...

It's really strange what they did with La Isla Bonita. This new Dobly Atmos mix has no percussion at all. Why would they remove the iconic castanets and conga that made the song? Like they gave Mike Dean a stem pack with no percussion track and he didn't even notice...
The guitars are more prominent in this mix too.

I went back to my Immaculate CDRip to check, and the original TIC mix of LIB has the percussion on pretty loud.

41 minutes ago, tscott said:

I have VLC, but how would one go about doing this since the files are only streaming?  And how do you change the audio to stereo in VLC?

Idk. I found the mp3 files here from Sharemania. On the Audio tab on VLC there's an option to change from headphones or whatever to Stereo and it does a pretty good job but I had to change that setting each time.

21 minutes ago, fmportela said:

It's really strange what they did with La Isla Bonita. This new Dobly Atmos mix has no percussion at all. Why would they remove the iconic castanets and conga that made the song? Like they gave Mike Dean a stem pack with no percussion track and he didn't even notice...
The guitars are more prominent in this mix too.

I went back to my Immaculate CDRip to check, and the original TIC mix of LIB has the percussion on pretty loud.

You're right.  The percussion is missing. Wow!  I would think that Madonna would prefer the percussion to be part of it, being it gives it a more latin flavor.  I'm so mixed on all these changes because for some songs, it sounds good, but others it sounds so different or odd.  I also feel like Live To Tell has lost its vocal flow (sounding almost flat or monotone) and notice the final words of some of the verses, they strangely repeat.  Her vocals don't seem to be blended in as well as the original. 

10 minutes ago, tscott said:

You're right.  The percussion is missing. Wow!  I would think that Madonna would prefer the percussion to be part of it, being it gives it a more latin flavor.  I'm so mixed on all these changes because for some songs, it sounds good, but others it sounds so different or odd.  I also feel like Live To Tell has lost its vocal flow (sounding almost flat or monotone) and notice the final words of some of the verses, they strangely repeat.  Her vocals don't seem to be blended in as well as the original. 

I don't think Madonna is personally aware of any of these mixing mistakes. To me it sounds like the person doing the mixing is not really familiar with the songs in their original form, in this case, the TIC remixes.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:10 AM, fmportela said:

I don't think Madonna is personally aware of any of these mixing mistakes. To me it sounds like the person doing the mixing is not really familiar with the songs in their original form, in this case, the TIC remixes.

Mike Dean mixed this.  I'd think he would be a bit more familiar with her music being he's been working for her for many years now. I can't imagine she would let him do this without her input as well.  Whatever the case, it's unfortunate because I think this is far more messy than not.

1 hour ago, SalvoPK said:

yeah but at this point or they're trolling us excluding only those two or they're fixing it... LS+B OGs have their own canvas, like LAV or Vogue as you said, but the versions on TIC not...

The ones that already had canvas with the clips from their respective music videos, like "LAV", "Express Yourself" or "Vogue" is because they were added before for some of her biggest song on Spotify, I think around the "Madame X" release in 2019. Some of them like "LAV" or "Vogue" share albums with "Celebration".

Then the new "TIC" artwork canvas added now is for all the other tracks except for "Lucky Star" and "Borderline". My guess is that they share albums with "Madonna", so they can't put a TIC canvas on those. So maybe they'll add the clips from their own music videos too, eventually.

Edit: Spotify canvas are manually added by the label or the artist/team, it's not a Spotify created thing.

8 minutes ago, Prayer said:

The ones that already had canvas with the clips from their respective music videos, like "LAV", "Express Yourself" or "Vogue" is because they were added before for some of her biggest song on Spotify, I think around the "Madame X" release time. Then the new "TIC" artwork canvas added now is for all the other tracks except for "Lucky Star" and "Borderline". My guess is that they share album with "Madonna", so they can't put a TIC canvas on those. So maybe they'll add the clips from their own music videos too, eventually.

Do you only see the Canvas when using a mobile device?  I ask because I am using Desktop right now and am trying to check out how to see the canvases you guys are chatting about.