The Weeknd Teases Viewers Will Hear ‘More of’ Madonna in ‘The Idol’

proxy

15 hours ago, MadonnasPussy said:

But for the love of God keep Playboi Carti AWAY!  Kill it with fire before it lays eggs !

I now detest Playboi Carti as much as That Cursed Madonna DJ who remixed Levitating

You sound like a really nice person. Good luck in all of your endeavours!

Playboi Carti is actually really popular and he is probably the major lure for a lot of listeners. I watched a bunch of reaction videos on YouTube and they were mostly casual fans of The Weeknd, but all were hugely anticipatory of Carti’s return after several years. They all spoke a lot over Madonna’s verse because they were bummed that Carti’s contribution up until that point was so minimal with the loop of his “money on top of me, money on top of her”, which seemed to confirm that Madonna’s feature isn’t the highlight for mainstream listeners. All that said, it’s great that people are hearing Madonna sing again…I think a lot of younger people think Madonna is a mediocre singer because they have only heard heavily processed vocals from her in recent years, and a lot of older people think she can’t sing anymore as they write her off as old and past her prime. The sweetness and soulfulness of her vocals here might be subdued and unostentatious, but it’s a gorgeous reminder of how warm and inviting her voice can be. I think it does come down to how her vocals are recorded and produced to some degree…I am reminded of Madonna’s contribution to Annie Lennox’ Sing. I always felt her vocals sounded wrong as they didn’t match the production of Annie’s voice. To me she sounded lackluster and lost in the mix, whereas here she sounds in her element. 

5 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Playboi Carti is actually really popular and he is probably the major lure for a lot of listeners. I watched a bunch of reaction videos on YouTube and they were mostly casual fans of The Weeknd, but all were hugely anticipatory of Carti’s return after several years. They all spoke a lot over Madonna’s verse because they were bummed that Carti’s contribution up until that point was so minimal with the loop of his “money on top of me, money on top of her”, which seemed to confirm that Madonna’s feature isn’t the highlight for mainstream listeners. All that said, it’s great that people are hearing Madonna sing again…I think a lot of younger people think Madonna is a mediocre singer because they have only heard heavily processed vocals from her in recent years, and a lot of older people think she can’t sing anymore as they write her off as old and past her prime. The sweetness and soulfulness of her vocals here might be subdued and unostentatious, but it’s a gorgeous reminder of how warm and inviting her voice can be. I think it does come down to how her vocals are recorded and produced to some degree…I am reminded of Madonna’s contribution to Annie Lennox’ Sing. I always felt her vocals sounded wrong as they didn’t match the production of Annie’s voice. To me she sounded lackluster and lost in the mix, whereas here she sounds in her element. 

Wow

I don’t care for Abel, but I certainly know who he is.

I’ve never heard of this avg looking guy named Playboi lol

However she can gain more listeners is great!

1 minute ago, Alibaba said:

Playboi Carti is actually really popular and he is probably the major lure for a lot of listeners. I watched a bunch of reaction videos on YouTube and they were mostly casual fans of The Weeknd, but all were hugely anticipatory of Carti’s return after several years. They all spoke a lot over Madonna’s verse because they were bummed that Carti’s contribution up until that point was so minimal with the loop of his “money on top of me, money on top of her”, which seemed to confirm that Madonna’s feature isn’t the highlight for mainstream listeners. All that said, it’s great that people are hearing Madonna sing again…I think a lot of younger people think Madonna is a mediocre singer because they have only heard heavily processed vocals from her in recent years, and a lot of older people think she can’t sing anymore as they write her off as old and past her prime. The sweetness and soulfulness of her vocals here might be subdued and unostentatious, but it’s a gorgeous reminder of how warm and inviting her voice can be. 

I've never heard of him until this song, but I am not into his sort of music.  I prefer to hear more Madonna in this than him.  Still, I'm happy his presence is helping this song get a lot of exposure. But we can't dismiss where The Weeknd stands in popularity.  Like @Prayerhas stated regarding him specifically in the Spotify thread, he is #1 followed artist and has a 105 million streams a month.  So no doubt, it's his popularity and the interest of Playboi Carti really driving the success of this.  Meanwhile, Madonna is in it for the ride.  It's a good thing because those who like this song, may start checking out Madonna more.  In fact, her Spotify presences have jumped up over 30 positions since the release of this song.  That's the best it's ever been.  Exposure is the key here.  They all three win here.  Sometimes, it takes collabs like this to bring someone who hasn't been as successful back into the forefront.  It reminds me back in the 80s when Run DMC did a cover of Aerosmith's Walk This Way featuring Aerosmith.  It was that collaboration that brought Aerosmith back on top again.  In fact, they ended up gaining much more success for years after that.  Now, I'm not saying the same is going to happen here, but sometimes these sort of collabs light a fire and then it takes off.  We can hope Madonna will benefit from this positive exposure. 

3 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Wow

I don’t care for Abel, but I certainly know who he is.

I’ve never heard of this avg looking guy named Playboi lol

However she can gain more listeners is great!

To clarify, they all know who Abel is. He’s considered a legend by the hyperbolic youth of today. I’d compare it to how a casual Madonna fan in 1994 would feel about her new material while stanning for pj harvey or Björk. 😂