Wait, but why did she re-release LDLHA?

Lum

But there are absolutely NO DIFFERENCES between LDLHA 1984 and the so called 1995 remix on STR album.

It's a mistake they did. Guess the Silky soul was supposed to be on the album at the begining?

No, it cannot be a mistake because Something To Remember has these credits:

Remix produced, engineered and mixed by David ReitzasRemix keyboards performed by Jan Mullaney

While the Soulpower remix was done by Soulshock & Karlin (who produced Whitney Houston's Heartbreak Hotel).

Some people are seriously deaf  :laughing:

Don't you notice the use of different instrumentation on the STR version? More piano, more strings, even her voice was kind of emphasized so it sounds more neurotic: a real mess  :lord: It also has the same 80s voice we can hear when it hasn't been sped up like in Like a Virgin or Into the Groove.

Okay I checked both mp3s back to back and you're right, the differences are quite notable if you pay attention. :)

In the first 10 seconds you can hear synths and piano in STR version but LAV version doesn't have them.

At the 1:50 mark, in LAV version the drums come earlier, in STR version they are late.

I guess I never really bothered to check until now! :D

So LAV version

So STR version (quite similar, let's say... even if call it "remix" is a bit too much cos they're quite too similar)

So single version, the actual remix: SoulPower.

Warner released Crazy for You (Remix) in 1991 and it was the "same" Immaculate Collection version, an album virtually composed of remixes or recreations.

As much as I love LDLHA, I still wonder why they chose THIS song for a re-release single. I mean, it's a haunting ballad... but I don't think it was a good promotional choice for Something To Remember. Her voice is strange compared to the majority of the collected songs. And it's nothing like her Evita voice that was about to appear with Take A Bow. And the remixes do nothing for me. The original version is so much better IMO.

But then again I like the concept to re-release an old song to promote something new. Just imagine remix singles for GHV2 oder Celebration! :Madonna024:

am i the only one that LOVES the soulpower remix over the original version?

im sorry but the original sounds like a midi file, its irritating lol

I'm with you on this one. The Soulpower Remix is the only incarnation of this song I can handle. Rose Royce's original is a masterpiece though.

As much as I love LDLHA, I still wonder why they chose THIS song for a re-release single. I mean, it's a haunting ballad... but I don't think it was a good promotional choice for Something To Remember. Her voice is strange compared to the majority of the collected songs. And it's nothing like her Evita voice that was about to appear with Take A Bow. And the remixes do nothing for me. The original version is so much better IMO.

As discussed above, it was a proper commercial choice back in the mid-90s, it's a cover of a famous song, continued the theme of Take A Bow / You'll See and they had to release something to bridge the gap until Evita. Of course the Something To Remember videos had the smallest budget for a Madonna project since she became a star so no wonder it didn't get much attention...

• 1 year later...

The remix on the album is a slight change from the 1984 recording. I would also prefer the Soulpower Remix used in the video. A much better one.

For the singles, I guess the UK received 'Oh Father' as the second single whereas the US received 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore'. As much as I like the latter, the first one was nothing new and I don't think it was fit for a single. Too bad that 'I Want You' didn't get a shot. The video is lovely and the ballad itself is absolutely wonderful. When it comes to 'One More Chance', it is probably my least favorite Madonna single ever, but with a proper promotion, it would have fared better on the UK charts.

• 4 months later...

As discussed above, it was a proper commercial choice back in the mid-90s, it's a cover of a famous song, continued the theme of Take A Bow / You'll See and they had to release something to bridge the gap until Evita. Of course the Something To Remember videos had the smallest budget for a Madonna project since she became a star so no wonder it didn't get much attention...

Agree

I love the SoulPower mix of LDLHA and rarely listen to the album version/remix of it surprisingly yet loved it on RHT which was similar to the LAV version. It's simplistic (the video that is) and I'm glad she remembered this in '96 though it is a random and odd choice to release it as a single.

I still wish 'I Want You' had panned out. The video was amazing and the song is glorious.

This song, along with Over and Over were originally planned as singles from LAV. Unfortunately, back then Gambler (which was released by another label) and Into the Groove got in the way.

