Which STUDIO album do you feel will be most celebrated after she passes?

McDonna

Most Iconic Madonna STUDIO Album?  

103 members voted

1. 1. Which Studio album do you believe will be mostly remembered from Madonna?

• Madonna
    • LIke A Virgin
    • True Blue
    • Like A Prayer
    • I'm Breathless (please explain?)
    • Erotica
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Confessions On A Dancefloor
    • Hard Candy
    • MDNA
    • Rebel Heart
    • Madame X

1 hour ago, Drownedboy said:

LAP was a bit like a commercial let down after True Blue really, whereas ROL was a huge comeback after several years not being at the top, when the mtv screamers where doing amazing: houston, dion and carey.

Don't forget that LAP was considered a blasphemous album. Pope John Paul II encouraged people to boycott Madonna. And many "christians" obeyed that. Even my own grandmother forbade me to watch the Blond Ambition Tour on TV. She was very christian. Of course I didn't listen to my grandmother.

35 minutes ago, gafuller said:

I see a lot of people banking on Ray of Light as if it’s an album that’s heralded by the GP the way True Blue or LAP are. I’d dare say, it’s gonna be the Immaculate and Celebration and FEL that are shoved in our faces hahahaha. Vogue and Like A Prayer will be everywhere. And if there was an album that would be suddenly even more important than all that, it will prob be True Blue. Not a beat was missed with its five singles. Erotica, Ray of Light, Confessions will be mentioned heavily though I’m sure. 

Did you read my first post, and several replies sprinkled through?   Others and I specifically stated that Immaculate Collection will probably be the Greatest Hits Collection sought after the most, but again I stated "studio albums".  Which "Studio" album will be most sought out after?  Now go vote for True Blue if you haven't already because that was what was asked of you. :kiss2:

• McDonna changed the title to Which STUDIO album do you feel will be most celebrated after she passes?
5 minutes ago, tscott said:

Did you read my first post, and several replies sprinkled through?   Others and I specifically stated that Immaculate Collection will probably be the Greatest Hits Collection sought after the most, but again I stated "studio albums".  Which "Studio" album will be most sought out after?  Now go vote for True Blue if you haven't already because that was what was asked of you. :kiss2:

Girl, imma go do that! Lol I really did miss the poll on the front side. Sadly… deep down I may vote Like a Prayer. Despite everything I said, I legit think they will play Like a Prayer so much that the album itself will be elevated. A divorce album. Two landmark singles with LAP and EY. Excommunication. A duet with Prince. Imma vote for it instead of True Blue unfortunately. 

Just now, gafuller said:

Girl, imma go do that! Lol I really did miss the poll on the front side. Sadly… deep down I may vote Like a Prayer. Despite everything I said, I legit think they will play Like a Prayer so much that the album itself will be elevated. A divorce album. Two landmark singles with LAP and EY. Excommunication. A duet with Prince. Imma vote for it instead of True Blue unfortunately. 

The thing is, I believe multiple albums will probably see a huge rise when one passes, but there's always that one album that will see the most.  For many artists, a specific GH's always sees a boost, but then there are certain studio albums that do too.  I agree it's tough because in my mind I would think it's True Blue or Like A Prayer, but I don't think those albums are as remembered as much by the general public.  Ray of Light seems to be the one more recently people always references.  But maybe in time, her earlier albums will once again get some love and appreciation.

Just now, tscott said:

The thing is, I believe multiple albums will probably see a huge rise when one passes, but there's always that one album that will see the most.  For many artists, a specific GH's always sees a boost, but then there are certain studio albums that do too.  I agree it's tough because in my mind I would think it's True Blue or Like A Prayer, but I don't think those albums are as remembered as much by the general public.  Ray of Light seems to be the one more recently people always references.  But maybe in time, her earlier albums will once again get some love and appreciation.

