Which STUDIO album do you feel will be most celebrated after she passes?

McDonna

Most Iconic Madonna STUDIO Album?  

103 members voted

1. 1. Which Studio album do you believe will be mostly remembered from Madonna?

• Madonna
    • LIke A Virgin
    • True Blue
    • Like A Prayer
    • I'm Breathless (please explain?)
    • Erotica
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Confessions On A Dancefloor
    • Hard Candy
    • MDNA
    • Rebel Heart
    • Madame X

12 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

I would have chosen The Immaculate Collection had it been an option.  I went for Like a Virgin as it contains more general public hits than Like a Prayer.  Personally, it is my least favorite of all of the albums (although I still like it) but it is her Thriller or Purple Rain.  I do think that the Immaculate Collection would be the most played if she were to pass.  The GP loved that first decade so much.  

I definitely agree Immaculate Collection will most likely be highly regarded in her legacy.  Though, I didn't add it because I was curious what people thought would be highly regarded among her studio albums.  There most definitely will be a studio album people will play or buy more of when she passes too.  I suspect those who mentioned LAP, ROL or True Blue are correct as those are considered the Holy Trinity.  I personally would think LAP or ROL has a good chance of being the high roller here.

Even when recently departed, our lady would HATE to be predictable, so I forecast that ALL Madonna music will be cancelled on streaming except for a brand new compilation album of superlative greatest hits, as especially curated by the lady Herself available to pre-order on Candy swirl vinyl and then rainbow vinyl a year after that and then virgin-white a year after that.

Track List

Get into the Candy Shop (Human nature mix)

Human Nature (Candy shop mix)

Burning up (I'm NOT sorry mix)

Vogue (the not the original mix)

Like a Prayer Medley (Candy Shop/ Human Nature/ Burning Up with excerpts of Express your Prayer)

Candy Bonita

A duet with Harry Styles.

Holigay (the Burning up mix)

Frozen (Sam Smith vs Human Nature vs Candy Shop mix)

La Vie En Rose (I'm not your bitch remix)

Bitch I'm Madonna  (Nobody Fux with the Queen remix)

Human Candy

Celebration (Sick-Candy-SamSmith vs Bob the drag racer remix)

She's Not me (Not resting but disturbing the peace re-mix) featuring Ed Sheeran

Angel (Like a Candy Shop remix)

Place your bets, now, ladeez.

9 hours ago, Honey Little said:

It’s not a joke. I think it has all the iconic features and sexual and campy humor and amazing vocals that makes Madonna, Madonna. Ray of Light was a tiny chapter and sounds very dated. 

Imagine thinking I’m Breathless was more iconic/timeless/influential than RAY OF LIGHT. Which is literally one of her most critically acclaimed and considered one of THE most influential albums of ALL TIME.

1 hour ago, MPowered said:

Imagine thinking I’m Breathless was more iconic/timeless/influential than RAY OF LIGHT. Which is literally one of her most critically acclaimed and considered one of THE most influential albums of ALL TIME.

Don’t take out your handkerchiefs I don’t wanna cry, I just want a Hanky Panky guy.

I grew up on it/remember when it was one of her only albums and it’s very personally close to me but I can see how the over the years fans may see it as a novelty. That’s kind of the appeal to me.

Also interesting to note that in Prince circles his soundtrack album is generally praised. 

2 hours ago, MPowered said:

I’m Breathless is good but it’s a soundtrack not an album.

it'll be the album that best represents her themes and brand most succinctly:

• Female Expression
  • Dismantling the patriarchy
  • Mixing sexual & religious themes
  • Brutal honesty and soul bearing
  • The personal losses that affected her
  • The ones that give a deeper understanding of drove her to be a star.
  • Her ability to craft a simple joyful pop tune
  • A willingness to change by making an artistic turn I'm favour of a commercial appeal.
  • The ability to show multiple sides of herself and poke fun at herself.

There's only one answer

Like A Prayer

Ray Of Light couldn't exist without Like A Prayer really, and in truth it's not THAT deep. When you strip away the production the bones of the songs and not as strong in truth.

She rejects fame, has a spiritual awakening, becomes a mom, misses her mom.

