MDNA Vinyl Repress coming this July

thegoldencalf

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

For a "trend" vinyl seems to be doing rather alright, given that's it's been around since 1948 if I'm not mistaken. Each to their own, but I listen to vinyl all the time and will take it over a CD any day. :)

Oh, vinyl has been selling well since 1990?

You are arguing that vinyl hasn’t turned back into a trend over the last few years and that vinyl has always been this popular? :thinker:

58 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Personally I like CDs, I do buy vinyls but I don’t really enjoy the sound, I buy just because I really like the big artwork! 😍👍🏼

That’s why most people buy vinyl these days.

I prefer the vinyl experience, it just doesn’t have better sound quality than CD and you can’t carry vinyl in your car and play it.

6 hours ago, Ayham said:

Personally I like CDs, I do buy vinyls but I don’t really enjoy the sound, I buy just because I really like the big artwork! 😍👍🏼

The artwork is a plus indeed.

I will say that the real plus to current technology such as streaming or digital files, it's easier to carry that with you.  But those who enjoy Vinyl tend to be versatile.  They know that they can't take Vinyl everywhere.  The same with cassettes or CDs.  So those are formats more enjoyed at home.  When I'm buying a Vinyl, the last thing I'm rationalizing is if I can take this and play it just anywhere.  Pretty absurd to think otherwise.   But what I like is that in this day and age, we have an option of many formats to enjoy within the occasion it fits.  :)

1 hour ago, Ayham said:

Bingo.

Love the larger cover art on vinyl.

Such a fun experience holding that jacket in your hand while listening to the music. :)

9 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

I don’t think many would buy it.

There seems to be no promo behind it.

The song is to promote his tv show and that is getting a lot of press (mostly bad press though.)

And I think they will want to sell vinyls of the soundtrack so I doubt there will be a vinyl single.

I have noticed artists don’t really promote music anymore, they just buy places on radio and streaming playlists. I read this song is already A listed on Radio 1 in the uk but I don’t know if that’s true? The Kylie fans are fretting…

2 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Would y'all guys like a vinyl or CD single for Popular? "7 or "12

Since this will be released under Republic record and have just checked The Weeknd discogs, it seems like they hardly release any physical formats.

The last time they did it was back in 2020 for the Blinding Lights... it comes with > 40 different type of formats !?!?!?!?! :eyes:

6 minutes ago, LongIslandTea said:

Since this will be released under Republic record and have just checked The Weeknd discogs, it seems like they hardly release any physical formats.

The last time they did it was back in 2020 for the Blinding Lights... it comes with > 40 different type of formats !?!?!?!?! :eyes:

I guess we are gonna have to wait for bootlegs...

gordon ramsay facepalm GIF

On 6/2/2023 at 9:26 AM, BuggedOut said:

CD’s are a trend :laughing:

Wether you prefer the warm sound of vinyl or the sound of a CD, it’s indisputable that CD’s feature the best sound on a media format.

Theres a reason they don’t use vinyl recordings on Blu-ray, DVD, etc. as the source of the sound for films.

Vinyl, right now, is a trend.

At this stage it's a 17 year 'trend' that is growing year by year but lets not let facts get in the way of your narrative 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_revival

8 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

At this stage it's a 17 year 'trend' that is growing year by year but lets not let facts get in the way of your narrative 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_revival

Vinyl was huge before 1990 and has become a new trend over the last few years, ripping consumers off by the outlandish costs.

In the late 90’s, I could buy used vinyl for $5 and less. Now? They are all over $20 used. Minimum.

Vinyl has become popular again. It is a trend.

11 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Vinyl was huge before 1990 and has become a new trend over the last few years, ripping consumers off by the outlandish costs.

In the late 90’s, I could buy used vinyl for $5 and less. Now? They are all over $20 used. Minimum.

Vinyl has become popular again. It is a trend.

The vinyl resurgence started in 2007. In recent years it has elevated and overtook CD sales. Second hand vinyl prices have sharply risen as it is a very desirable format for all generations. It's growing every year since. It's not just 'over the last few years' - few decades - yes 

Well I think you are both right technically. The resurge started around 2007 but it picked up drastically in the past 5 years as this chart shows with sales doubling.

I remember in the 90's and early 2000's I could buy vinyls for 1 or 2 dollars each in second hand stores. NOBODY wanted them.

vinyl-sales-riaa-1.webp

36 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

The vinyl resurgence started in 2007. In recent years it has elevated and overtook CD sales. Second hand vinyl prices have sharply risen as it is a very desirable format for all generations. It's growing every year since. It's not just 'over the last few years' - few decades - yes 

A decade is 10 years, so a decade and a half.

Vinyl was hugely popular before 1990. Then it wasn’t and now it is again. It’s trendy to be into vinyl at the moment.

28 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Well I think you are both right technically. The resurge started around 2007 but it picked up drastically in the past 5 years as this chart shows with sales doubling.

