Jump to content

Madonna did not like Evita


Recommended Posts

The only two great examples of Madonna's decent acting are DSS and Evita. 

There are some other movies like A League of Their Own , but in those movies there were a lot of characters, so it wasn't that hard to be solid in it. 

When she is the main character, then there are issues. She is too self-conscious, which makes her stiff and awkward. Some people here are trying too hard to be nice about Madonna and claim some movies had bad plots, without pointing out that Madonna's acting was horrible (Shanghai Surprise).  And being able to look nice isn't an acting skill. 

In DSS she pulled it off, because she wasn't trying too hard and in Evita she succeed because it was a musical. So when @LongIslandTea mentions singing/dancing/posing, it isn't really incorrect. Of course, Evita isn't just about posing. I wouldn't even use that word, but some of you focused just on that without realizing that Evita was a known territory for Madonna because it involved singing and dancing, and she a singer and a dancer. Maybe it is unfair to call Evita  a music video, but it is close to that and those kind of movies work for Madonna. It also works for Lady Gaga, another artist who is really a mediocre actress. The only difference is that Gaga is overrated, while Madonna gets too much hate. Even Gaga serves awkward scenes, when she doesn't sing and dance in a movie.

The problem with Lady Gaga and Madonna is that they are big stars and in movies you usually see them and not characters. They are usually like robots trying to mimic real people.

Madonna tires too hard, which doesn't make her believable as a human being. Another thing is when she tries to impersonate her idols (Dick Tracy). What is with her voice?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, Madonna has a problem with someone else telling her what to do. And when she listens, like in Evita, she is good.

If you didn't notice, she played pretty much the same characters. Young, sexy, cool... You can't be an actress and stick to the same roles that show how pretty you can be. 

There was a rumor she was insulted when Britney asked her to play her mother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2024 at 11:55 PM, Donna said:

No doubt, you are onto something.  Shanghai definitely was a blow to her acting, but like you pointed out I really didn't feel she acted bad in it. It was just unfortunately an awful film. As for WTG, the whole film was just a complete farce and over the top, so of course it got panned. But again, I love how she portrayed Niki Finn. It was all over the place. Many alter egos going on in that role, but it was still fun and her character was just very loveable. 

She was bad in Shanghai Surprise, not just the movie itself.

WTG is one of those cute comedy movies. It is mediocre, like Madonna's acting, but people gave it too much hate, considering there were many similar movies in the 80s. It is one of those fun movies where I don't care about the acting. It is a comedy, so nobody should expect actors to deliver some Oscar level acting. Worse comedy movies are done these days and aren't dragged for bad quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Justice said:

There was a rumor she was insulted when Britney asked her to play her mother.

So was it just a rumor?

Anyways... A role I'd beg for M to accept would be Mother Mary if some movie studio has the balls to bring J. J. Benitez's Caballo de Troya series to theaters... For sure THIS Mother Mary she'd love to portrait!!!

"TO THE HELL WITH THE LAWS OF MOSES!" - just one quote from THIS Mother Mary; sorry for having my @A. A. Aardvark's moment rn...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2024 at 11:36 PM, Alpha said:

In a world where she didnt walk out on Music of the Heart, Chicago, or the Matrix her few flops would've been forgotten and we mightve had her sticking to acting vs music.

She actually could have been good in Chicago. In other movies definitely not.

Let's face it,  a successful movie doesn't mean a successful acting. The Matrix could have been a hit with Madonna, but she would have been a stiff Dita with some awkward accent. 

BTW I think she only wanted to act in Chicago. They didn't offer her any role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Justice said:

She was bad in Shanghai Surprise, not just the movie itself.

WTG is one of those cute comedy movies. It is mediocre, like Madonna's acting, but people gave it too much hate, considering there were many similar movies in the 80s. It is one of those fun movies where I don't care about the acting. It is a comedy, so nobody should expect actors to deliver some Oscar level acting. Worse comedy movies are done these days and aren't dragged for bad quality.

I shared MY opinion and you shared YOUR opinion.  YEAH for us!

40o264.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had to quote my favorite musical movies, Evita would never ever been it it.

I like the soundtrack alone. The movie is totally shitty and bad.

 

My top will always be The umbrellas of Cherbourg (also a 0% speaking/100% sung movie, but a really good one) and Les demoiselles de Rochefort (The young ladies from Rochefort).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2024 at 10:49 AM, Justice said:

She actually could have been good in Chicago. In other movies definitely not.

Let's face it,  a successful movie doesn't mean a successful acting. The Matrix could have been a hit with Madonna, but she would have been a stiff Dita with some awkward accent. 

BTW I think she only wanted to act in Chicago. They didn't offer her any role.

Her acting in who's that girl was perfectly believable. Nikki Finn is a whole other person nothing like Madonna. Love that movie and ignore the hate attached to it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, shakeyerdix said:

???

She never sung a single note on it and she's dubbed by a real singer for both movies. Which doesn't affect on Deneuve carrer that is still extremely impressive.

She sings for real on the soundtrack album. Anyway, I don't like that woman. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2024 at 7:29 PM, Gonzus said:

She sings for real on the soundtrack album. Anyway, I don't like that woman. 

Catherine Deneuve don't sing on any soundtrack of these movies. You know the subject very bad !

Daniele Licari and Anne Germain are singing Catherine Deneuve parts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2024 at 12:49 AM, Justice said:

BTW I think she only wanted to act in Chicago. They didn't offer her any role.

She signed on for it after Evita, it was to be produced by and co-starring Goldie Hawn. Harvey Weinstein pulled the plug on that and took it in a different direction (with younger actresses.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, shakeyerdix said:

You know the subject very bad

I know it better than you speak english, LOL. Anyway, I looked it up and you were right. That doesn't mean that Deneuve sings terribly; did you ever listen to Gainsbourg's "Dieu est un fumeur de havanes"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Gonzus said:

I know it better than you speak english, LOL. Anyway, I looked it up and you were right. That doesn't mean that Deneuve sings terribly; did you ever listen to Gainsbourg's "Dieu est un fumeur de havanes"?

I'm French... Of course I know this song and the whole album that Gainsbourg did with her which is particularly bad. But Jacques Demy movies are most interesting and incredible musicals of the world. La la land was an assumed hommage to Demy. 

And Evita could be, in a way compared to The umbrellas of Cherbourg in a way : it's a non stop sung movie. But Evita is for me nothing but boring and failed. Not a single charm. Even if Evita soundtrack is amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shakeyerdix said:

The umbrellas of Cherbourg in a way : it's a non stop sung movie

I know, I watched it 15 years ago. The film's dialogue is entirely sung as recitative, including casual conversation, and is sung-through, or through-composed, like some operas and stage musicals. I agree with you in that Evita is a bore, but she lobbied a LOT to get good reviews and did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gonzus said:

I know, I watched it 15 years ago. The film's dialogue is entirely sung as recitative, including casual conversation, and is sung-through, or through-composed, like some operas and stage musicals. I agree with you in that Evita is a bore, but she lobbied a LOT to get good reviews and did. 

Madonna is not the one to blame but Alan Parker is. She sings well, she is there. She is Eva Peron. Nothing to complain. But at the end the movie is made by a director. The editing is important. And Parker made Evita too massive. Lack of simplicity. Lack of charm. Antonio Banderas is a good player but was he supposed to sing ? He sings well but after few songs, you don't want to ear him anymore because it's always same way to sing without any nuances (shade ?) > limited english...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Write here...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use