That’s true. Time will tell. We are already seeing Erotica and American Life’s appreciation only in the last few years. M’s Team will do their best with anniversaries to prop up some of the newer albums as well. The stronger her catalogue is believed to be via articles and critics, the more the GP will their value and consume them too. Who knows how MDNA or Hard Candy will be viewed by their 20 year marks. 

24 minutes ago, tscott said:

I agree it's tough because in my mind I would think it's True Blue or Like A Prayer, but I don't think those albums are as remembered as much by the general public.  Ray of Light seems to be the one more recently people always references.  

In my opinion, True Blue is very well remembered by the general public, even more than Like A Prayer or ROL. True Blue has five worldwide hit singles (six if you count Where's The Party as promo single from You Can Dance). 

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

In my opinion, True Blue is very well remembered by the general public, even more than Like A Prayer or ROL. True Blue has five hit singles (six if you count Where's The Party as promo single from You Can Dance). 

You might be right. It's just I never hear much about the album except within the fan base.  Also, I don't think the GP much knows where those five singles come from other than 80's Madonna album.  Some forget they are all part of the same album.  Some don't know at all.  It's pretty hard for fans like us to comprehend that because we know every album and every song and where they come from.  :)

Just now, tscott said:

You might be right. It's just I never hear much about the album except within the fan base.  Also, I don't think the GP much knows where those five singles come from other than 80's Madonna album.  Some forget they are all part of the same album.  Some don't know at all.  It's pretty hard for fans like us to comprehend that because we know every album and every song and where they come from.  :)

In 1986/1987 her music was known all over the world, by fans and non-fans, specially her singles. Believe me, the general public knows very well True Blue and Like A Virgin albums (yes, I've said Virgin, not Prayer).  Another story is the young generation who didn't live in the 80/90 decade.

Anyway it just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

In 1986/1987 her music was known all over the world, by fans and non-fans, specially her singles. Believe me, the general public knows very well True Blue and Like A Virgin albums (yes, I've said Virgin, not Prayer).  Another story is the young generation who didn't live in the 80/90 decade.

Anyway it just my opinion.

Yes, back then what you say is correct, but these days not so much, other than the fans.  And I think unfortunately, as time goes on, those album won't be as remember among the GP as we fans remember them.  :)

Watch it be basic bitch Like A Virgin.

I'd say Immaculate would be an option if she'd had a career like most artists and then ebbed away. Most bands and artists have a one disc affair with the absolute essential. Even MJ, The Beatles, Prince, Whitney, Mariah, Elvis, The Bee Gees etc. 

ABBA GOLD was after the band had broken up so it really is a retrospective of all their career. Abba had had five official greatest hits before GOLD and look how many songs that we know weren't on ABBA GOLD that are massively well known songs of thiers.

• Ring Ring
  • Honey Honey
  • The Day Before You Came
  • Eagle
  • Head Over Heels
  • If It Wasn't For The Nights
  • When All Is Said And Done
  • The Way Old Friends Do
  • Our Last Summer
  • Like An Angel Passing Through My Room
  • I Do I Do I Do
  • Summer Night City
  • When I Kissed The Teacher
  • Angel Eyes
  • The Visitors
  • That's Me
  • Should I Laugh Or Cry
  • Slipping Through My Fingers
  • I Let The Music Speak

We probably haven't had the Definitive Madonna greatest hits yet but In terms of the General Public it's 

1. Holiday
  2. Borderline
  3. Like A Virgin
  4. Material Girl
  5. Crazy For You
  6. Into The Groove
  7. Papa Don't Preach
  8. Open Your Heart
  9. La Isla Bonita
  10. Like A Prayer
  11. Express Yourself
  12. Vogue
  13. Justify My Love
  14. Take A Bow
  15. Frozen
  16. Ray Of Light
  17. Music
  18. Hung Up
  19. 4 Minutes

4 Minutes is only there for its commercial streaming legs and TAB is only there because of the USA chart anomaly. Neither of those songs really represent Madonna. Something like Lucky Star or Don't Tell Me would be more appropriate but these things are always headline only songs. As big as it was Justify My Love would probably be swapped out for something like Don't Cry For Me Argentina. The last 15 years would be completely lopped off. 