The weight of everything happening on Like A Prayer and the themes it explored including not just in the music but the videos and the era, Female Empowerment, Misogyny, Institutional Racism, Divorce, Spousal Abuse, Grief, Childhood, Love, Family, Personal Reinvention, Hope,  Her corporate power considering how the Pepsi deal went. The only incidental song on Like A Prayer is Spanish Eyes. It's brilliant but It just doesn't fit the theme at all. Everything else makes sense. 

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

The weight of everything happening on Like A Prayer and the themes it explored including not just in the music but the videos and the era, Female Empowerment, Misogyny, Institutional Racism, Divorce, Spousal Abuse, Grief, Childhood, Love, Family, Personal Reinvention, Hope,  Her corporate power considering how the Pepsi deal went.

You forgot blowjobs. 

you can almost see the new anchors report in your head eh?

80's Female Ambition & Empowerment: Material Girl / Express Yourself 

Queer ally & Icon : Vogue

Sex / Religion / Politics / Controversy: Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer, Papa Don't Preach, Justify My Love, Erotica, American Life

Film Star: Into The Groove / Don't Cry For Me Argentina

Reinvention& Motherhood : Ray Of Light

Long career: Don't Tell Me / Hung Up

Closing Shot : Human Nature "Absolutely No Regrets"

4 hours ago, steady75 said:

it'll be the album that best represents her themes and brand most succinctly:

• Female Expression
  • Dismantling the patriarchy
  • Mixing sexual & religious themes
  • Brutal honesty and soul bearing
  • The personal losses that affected her
  • The ones that give a deeper understanding of drove her to be a star.
  • Her ability to craft a simple joyful pop tune
  • A willingness to change by making an artistic turn I'm favour of a commercial appeal.
  • The ability to show multiple sides of herself and poke fun at herself.

There's only one answer

Like A Prayer

Ray Of Light couldn't exist without Like A Prayer really, and in truth it's not THAT deep. When you strip away the production the bones of the songs and not as strong in truth.

She rejects fame, has a spiritual awakening, becomes a mom, misses her mom.

The weight of everything happening on Like A Prayer and the themes it explored including not just in the music but the videos and the era, Female Empowerment, Misogyny, Institutional Racism, Divorce, Spousal Abuse, Grief, Childhood, Love, Family, Personal Reinvention, Hope,  Her corporate power considering how the Pepsi deal went. The only incidental song on Like A Prayer is Spanish Eyes. It's brilliant but It just doesn't fit the theme at all. Everything else makes sense. 

ROL not as strong or deep? LOL 

Sorry but it's not. Drowned World: Boo hoo you're famous. How relatable. 

Candy Perfume Girl, Skin, Swim, Sky Fits Heaven, Shanti, To Have And Not To Hold, Ray Of Light

Honestly most of the lyrics on the songs R above are nothing more than vignettes and imagery, metaphors. What do any of those songs actually mean? It's not relatable and as universal as the stuff on Like A Prayer. D

Nothing Really Matters is the most accessible song with clear concise lyrics and of course Little Star.  The Power Of Goodbye Is somewhat simpler but again she veers into ornate language for imagery at the expense of the story telling. 

Frozen lyrics are actually a little bit simplistic Love Dove Glove. 

As I say it's the amalgamation of the romantic imagery and vignettes against the flawless stainless steel and silicone production that makes the album special. It's a little bit dreamlike with smoke, mirrors and  metaphors. 

Like A Prayer is much more who she is. Upfront, honest, raw and real.

I love that album and it was actually the reason why I became a fan, but I have to agree that "Ray Of Light" is not THAT personal but a total masterclass in narrative control and music curation on her part. Some songs like "Swim" or "Candy Perfume Girl" are totally un-Madonna, but they worked in the context of the album.

People loved the whole new, mom, mature, spiritual, changed woman image and she played it perfectly.

I always like to watch the interviews from that album and the evolution from early days (Fall 1997 and the first album interviews in January 1998) "I don't really know what to talk about, it's electronic hehe" to full spiritual new woman mode is... quite something:

She was smart enough to realize everyone was interested in "yoga", "spirituality", "mom" and went fully for it later:

Everyone loved that album cause it's the least Madonna album ever, so people actually gave it a chance and enjoyed it. One of the few moments (or the only moment?) in her career when it was universally cool to like her.

There I said it.

• McDonna changed the title to Which STUDIO album do you feel will be most celebrated after she passes?