POPULAR

Well, is it the next Vogue, Like a Prayer or Hung Up? NO. But does every track this woman gets involved or writes herself needs to be a perfect, iconic, 11 out of 10 pop song? NO.

Maybe it is healthy (and fair) to just enjoy a nice soundtrack featuring song for its pleasantness rather than compare against a 40 years catalog full of highs. She already have more than a dozen of perfect pop singles, more than 5 perfect pop albums. Not every release has to be better than everything that came before and/or set a new career high. 

29 minutes ago, steady75 said:

hmm does Abel even produce though? 

Like..the song is a cute girl but if this was in the middle of Hard Candy people would be raking it 7/8th in album rankings. 

I just think we've sunk so low as a community after the last few remixes and features that this just feels like a relief. 

Not hating and it'll do well but Medellin, Crave, Future and IDSIF were better tbh. 

Abel needs to do more if he wants my endorsement for a whole album. 

I think he has approximately three songs that are compatible with anything Madonna has ever put out as a single. 

Keep Dreaming Season 2 GIF by The Chi

37 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Like..the song is a cute girl but if this was in the middle of Hard Candy people would be raking it 7/8th in album rankings. 

I just think we've sunk so low as a community after the last few remixes and features that this just feels like a relief. 

Not hating and it'll do well but Medellin, Crave, Future and IDSIF were better tbh. 

I think he has approximately three songs that are compatible with anything Madonna has ever put out as a single. 

So 10 years of writing and producing his albums, producing some major successful songs which has made a dent in recent pop culture counts for nothing?  Sorry, and as you all know I'm a major stan of Madonna's, but even I know he's produce some stellar music that blows anything away that was on Madame X.  He's got over thirty top 40 and over twenty of them went top 10 and nearly half of them went number one.  Numerous of his songs hit diamond status in multiple countries.  He's written and worked with many other artists over the years as well.

I'm pretty sure he's got the credentials.  The thing is; I am not a huge fan of his, but I can recognize he's highly talented as a writer and producer. At this point, it's pretty subjective, especially if you're not a fan of his music.

53 minutes ago, diegolcl said:

Well, is it the next Vogue, Like a Prayer or Hung Up? NO. But does every track this woman gets involved or writes herself needs to be a perfect, iconic, 11 out of 10 pop song? NO.

Maybe it is healthy (and fair) to just enjoy a nice soundtrack featuring song for its pleasantness rather than compare against a 40 years catalog full of highs. She already have more than a dozen of perfect pop singles, more than 5 perfect pop albums. Not every release has to be better than everything that came before and/or set a new career high. 

I feel this can't be said enough! Not everything has to be a ground breaking work of art, it can be a pleasant song, that's catchy and cool.

Expecting the next Frozen or Hung Up every time is setting yourself up for disappointment. Not only that but with more modern music, I don't find many songs hit these days. There's only been a handful of new songs I've loved in the last 3 years, whereas in 2005, every other song release was gold. I think flowers by Miley was the last song that I couldn't stop playing, nothing else this year has come close. But I like this, summery vibe, great vocal and it might well be a hit (in the USA at the very least, Vulgar may do better in the UK). 

12 hours ago, milotjuh said:

Loving the new track; her vocals sound fantastic and silky:hearteyes:

I finally got to hear this late last night and while I think the production is great, she is still singing in that weird way she has been mostly singing in since 2008. I don’t know what to call the style she is singing in, but it’s just not pleasing to my ear.

Vastly prefer the Sam Smith collab, but this should help her streaming #’s greatly.

8 minutes ago, graffitiheart89 said:

I feel this can't be said enough! Not everything has to be a ground breaking work of art, it can be a pleasant song, that's catchy and cool.

Expecting the next Frozen or Hung Up every time is setting yourself up for disappointment. Not only that but with more modern music, I don't find many songs hit these days. There's only been a handful of new songs I've loved in the last 3 years, whereas in 2005, every other song release was gold. I think flowers by Miley was the last song that I couldn't stop playing, nothing else this year has come close. But I like this, summery vibe, great vocal and it might well be a hit (the the USA at the very least, Vulgar may do better in the UK). 

Yeah, I'm thinking Vulger might make an immediate impact and probably quickly fall. Meanwhile Popular will probably have a good impact, and keep burning for several months, which is a sign of a good song. 

Music comes and goes so quickly today. Attention spans are the issue.  No one really wants to put in the time in, enjoying a song.  They hear it and then move on.  Everything is so immediate and within the fan bases, they're always looking for the next thing.  No savoring at all!

9 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

What a great track. It’s very Neptunes 2001 and she sounds incredible. 

It’s very Hard Candy 2008. 

8 hours ago, Starchild said:

I really like her vocals and how they were produced. What a pleasant surprise. And she doesn't sounds cringe!

Really?

She is still using that cringe stylistic vocal choice that she’s been mainly using since 2008.

Her voice sounds no different than it has sounded for over 10 years.

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

Agreed.

Looking at Abel’s album credits, he writes and produces with 4-10 people per song like everyone else.

He is no musical genius.

8 minutes ago, milingo83 said:

Worldwide iTunes Song Chart - 2023/06/02:

#3 (NEW) 01 The Weeknd, Playboi Carti & Madonna - Popular

European iTunes Song Chart - 2023/06/02:

#2 (NEW) 01 The Weeknd, Playboi Carti & Madonna - Popular

Thank you.  I've noticed the song within hours quickly rose to the top 10 US Itunes charts.  It's #8 in the All Category section.

The two Youtube Audio/Visualizers videos on The Weeknd's channel have reached nearly a million streams combined as of now.

1 hour ago, tscott said:

Thank you.  I've noticed the song within hours quickly rose to the top 10 US Itunes charts.  It's #8 in the All Category section.

The two Youtube Audio/Visualizers videos on The Weeknd's channel have reached nearly a million streams combined as of now.

I cant seem to find it on itunes Australia.  Strange.  But luving the track

13 minutes ago, tscott said:

Yes, it's current, but it has similar R&B vibes to some of the Hard Candy tracks.  I think that is what many are getting at. 

but it really does sound like the mid-2000s r'n'b.... Current r'n'b is more aggressive sounding, this is much smoother

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

but it really does sound like the mid-2000s r'n'b.... Current r'n'b is more aggressive sounding, this is much smoother

Yes, which that goes back to why some feel it reminds them of Hard Candy.  For me, it does remind me of the Neptunes and Pharell tracks.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic
  • RUADJAI featured this topic