We all know that the above list is missing soooooo much but these things cater to basic bitch central. 

Celebration seems to be the definitive collection right now and is the one getting most streams out of any of her others compilations. It ain't doing too bad at digital stores either, but Immaculate Collection still outsells.  Despite what fans feel about Celebration, regarding technical glitches and a few inclusions or omissions, most of the general public doesn't care about that.  That compilation does include her biggest hits and I can see people clinging to that one. 

On 5/29/2023 at 6:10 AM, Mden said:

I personally prefer her recent albums to her older ones , but the public would probably gravitate towards her 80s albums and Ray of Light . If I have to pick just one it would be True Blue. 

Actually the general public is gravitating toward the 80s albums and Confessions... despite all the rhetoric about ROL, the casual listeners prefer the "funny" Madona.

Yeah I also believe that Madonna's controversial figure will be mentioned everywhere but not really supported musically by the media. So people will be loving Like A Virgin and True Blue, her problem free eras. 

I do want her to leave behind a Black Star album like David Bowie did though. A record of death and confession with songs like Lament and Drowned World.

5 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

Yeah I also believe that Madonna's controversial figure will be mentioned everywhere but not really supported musically by the media. So people will be loving Like A Virgin and True Blue, her problem free eras. 

I do want her to leave behind a Black Star album like David Bowie did though. A record of death and confession with songs like Lament and Drowned World.

I have to agree a lot of controversial moments will be highlighted and what will be interested is how much they may paint her as a pioneer, etc, where in the past those same painted her as trash and a "has been", etc.  Though, I still think Like a Prayer the song and possibly the ROL album will definitely stand out as her musical best.  In fact, I'm sure LAP the song will probably be the huge go to song for people once she passes.  I can see songs like Material Girl and Holiday getting a huge high five as well. 

On 6/6/2023 at 10:02 AM, MPowered said:

We absolutely aren’t.

Ray of Light also isn’t trip hop entirely. It was early EDM, some Eurotrance (which was pretty new back then) among others. However, what makes it such a great album was, that it was a huge sonic, visual and lyrical re-invention for Madonna. It was like watching an entirely different artist. It’s the one Madonna album almost everyone (non-fans in particular) agree is a masterpiece. It’s viewed as the blueprint of a "comeback album" because its impact also helped Music be such a great success.

That said, nobody said she invented anything. However, the blend of dance music and philosophical, spiritual and deeply personal lyrics was quite unique. The album had massive impact on a lot of artists that came after Madonna.

Sorry, I'm still not sure... yes, the album is often celebrated as the quintessential comeback album, but when it comes to music, I literally don't see it as an influential work: as I wrote before, in 1999 the music scene changed completely, and in 2000 Ray of Light' sound was already a thing of the past.

And, unpopular opinion, I still think that way too many ROL tracks sound like "Madonna trying to replicate Chemical Brothers, Bjork, Portishead, Fatboy Slim' sound". I thought the same in 1998 and I haven't changed my mind. It's still a good album, but IMHO a little overhyped and overrated: I'm not surprised that it's not her most streamed work.

1 hour ago, Renato Iodice said:

Sorry, I'm still not sure... yes, the album is often celebrated as the quintessential comeback album, but when it comes to music, I literally don't see it as an influential work: as I wrote before, in 1999 the music scene changed completely, and in 2000 Ray of Light' sound was already a thing of the past.

And, unpopular opinion, I still think that way too many ROL tracks sound like "Madonna trying to replicate Chemical Brothers, Bjork, Portishead, Fatboy Slim' sound". I thought the same in 1998 and I haven't changed my mind. It's still a good album, but IMHO a little overhyped and overrated: I'm not surprised that it's not her most streamed work.

Nah you're just being a tasteless hater.