After Gambler, they tested the two songs in selected territories to decide which one should get the single spot (in case they did well enough). None of the two did that well so they scrapped them. Personally, I feel both of them deserved to be released as singles. It still bugs me that only two songs from the entire era got proper music videos.

Re-releasing the song was truly dumb. Instead, Warner should have tried to clear the rights for I Want You which truly deserved to be a single at that time.

This song, along with Over and Over were originally planned as singles from LAV. Unfortunately, back then Gambler (which was released by another label) and Into the Groove got in the way.

After Gambler, they tested the two songs in selected territories to decide which one should get the single spot (in case they did well enough). None of the two did that well so they scrapped them. Personally, I feel both of them deserved to be released as singles. It still bugs me that only two songs from the entire era got proper music videos.

Re-releasing the song was truly dumb. Instead, Warner should have tried to clear the rights for I Want You which truly deserved to be a single at that time.

I don't think Warner was the issue here. I believe the intention was to "clear it", but if I recall it was Marvin Gaye's people or family refuse to give Madonna the rights to release it as a single. Since then, it's just been summed up as legality issues between Warners and Motown.  Personally, I am not even sure how she was able to include it on the album "Something to Remember" as I would think letting Madonna put it on her album as well as the Marvin Gaye tribute album is no difference than allowing her to release it as a single. Not sure  how that works, but again I believe the true culprit was Gaye's people who blocked the release.

i dont think I Want You(Despite the nice music video) would have been a hit commercially as it was a very slow and moody song ? The right choice was "You'll See" and im glad she stuck with that - i dont think One more chance should have been a single either as its a very weak song imo but hey ho we are talking 20 years ago now

As for LDLHA i like the video remix a lot more than both the album and STR version but i dont understand why she cut it from the Blu-ray and i suppose we will never know now ? :(( My only thought it she didnt like her vocal but surely she could have re-sung it in post production ??

i dont think I Want You(Despite the nice music video) would have been a hit commercially as it was a very slow and moody song ? The right choice was "You'll See" and im glad she stuck with that - i dont think One more chance should have been a single either as its a very weak song imo but hey ho we are talking 20 years ago now

As for LDLHA i like the video remix a lot more than both the album and STR version but i dont understand why she cut it from the Blu-ray and i suppose we will never know now ? :(( My only thought it she didnt like her vocal but surely she could have re-sung it in post production ??

Who really knows? She was on a roll with ballads at this time. I think "I Want You" would have done decently as a single. Then again, it was already a video rotated on MTV. So it wasn't like it didn't get exposure. I guess if people enjoyed it that much, it still could have been a decent hit based on the video. 

As for "One More Chance" that single was limited to a specific region. Though, I agree it was hardly as strong as "I'll Remember", "Take A Bow" and "You'll See" which were released more on an international level between '94 and '95.  "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" was hardly a hit either in most regions. 

I would have preferred re-done vocals for the LDLHA re-release. Madonna was just better at interpreting ballads by that point. I Want You is a great example of the subtle yearning that builds through the song to a subtle but powerful crescendo, not too disimilar to LDLHA, which, granted, has a bigger build, also her voice was so smooth and emotionally more resonant at that time. Still love the 84 vocals, but she would have done a much better job in 95.

I believe in the Evita Diaries for Vanity Fair she might have mentioned she couldn't be fu*ked doing the music video and had to be dragged along, lol. 

am i the only one that LOVES the soulpower remix over the original version?

I LOVE the soulpower remix!! I do like the original too but not as much. I also love the dance mixes.

I'm not sure new vocals would have sounded as good, her voice then was much softer. I don't think it made any difference to the success of the song, most people would have thought it was new.

Also the video is absolutely stunning!

i dont think I Want You(Despite the nice music video) would have been a hit commercially as it was a very slow and moody song ? The right choice was "You'll See" and im glad she stuck with that

I agree however 'I Want You' was intended as the first single, the only reason they didn't go with it was because of the conflict with Motown. Perhaps it was fortunate because I agree that 'You'll See' had more hit potential.