What Madonna's album seems her most honest for you?

livethelife

What Madonna's album seems her most honest for you?  

62 members voted

1. 1. What Madonna's album seems her most honest for you?

• Madonna
    • Like a Virgin
    • True Blue
    • Like a Prayer
    • Erotica
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Confessions on a Dance Floor
    • Hard Candy
    • MDNA
    • Rebel Heart
    • Madame X

In Rebel Heart we get her unapologetic thoughts on:

Her current status - BIM

Her past - VVV, RH

Her plausible future - WAOM, Ghosttown

Her relationship failings - UB , HC

The public - JOA

Dugs - DP

Conspiracy Theories - Illuminati 

Persevering - LFL, Iconic

And Wierdonna is well represented in HW, BS, Messiah and S.E.X

If I were to pick an album which is quintessentially ‘Madonna’ it would be Rebel Heart. 

I don´t understand quite well what does that mean that an album is honest. But if we are understanding she did what she wanted mainly withouting trying to sell out on a record, or that she spoke more her inner thoughts than in others, I think COADF is one of her less honests, so Hard Candy is, cause I think she did those albums to recover audience mainly, even If i think they are very good both, at their own styles.

But maybe LAP? ROL? American Life? I think in those 3 she revelealed a lot about her personal world, each one at their respective moments.

Well Madonna often writes songs from the perspectives of other people or made up characters. So I guess Like a Prayer is the only one that is truly her story. Followed by Ray of Light. But she even admitted that album was not completely autobiographical. So I don’t think honesty is necessary the mark of great artistry. It’s often story telling too, things don’t have to be literal or true to life to be a true expression from the artist.

14 hours ago, Mden said:

In Rebel Heart we get her unapologetic thoughts on:

Her current status - BIM

Her past - VVV, RH

Her plausible future - WAOM, Ghosttown

Her relationship failings - UB , HC

The public - JOA

Dugs - DP

Conspiracy Theories - Illuminati 

Persevering - LFL, Iconic

And Wierdonna is well represented in HW, BS, Messiah and S.E.X

If I were to pick an album which is quintessentially ‘Madonna’ it would be Rebel Heart. 

My favorites from Rebel Heart:

Ghosttown

Sex

Messiah 

Joan of Arc 

Beyond Thunderdome 

Living for Love

Beautiful Scars

Thinking again I noticed really MDNA, the brutalised album here,  had very personal lyrics about her breaking up with Guy Ritchie: Love spent, best friend, I fucked up and many more. There she was telling her story. Maybe MDNA is her most honest and brutal album to the date.

23 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

Thinking again I noticed really MDNA, the brutalised album here,  had very personal lyrics about her breaking up with Guy Ritchie: Love spent, best friend, I fucked up and many more. There she was telling her story. Maybe MDNA is her most honest and brutal album to the date.

MDNA was confessions on a dance floor. 

34 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Absolutely not. Confessions was an amazing disco retro album, but there is nothing personal there except maybe How High. 

I was not commenting on Confessions on a Dance Floor the album. I was saying MDNA was a confessional album. ( as in -MDNA is truly her confessing her sorrows on the dance floor).

7 minutes ago, Mden said:

I was not commenting on Confessions on a Dance Floor the album. I was saying MDNA was a confessional album. ( as in -MDNA is truly her confessing her sorrows on the dance floor).

Oh. I'm sorry. I have misunderstood you. :speakno: 

Then I've totally agree with you. Please, forgive my mistake (english is not my first language)

I agree many of her albums offers a glimpse of her life.  I do think ROL and American Life are probably her most reflective and possibly introspective albums.  ROL seems to be more of a spiritual awakening. The birth of her daughter helped her realize what really is import in life.  Of course, over time, that wears off and you might find yourself grasping for how things were in the past.  She knows she was very self absorbed before having children, but that isn't always a bad thing since she's put that energy into her career. American Life seemed to be an album which she was exploring someone who was questioning their choices.  She started a family and was married, and realized all the fame, money and glory meant nothing without the love of her family.  She explored that with ROL as well.  But with ROL, it was more of an uplifting spiritual awakening, while American Life was more of an "in your face" wake up call. 

LAP and MDNA definitely explore some of her tumultuous spousal  experiences. Those probably are far more open for interpretation and can be relatable as well to a lot of people.  To me, LAP is probably her first attempt to being artistic and more mature, but she then had several years after where she was being as bad as she wanted to be.  I don't fault her on that, because we all have those rebellious periods in our lives, especially if we are single and trying live it up.  Then we have those who get older who either just whither away and accept what is, while others keep bucking the system and still say what's on our mind.  Madonna seems to be doing a lot of the latter these days. A bit of a fully circle to how she started in her career, but with more experience and more willing to tackle on issues she wasn't willing to do so in the past.