From the “Legacy” section of Ray of Light's wiki page:

Ray of Light has been credited for bringing electronica music into global pop culture. The Los Angeles Times noted that "aside from occasional breakthroughs such as Fatboy Slim, electronica wasn't totally mainstream fare when Madonna released Ray of Light."[134] Until the album brought the genre to the top of music charts, according to author J. Randy Taraborrelli, "techno and electronica had, for years, been the music played at so-called raves, hugely popular, illegal underground parties taking place in abandoned warehouse and deserted areas on the outskirts of town all around the world."[135] AllMusic editor Liana Jonas stated that the album's title track has "brought mainstream attention to electronica music, which ascended from its underground status to wild popularity in the early 21st century."[136] The Observer's writer Daryl Deino called Ray of Light "a risk-taking album that helped define mainstream electronic dance music."[137]

Elliott H. Powell in an American Studies for New York University observed that Ray of Light made South Asian culture accessible to the American public in the 1990s.[138] Rhonda Hammer and Douglas Kellnerin their book Media/cultural Studies: Critical Approaches recalled that "the phenomenon of South Asian-inspired femininity as a Western media trend can be traced to February 1998, when pop icon Madonna released her video "Frozen"." They explained that "although Madonna did not initiate the fashion for Indian beauty accessories [...] she did propel it into the public eye by attracting the attention of the worldwide media."[139]

According to Taraborrelli, the album has been hailed as bold and refreshing in music of the late 1990s, which was dominated by boybands and teenage artists such as the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.[140] Larry Flick from Billboard said that the album "not only provided the chameleon-like artist with her first universally applauded critical success, it has also proved that she remains a vital figure amongst woefully fickle young audiences."[141] Music critic Lucy O'Briencommented: "1998's Ray of Light certainly rehabilitated Madonna's image. Up to that point she had still been written off as an average pop glamour girl who got lucky, but with this record she reached a whole new audience, proving that she was a good songwriter with an intensely productive talent."[142]Mary von Aue from Stereogum stated that "Ray of Light reestablished Madonna as a groundbreaking artist."[143]

Ray of Light has been featured on numerous critics' lists of greatest albums of all time. Rolling Stonemagazine placed the album at number 367 on the list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.[144] In September 2020, an updated edition of the Rolling Stone list was published, showing the album rising 145 spots, at number 222.[145] In 2001, a quarter of a million music fans on VH1 voted Ray of Light as the 10th of "100 Best Albums of All Time".[146] In 2003, Ray of Light was allocated at number 17 on Qmagazine readers' list of "100 Greatest Albums Ever".[147] The album is also included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.[148]Mojo magazine also listed Ray of Light at number 29 on "100 Modern Classics: The Greatest Albums of Our Lifetime".[149] In 2013, the album was also included at number 241 on NME magazine's list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time".[150]Canadian singer Nelly Furtado stated that she used Ray of Light as a template for her album Loose(2006).[151] English singer Adele named Ray of Lightas "one of the chief inspirations" for her third studio album, 25 (2015).[152] In September 2022, Pitchforkranked Ray of Light as the 55th best album of the 1990s, "Madonna's trying, with all her might, to evoke the blackest depths and most euphoric joys of the human heart. The album's title track sounds like it was forged inside a meteor; the surreal, pitch-black poem 'Mer Girl' is as still as death itself."[153]

Madonna herself has considered Ray of Light the most fulfilling evolution of her career, with her referencing it as the "quintessential Madonna album" in a 2013 Reddit AMA.[154][155]

1 hour ago, Mden said:

An album that is under-hyped and underrated. 
C841F482-79CB-42E0-ACB1-AEE28FE071C8.thumb.jpeg.826eb452ace6137a05748fd524b91fbf.jpeg

Had to sneak her in. Sorry.❤️MX

Maybe because it was downright trash? 🤮

2 hours ago, MPowered said:

Nah you're just being a tasteless hater.

Sorry, I rest my case and I won't change my mind. I don't care about the rhetoric about Ray of Light's legacy; how many Grammy have Like a Virgin, True Blue and Like a Prayer won? Zero. Are they as celebrated as Ray of Light with countless catchphrases such as "HER LAST GOOD ALBUM!", "HER ONLY MASTERPIECE!", "IT CHANGED MUSIC FOREVER!" and so on? No.

And so what?

Like a Virgin, True Blue and Like a Prayer are still her best selling albums, with some of her best selling/most memorable singles; and along with Confessions, they are the most streamed albums... and you know why? Because the general public and the casual listeners don't give a S. about rhetoric, reviews, awards and so on.

Her 80s stuff will always be her most celebrated production.

P.S. Anyway, I agree that Madame X is trash.

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Renato Iodice said:

Sorry, I rest my case and I won't change my mind. I don't care about the rhetoric about Ray of Light's legacy; how many Grammy have Like a Virgin, True Blue and Like a Prayer won? Zero. Are they as celebrated as Ray of Light with countless catchphrases such as "HER LAST GOOD ALBUM!", "HER ONLY MASTERPIECE!", "IT CHANGED MUSIC FOREVER!" and so on? No.

And so what?

Like a Virgin, True Blue and Like a Prayer are still her best selling albums, with some of her best selling/most memorable singles; and along with Confessions, they are the most streamed albums... and you know why? Because the general public and the casual listeners don't give a S. about rhetoric, reviews, awards and so on.

Her 80s stuff will always be her most celebrated production.

P.S. Anyway, I agree that Madame X is trash.

Speaking of overrated… :Madonna003: Like a Virgin and pretty much everything on it is only celebrated by journalists who didn’t bother enough to dig deeper into her discography and only remember Madonnamania.

Frozen and its Renaissance are a testament to Ray of Light's impact. It’s the ONE album you can even expect to see in a straight guys' CD collection. That along with Like a Prayer and maybe even COADF if they're slightly fruity.

Like a Prayer, Ray of Light and COADF are the three albums that were CRITICALLY and COMMERCIALLY acclaimed. These three albums pretty much ushered in all three of Madonna's ultimate career peaks: 1990, 1998/9, 2005/6. By the time Ray of Light came out, the GP seemed to have entirely forgotten and forgiven her for Erotica/SEX. Same with COADF and American Life. There is a reason two of these are the poll winners.

In terms of SINGLES, I agree the 80s are and will probably be more present to the GP. However, in the 90s she was a mega force in terms of visual media. A lot of her not-so-successful singles are remembered for their videos and therefore stayed present in the public mind and ROL had BOTH. The reason TPOG and NRM didn’t do as well on the charts was simply because the physical CDs were released long after the songs had peaked on airplay. They tried to go for album sales over single sales which in turn resulted in rather poor charting (in the US). Everywhere else, the era was quite a huge success. Considering she was already in her 16th career year, that is a huge feat. 

2 hours ago, MPowered said:

Speaking of overrated… :Madonna003: Like a Virgin and pretty much everything on it is only celebrated by journalists who didn’t bother enough to dig deeper into her discography and only remember Madonnamania.

Frozen and its Renaissance are a testament to Ray of Light's impact. It’s the ONE album you can even expect to see in a straight guys' CD collection. That along with Like a Prayer and maybe even COADF if they're slightly fruity.

Like a Prayer, Ray of Light and COADF are the three albums that were CRITICALLY and COMMERCIALLY acclaimed. These three albums pretty much ushered in all three of Madonna's ultimate career peaks: 1990, 1998/9, 2005/6. By the time Ray of Light came out, the GP seemed to have entirely forgotten and forgiven her for Erotica/SEX. Same with COADF and American Life. There is a reason two of these are the poll winners.

"Overrated" doesn't mean "bad", and I'm not pretending to ignore Ray of Light's critical and commercial success that paved the road for Music and Confessions.

Ray of Light a very good album, but I don't think that, outside its fanbase, it will ever be her most beloved album... yes, I know that it's still her most awarded, its videos are sumptuous and so on, but the general public will always gravitate towards her "funniest" albums.

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)