“Papa Don’t Preach” has just been certified platinum

proxy

2 minutes ago, zephyr in the sky at night said:

How does certifying singles actually work? I’m genuinely curious. I know that fans always complain her team hasn’t updated these in years, but what exactly do they have to do?

Sorry if that sounds dumb! I just don’t know enough about it.

I think someone said before that the RIAA doesn't do it for free, so Madonna's label would need to pay the fee for it to re-calculate all her sales and issue certifications.

3 hours ago, zephyr in the sky at night said:

How does certifying singles actually work? I’m genuinely curious. I know that fans always complain her team hasn’t updated these in years, but what exactly do they have to do?

Sorry if that sounds dumb! I just don’t know enough about it.

The label has to request it and pay for it. That's why for years her Warner US certifications were forgotten and not updated, she wasn't part of the label so they were not gonna spend money and time doing that.

Since she came back to them they've been updating some certifications, like "The Immaculate Collection" (when they released the Dolby Atmos version digitally) or now "Papa", with the digital single. I guess they'll use it for promo, for instance another new certification if an album reissue finally comes out in the near future.

In the end they're useful for hype and promo.

7 hours ago, Andreo said:

Only 1M copies in the USA? WTF? 

That's a lot though.  But I'm sure if they held off the release of the album, the single may have sold more at the time. The album was released just a couple of weeks after the single was released.  The song was just building momentum on the charts and didn't get to #1 until August. Imagine the sales if they held off the release of the album. Though, I'm sure the record label prefer the sales go to the album instead which is understandable.