I remember in the 90's and early 2000's I could buy vinyls for 1 or 2 dollars each in second hand stores. NOBODY wanted them.

vinyl-sales-riaa-1.webp

Exactly.

Not sure what the arguing back and forth is about.

It’s not an opinion that vinyl, especially right now, is trendy.

There were YEARS and YEARS where nobody wanted vinyl. People know this.

Such bizarre things people choose to quibble about.

It’s like arguing over wether a clear sky is blue.

8 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Exactly.

Not sure what the arguing back and forth is about.

It’s not an opinion that vinyl, especially right now, is trendy.

There were YEARS and YEARS where nobody wanted vinyl. People know this.

Such bizarre things people choose to quibble about.

It’s like arguing over wether a clear sky is blue.

It’s just a different perspective. I think vinyl is more than a passing trend. I think it proves that people have a need to collect physical copies of their favourite music and artists.

We all assumed digital files and then streaming would kill physical copies.

I actually was collecting vinyls well before it was trendy though. I think that’s the case for a lot of us Madonna fans. So maybe that’s why some fans don’t see it as a trend , because they actually never stopped buying them.

I got rid of all my cassettes but always kept vinyl. Silly me, some of my cassettes I threw in the bin are now worth money.

8 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

It’s just a different perspective. I think vinyl is more than a passing trend. I think it proves that people have a need to collect physical copies of their favourite music and artists.

We all assumed digital files and then streaming would kill physical copies.

I actually was collecting vinyls well before it was trendy though. I think that’s the case for a lot of us Madonna fans. So maybe that’s why some fans don’t see it as a trend , because they actually never stopped buying them.

I got rid of all my cassettes but always kept vinyl. Silly me, some of my cassettes I threw in the bin are now worth money.

Well, yea. I never said it was a passing trend.

But us older folks have been here before and vinyl was popular for many years and then wasn’t for many years. When something does that, it’s a trend.

Do I think vinyl will still be as big as it now is 20 years? Absolutely not. Therefore it’s a trend. A very popular one at the moment.

Now had vinyl sales been steadily increasing since the 70’s, I’d agree that it is not passing, but again, by 1990 vinyl sales dropped drastically.

And now they are popular again and record companies are making a killing.

I collect good vinyl sets by my two fav artists, but vinyl for all listening needs is a pain in the butt for many reasons.

All power to the vinyl lovers. 

It will be interesting to see what happens. I do wonder if with the rise in lossless streaming and atmos audio if vinyl will see a dip in popularity.

The artists/labels are currently milking it but I’m not convinced this will last. There will always be people that like collecting but I wonder if some people who are into it now will tire of it. It can’t compare to the convenience of streaming especially if we can stream uncompressed high quality audio.

37 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Well, yea. I never said it was a passing trend.

But us older folks have been here before and vinyl was popular for many years and then wasn’t for many years. When something does that, it’s a trend.

Do I think vinyl will still be as big as it now is 20 years? Absolutely not. Therefore it’s a trend. A very popular one at the moment.

Now had vinyl sales been steadily increasing since the 70’s, I’d agree that it is not passing, but again, by 1990 vinyl sales dropped drastically.

And now they are popular again and record companies are making a killing.

I collect good vinyl sets by my two fav artists, but vinyl for all listening needs is a pain in the butt for many reasons.

All power to the vinyl lovers. 

I do agree it’s a trend and no doubt it’ll pass and then come back like flare jeans or double denim lol 

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

the rise in lossless streaming and atmos audio

This market is sooooo niche.

Vinyl might not stay as popular as it is today but record companies will always try to sell you material things (CD, vinyl) because they make more money out of it.

There's also a whole economy system with second hand shops and websites, not counting the cultural impact of collections and etc. There ain't such a thing for digital files save for illegal sharing sites, since NFT failed (hurray).

29 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

This market is sooooo niche.

Vinyl might not stay as popular as it is today but record companies will always try to sell you material things (CD, vinyl) because they make more money out of it.

There's also a whole economy system with second hand shops and websites, not counting the cultural impact of collections and etc. There ain't such a thing for digital files save for illegal sharing sites, since NFT failed (hurray).

It is niche now but that doesn’t mean it will stay that way . 

Vinyl decreased because they stopped printing records towards the biggest advertising with CDs. I remember the pamphlet that came with YCD praising the unbreakable / unscratchable qualities of a cd. Also CD came along products to play CDs on the go: disc man and portable + car players. That was all a great selling point and I'm sure lobbied by electronic brands to push for sales.

Just after that it was the race for the smallest portable gadget and the explosion of Mp3s.

But right now everyone plays from their phone.

The vinyls got back because people were missing better quality sound and the physicality of it, seeing the artwork, having something tangible. I don't think is a trend but now stream is a business apart form the collection side of it.

And it's something that they can made different products and collectibles charging a  lot.