VULGAR

deathproof

This is great. More of a statement vignette than a song, a confrontational piece which, given where Sam's career is now, makes total sense. Madonna being part of it is a no brainer and elevates the whole thing.

(Now, shall we pray that  "split your banana" makes into some trend on TikTok for them kids to share it).

36 minutes ago, Inco said:

Fortunately this song is short  ...Popular is better. Just my opinion. 

Do you mean "unfortunately".  I agree with you that 'Popular is better', but I want to hear more.  He's managed to bring out something sweet in her voice while Sam's collab is something naughty.  I love it all, but bring me more of that sugar Madonna.  Right now you are teasing us with "Sugar and Spice". 

4 hours ago, tscott said:

I agree why are people fixated on pronouns?  Not sure where I went wrong in my post, but nothing I said was judgmental.  Seems like for the past hour or two, you've went on a huge rant about some things that have NOTHING to do with this thread.

Like @Aiwa08pointed out, I'm here for the music, Madonna and her collaboration with Sam. Not argue about pronouns.  Have a problem with that?  Tough.  I'm being brave, speaking up, standing for what I stand for.  Sound familiar?  :smokey:

Sorry you thought I didn't agree. I do.

"Say our fucking names" is a stand in the gender identity>pronoun>deadname issue. 

Maybe in 10 years, we will use the adjective "vulgar" to talk about gender identity matters just like discrimination issues are called "woke" nowadays after Erykah Badu sang "I stay woke" in her song Master Teacher (in "New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)", 2008). It's a song about keeping aware of injustice.

Anyway, I always come back to the fact that some languages don't have gendered pronouns. This doesn't keep people who speak these languages from being misogynists or, the way round, more tolerant with gender affirmation. So, to me, pronoun wars are just bullshit.

In the end, someone will always think that being "free", "sexy" and "yourself" is "vulgar".

So let's just sing and dance and be happy about it.

11 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Sorry you thought I didn't agree. I do.

"Say our fucking names" is a stand in the gender identity>pronoun>deadname issue. 

Maybe in 10 years, we will use the adjective "vulgar" to talk about gender identity matters just like discrimination issues are called "woke" nowadays after Erykah Badu sang "I stay woke" in her song Master Teacher (in "New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)", 2008). It's a song about keeping aware of injustice.

Anyway, I always come back to the fact that some languages don't have gendered pronouns. This doesn't keep people who speak these languages from being misogynists or, on the way round, more tolerant with gender affirmation.

In the end, someone will always think that being "free", "sexy" and "yourself" is "vulgar".

So let's just sing and dance and be happy about it.

Yeah sorry, I think we just got our wires cross.  I was a bit baffled by your response, and I thought you were referring to me.  I'm as tolerant as one can get.  Still, I just can't around calling a singular person "they", "their".  In no way, am I being disrespectful, but if I was to be honest, this whole pronoun debate is just getting ridiculously out of hand.  But again, I'm not here to have a debate about it.  Nor do I feel we need people coming in policing what others say, correcting them with the right terminology.  Unfortunately, some of us older fans will need a bit more time to wrap our heads around to referring to a singular person as "they", Their".  And as I stated,  up until this topic came up, I never knew Sam wanted to be referred  as "they".  I appreciate being schooled on it, but it doesn't mean I am going to use that terminology so easily. :)

1 hour ago, PlayPause said:

I can be the hardcorest fan without spending a dime on it. Owning things doesn't make anyone better at anything, it just makes them a collector.

Artists are supposed to get paid from your fandom. If you don’t purchase their art or stream it’s like stealing. You’re not a true fan of someone you steal from.

5 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Artists are supposed to get paid from your fandom. If you don’t purchase their art or stream it’s like stealing. You’re not a true fan of someone you steal from.

"Fan" has so many meanings that of course hardcore collectors as much as avid readers and listeners count. To me being a fan is a matter of personal investment with the artist's work. So many ways of living and feeling it.

As for stealing, as a someone who works in the music industry, of course I know it's a big part of what's this is about. No money, no nothing. Streaming is hardly a solution in the end for so many artists. (M is too rich to be an example about that.)

Art can't be reduced to its financial or business value though. Fans are being managed like marketing targets and we get used to it...

Ok I fuck with this.

It's got some bite even if it's extra as fuck. I like her motherly instincts on this. 

Mother is mothering or whatever the young cigs say. 

Vintage queens getting miss sweet pussy pauline flashbacks and I'm here for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-PPc-a8I0U

7 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Ok I fuck with this.

It's got some bite even if it's extra as fuck. I like her motherly instincts on this. 

Mother is mothering or whatever the young cigs say. 

Vintage queens getting miss sweet pussy pauline flashbacks and I'm here for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-PPc-a8I0U

They absolutely don't care if it leaks, it's a very viral thing I guess and the Mother Madonna vibe is soooooooooooo 2023.

37 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

To get a CD from a store without paying is stealing. Recording a CD in another CD-R is copying. And copying a CD does not mean one less sale.

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic